PlantFiles: Hosta
Hosta 'Great Expectations'

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hosta (HOSS-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Great Expectations
Hybridized by Aden; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1988

Plant Size (check one):
Large (leaf 81-144 square inches; plant 18-28 tall)

Growing Habit:
Mound-like

Growth Rate:
Slow

Leaf Shape:
Nearly Round

Leaf Appearance:
Corrugated

Degree to which the appearance is present:
Deeply

Thumbnail #6 of Hosta  by carolann

By gretaduck
Thumbnail #7 of Hosta  by gretaduck

Positive madebydave On Aug 29, 2013, madebydave from New Ulm, MN wrote:

Has survived even overshadowed by H nigrescens. I've been pruning the big bugger back this summer. This is a beautiful hosta.

Negative pointgarden On Oct 15, 2011, pointgarden from Newport, RI wrote:

I have had this plant for 6 years and it has done little,its the only hosta I have not had luck with.

Positive Gabrielle On Apr 26, 2011, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

One of my very favorite hostas. Beautiful color and texture. Blooms June-July in my garden.

Positive elsbethpd On Jun 12, 2010, elsbethpd from Boulder, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is the most outstanding color combination of all my Hostas (the second would be Paul's Glory). I have it in morning light. As others have noted, it is indeed a slow starter. In our very alkaline clay, I add Fertilome Soil Acidifier + Iron early in spring to my garden, and it makes the blue-green coloration of GE more vibrant.

Positive yarddawg On Apr 22, 2010, yarddawg from Greenville, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is one of those Hostas which can be temperamental in NC. I've tried it twice, both in eastern NC and in the Piedmont. In the ground it slowly decreased in size, Almost melted away. I loved the foliage so much I put it in a large decorative pot and it has rebounded nicely and now thrives.Been in the same pot for four years and it is beautiful. Best with some morning sun, to maximize the color, and afternoon shade, to prevent leaf scorch.

Positive petonegirl On Sep 27, 2009, petonegirl from Wellington
New Zealand wrote:

I live in New Zealand & we have a temperate climate, I have many hosta's & GE I find is a very slow grower, pest resistant to slugs. I agree with the other comments it hates being moved & can sulk if done so, having moved my 1 GE hosta 3 times to different gardens.
Definitely worth growing but have patience with it.

I treasure this hosta as it is no longer available to buy here in NZ maybe due to the slow growing habit, & not a profitable plant for selling.

Positive Marlina On Aug 11, 2009, Marlina from Blaine, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

I love this hosta planted it here because one before it didn't like it there. This one is great and growing be it slow it still is.Love the color.

Positive briannacorn On Jun 8, 2006, briannacorn from Sumner, ME wrote:

I read other reviews with interest, I purchased my plant from an individual who was selling her garden off as she was moving to New Zealand. This was approximately 4 years ago, needless to say I had bought quite a few plants and had kind of ignored this one. I ended up moving it 2 years ago and in the process split it into 2 plants, this year they have both come onlike gangbusters. Present location sheltered on east by large blue spruce,receives morning sun and sheltered on west by large barn.We have had a lot of rain this spring and this plant looks fantastic.My impression slow out of the starting gate but once you find the right niche absolutely delightful.

Positive maxxy On May 25, 2005, maxxy from Aurora, IL wrote:

I have tried growing this beauty once before, and had no success....so, I thought I'd try it again....but, instead of direct planting, I have it in a pot, and it is doing wonderfully! No problems so far! GE is finicky, and doesn't like being moved. So, I will probably keep it growing in the pot. I will add any changes, good or bad!

Negative nevadagdn On May 20, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've tried growing this variety twice now, and lost it both times. None of my other Hostas have failed, in spite of identical conditions.

Positive nansgarden On Jul 15, 2003, nansgarden wrote:

My three year old Great Expectations is beautiful, but a very slow grower. I read a gardening hint somewhere that it will grow faster if it is left in a planter to constrict its roots a little and then set the planter in the ground. I have just replanted mine this way (July 2003)and will watch to see if it makes a difference.

Auburn, Alabama