Corsican Mint

Mentha requienii

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Mentha (MEN-thuh) (Info)
Species: requienii (re-kwee-EN-ee-eye) (Info)

Grow outdoors year-round

Spring, Texas

Bellevue, Washington

Concrete, Washington

Port Orchard, Washington

Seattle, Washington (2 reports)

On Jan 10, 2015, buggycrazy from Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is the hardest plant to transplant requiring special techniques to get it to survive the process of reestablishment - sometimes. I had to torture several to come up with a foolproof method for my customers to ensure transplant success, but eventually quit selling plants at all and only produce seeds now, but that is a challenge requiring specialized growing procedures.
It is also the hardest plant to ship or transport anywhere, evidently it cannot tolerate rapid temperature changes like heat, as well as getting diseased in the shipping box quickly. It is very prone to botyrtis and rots inside the house unless kept very dry and very cold. It grows like a weed in the pacific NW, with constant rain 9 months out of the year and wet clay soils it was never a problem getting it ... read more

On May 5, 2011, Rain1950 from (Zone 8a) wrote:

Have grown this here for 20 years; my favorite ground cover! You have to keep an eye on it if you have good luck growing it; it will show up in spots all over the garden. The scent can be strong enough to clear one's sinuses.

On Oct 3, 2008, Phloid from Candler, NC (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love this plant and am determined to figure it out. I have lived in 3 areas of NC, z8,z7 and z6. In all I have been able to get a beautiful rapidly spreading patch which will up and all or mostly die in a matter of a few days. My TLC: well drained, never too dry, never too wet, dappled shade, air movement, don't overfertilize. Haven't seen a definite pattern as to when it dies other than suddenly. The longest I have had it do well was in z8 where, although it was subjected to very hot and humid conditions, it was in a sand based soil that was almost impossible to overwater. In z7 I had clay based soils and losing "picky" plants to heat/humidity was pretty common. Now here in z6 we just came through a horrendous drought - hot days but unusually low humidty all summer. I kept it watered re... read more

On Jul 16, 2004, mputt from Wayne, PA wrote:

Spruced up an ugly set of cement steps by filling in the spacers with this mint--looks beautiful, smells wonderful when you sit on the steps and read the newspaper.

On Jun 10, 2004, marshtackie from Orlando, FL wrote:

Only because I love it--it is, in fact, the only mint I love. It is one of the most fragrant mints and it is beautiful. Almost like a moss.

It hates this climate, though (Central Florida), and repotting is a major hassle because of those tiny, delicate roots. It is one of the few plants I keep on trying to grow despite its determination to commit suicide. The other is dittany-of-Crete. Reason at least partly my attachment to Crete and to Corsica.

On Apr 1, 2004, ladyrowan from Garberville, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Corsican mint fares much better than Baby tears in my backyard. We have full sun through the summer, and it reaches into the low 100's in late July, early August. Most of the mint is planted at the base of summer-blooming bulbs, so it does receive some relief from the heat.

I just love the rich, minty smell when I brush my hand along the leaves. It always cheers me up.

On Aug 24, 2003, pleb from Plymouth,
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

Plymouth, England. I have found that Corsican Mint in a pot with peaty compost will thrive outside in full sunshine if it is placed in a tray that is kept topped up with water.

On Jun 10, 2003, MIherbgirl from Dowling, MI wrote:

When I first tried growing several years in a row I had no luck, but for two years now I have been growing sucessfully underneath a Lavender plant.The smell is great and it has become my favorite mint.I have yet to have flowers, but maybe this year...Just an update, on July 9th I saw that it was flowering, the tiny lavender flowers are hard to see and almost went unnoticed.

On May 18, 2003, Petsitterbarb from Claremore, OK wrote:

We are in zone 6, and I've had this delightful little plant for over a year...I LOVE it! I am not using it as a groundcover to walk on, but to fill in around miniature roses in a big container on our covered porch, which faces east. It gets the morning sun, and afternoon shade, but it can be VERY hot here. I make sure it gets watered often, and kept moist. I'm sure it would croak PRONTO if left to dry out. It's right by our front door, and draws lots of attention and positive comments. The fragrance, when handled, is devine! It is slowly spreading, and I'll eventually try it in other locations, as well. It's definitely a favorite of mine.

On Jan 24, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Corsican mint is used to make Creme de Menthe. That is the aroma that fills the air when planted as a groundcover. It tolerates a fair amount of foot traffic after it is established.

A small pot can be pulled apart to plugs. Each plug will spread to form a mat at least 12" by the end of the year.

On Jun 15, 2002, pullmydaisy wrote:

Cat's love this plant, my cat licks it (not chews). Do not put in full sun and keep moist at all times.

On Oct 7, 2001, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This mint makes a good ground cover. It barely grows over an inch tall, has tiny leaves and a shallow root system, making it an ideal plant between stepping stones or along a pathway so you can enjoy the smell when you walk on it.The bright green foliage smells strongly of peppermint and has tiny lavender flowers in late spring.It will not take full sun and does well where it gets morning sun or part shade. It also needs to be in a moist area, as it will not tolerate drought.It is a harder mint to grow than most mints.