PlantFiles: Angel Trumpet, Angel's Trumpet
Brugmansia 'Frosty Pink'

Genus: Brugmansia (broog-MAN-zee-ah) (Info)
Cultivar: Frosty Pink

» View all varieties of Brugmansias

Blue-Green

From hardwood cuttings
By air layering

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Thumbnail #1 of Brugmansia  by dave

By Abutilon
Thumbnail #5 of Brugmansia  by Abutilon

Thumbnail #6 of Brugmansia  by dave

Thumbnail #7 of Brugmansia  by dave

Positive Shorty_CA On Dec 13, 2013, Shorty_CA from Manhattan Beach, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I am having a terrible time keeping this plant pest free. I live in a suburb of LA 2 miles from the ocean and I've tried almost everything to control the pests yet leaves of all ages turn yellow, crinkle up and die.

Today is December 13th and it's just starting to bloom again so I don't think the problem is lack of fertilizer.

You can see a picture of it at [HYPERLINK@dl.dropboxusercontent.com]

Positive grammysawyer On Mar 11, 2013, grammysawyer from Cottage Grove, TN wrote:

I love these plants. A friend who lives north of me in KY gave me several cuttings but did not mark which ones are what color. One is White and one is Pink. One has a fairly smooth bark and one has a rougher bark. Does anyone know which is which?

Positive MemphisP On Nov 14, 2012, MemphisP from Millington, TN wrote:

I have grown this cultivar for 4 years now and have turned one cutting given to me by my aunt into over 200 plants since then. I agree with most of the statements made by the person under me about preferring to be in the ground, and the sun, but I move quite often and therefore I keep 95% of my plants on containers and have had a lot of success growing frosty pink in containers. Lots of water, a wooden or white container, and fertilization every couple weeks is the key. If you can keep the hot midday sun from hitting the container or just keep the plant in a spot that is partly shaded then this plant will do well, and water thoroughly daily. I have great knowledge of this cultivar feel free to inbox me any questions.

Positive femluc On Dec 13, 2011, femluc from Elizabethton, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

My experience with the Brugs here in NE TN is that they prefer part sun and do prefer being in the ground. I had a white one a few years ago that dominated its space with fullness and had over a hundred blooms. I waited too late to cut it back and mulch it in the fall and a hard frost got to it.
This summer, I was lucky enough to have a peach Brug, but thought it might do okay growing in a flower pot. I was fooled, however in thinking that. The heat buildup was too much for the plant. It was continuously losing its leaves, I couldn't keep it watered well enough and it eventually fizzled out.
In the spring, I will have another Brug to plant and it will go in the ground in a place of its own. In the fall, it will be cut back, mulched and well covered and will be healthy the following spring.
These are tried and true tips for successful Brug growing in the Southeast, Zone 6a-b. They WILL overwinter outside as long as they are protected and they need LOTS OF WATER, almost daily, especially during the hottest part of the summer.

Positive dgarden11 On Dec 4, 2011, dgarden11 from Quitman, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Does well in our NE Texas sandy loam. We had a cold winter last year (10 degrees) and it was slow coming up. We had a terribly hot and dry summer, and it was not as showy as usual. But when the temps abated and a bit of rain finally came, they really put on a show! I cut stems each fall, before first hard frost, so I can share with my gardening buddies. Very fragrant in the evening, plant by your bedroom window and upwind from your porch so you can enjoy the fragrance on late summer evenings. Do not eat. Does well with some shade from the hot afternoon sun.

Neutral catblueplants On May 26, 2010, catblueplants from North Richland Hills, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have this pale yellow Angel Trumpet in a large pot & it wilts in the afternoon. Moved it from sun to full shade to almost full shade on patio. Still wilts in the afternoon. It is about 2 years old & only looks really nice in the early morning & late night. Give it a lot of water. What am I doing wrong?? HELP!
catblue@charter.net...Fort Worth, TX

Positive walkabout12 On Jan 29, 2010, walkabout12 wrote:

A popular, vigorous and free flowering Brugmansia.

Said to be a naturally-occurring hybrid with Brugmansia suaveolens in parentage.

Positive DenaBolton On Oct 1, 2009, DenaBolton from Johnson City, TN wrote:

My daughter has been growing angel trumpets in our zone 6 area of NE TN for years. She overwinters them outdoors, too. She has several different varieties and is now getting me into growing them. She says the way to overwinter them in our area is to wait until the trees die back completely before cutting them back. She usually does this around January. She just cuts the vining/bush type back after they've finished for the season and mulches them well. She says that those in containers will not overwinter outdoors and can't handle temps below 50 degrees, which is why my purple one is sitting in my living room blooming away right now. (Our nights have started getting cold.) I will be planting some in the ground next spring. I just love this plant!

Neutral Shyp On Oct 4, 2008, Shyp from Cobble Hill

Just got one given to me and it is about 8 feet by 4 feet. It is so beautiful, it is still full of blooms. I live in Zone 8 and not sure if it will winter outside here.Sure hope so.

Positive Delirious_Kat On Aug 1, 2008, Delirious_Kat from Whiteville, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Frosty Pink is my first Angel Trumpet and I LOVE it! I bought it as a 20 inch rooted cutting off Ebay from a man in Texas. Yesterday I saw my first bud bloom and I am thrilled to death! She is planted in a 5 gallon pot and now stands over 5 foot high and has 3 large main stems with more comming up from the base. When I 1st got her I fed her reg Miracle -Gro every 2 weeks and epson salt once a month. As soon as I saw the buds forming (a few weeks ago) I switched to Miracle-gro Bloom Booster (15-30-15) For bug control I use Schultz Garden Safe houseplant and garden insect killer (Wal-Mart item) and dilute it down to 1/2 strength and lightly mist the top and undersides of the leaves. (Works nicely) Wonderful addition to my garden! Beautiful Plant and what a lovely evening fragrance!

Positive WALLACEONE On Jul 14, 2008, WALLACEONE from , WI wrote:

Started it as a buket of brugs cuttings in winter. Transplanted to pots when it had its roots. The plant likes to lose it leaves when it starts bloomimg. After the flush the leaves come back healthy and strong. You must water it down with a hose to keep the bugs off. It also likes a tablespoon of epsom salt to one gallon of water monthly to keep the leaves green. Rosepedal

Neutral lady4950 On Sep 24, 2007, lady4950 from Parrottsville, TN wrote:

I love my angel trumpet but I don't understand why the leaves are truning yellow. Could it be over fertilizing? I also have problems with white flies and have to spray it with an insecticide once a week. Does anyone know why my leaves are yellow?

Positive Ladyborg On Sep 19, 2007, Ladyborg from Magnolia, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I started this from a 1' cutting from a friend in spring/summer of '06. By summer of '07 the plant is over 7' tall. I didn't prune because of my crazy schedule, but it was interesting to see how high it would go. Next year will prune to keep it bushy.

Neutral BayAreaTropics On Sep 15, 2007, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Wow. How different can a Brugmansia be in different climates?..it overwinters in zone 7b?...it is fragrant?..For me Frosty Pink has been long lived- but,looks worn and tired in winter long before 'Charles Grimaldi" even notices winter. I haven't noticed any scent. Again, Chuck is the opposite-powerful fragrance.
And i have had the same beetle and other pests problems with Frosty Pink. Finally, by mid summer the dry heat starts to to turn Frosty Pink blooms into a pale imitation of itself.Right about now though, the color starts to return...

Positive judycooksey On Sep 15, 2007, judycooksey from Pocahontas, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

If I could ONLY have one Angel's Trumpet (Brugmansia) this would be it. Winters-over in zone 7B with good mulching and never fails to please me.

Positive heels143 On Apr 23, 2006, heels143 from Freeport, TX wrote:

I live in Demi John Texas and I put Frosty Pink in the ground less than 2 years ago and last year i had over 100 blooms. Full sun exposure, fertilize with super bloom every other week, it was about 2 feet tall and ended up to be 6 feet. Just love angel trumpets. Wish i could find a white one on sale here, but no luck so far.

Negative DVan On Apr 22, 2006, DVan from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Help! I bought my pink Angel Trumpet about a month and a half ago and since I put it in the ground, it is losing leaves and seems to be wilting. It is in part shade. I have been watering it every other day. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can save my plant? Thanks.

Positive Ponditis On Oct 10, 2004, Ponditis from Payette, ID (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is growing and blooming nicely next to a natural pond so the water is freely available to the plant. It is a lovely plant and the pink is soft and delicate. Will sunburn in full afternoon sun here in the high desert so this year it is shaded by 3 pm and I have had no problems with sunburn.

Neutral KDePetrillo On Jun 12, 2004, KDePetrillo from North Scituate, RI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have 2 plants of FROSTY PINK - started them from cuttings this year. They are growing well, except for the fact that the leaves are in SHREDS, due to a small striped beetle. I have no idea what this beetle is -- I've grown brugs for years and years and have never seen one before. Any ideas on what they are and what I can do to get rid of them???

Positive Hermann On Jul 28, 2003, Hermann from Portland, OR wrote:

We found this plant at the entrance to the Rose Garden, Washington Park, Portland Oregon. The fragrance is quite strong and very pleasant.

Gaylesville, Alabama
West Hollywood, California
Apopka, Florida
Brooksville, Florida
Delray Beach, Florida
Fernandina Beach, Florida (2 reports)
Fort Mc Coy, Florida
Venus, Florida
Vero Beach, Florida
West Palm Beach, Florida
Yulee, Florida
Atlanta, Georgia (3 reports)
Fayetteville, Georgia
Whiteville, North Carolina
Mounds, Oklahoma
Banks, Oregon
Charleston, South Carolina
Conway, South Carolina (2 reports)
Easley, South Carolina
Magnolia, Texas
North Richland Hills, Texas
Palestine, Texas
Premont, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (4 reports)
Wild Rose, Wisconsin