Lemon Mint, Lemon Balm, Purple Horsemint, Lemon Bee Balm, Beebalm
Monarda citriodora

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Monarda (mo-NAR-da) (Info)
Species: citriodora (sit-ree-oh-DOR-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Monarda citriodora subsp. citriodora

Herbs

Not Applicable

Violet/Lavender

Aromatic

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Auburn, Alabama

Laurens, South Carolina

Middleton, Tennessee

Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Arlington, Texas

Austin, Texas (4 reports)

Boerne, Texas

Lipan, Texas

New Braunfels, Texas

Paris, Texas

Princeton, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (5 reports)

Santo, Texas

Wytheville, Virginia

North Sultan, Washington

Redmond, Washington

On Apr 16, 2014, mawkovin from Dewey Beach, DE wrote:

I hate to get all nit-picky about it but I am wondering why Monarda citriodora is not in the AHS Encyclopedia. Did they change the name to something else or is it just not considered good enough for a garden plant? Just wondering.

On Jul 2, 2012, ratlover1 from Rising Sun, IN wrote:

Easy to grow from seed (I purchased mine from Artistic Gardens).
Pretty plant, fairly fast growing.
I have made tea with it, with fresh leaves. The flavor is very strong, almost medicinal, it reminds me of thyme with a lemony twist. Not really what I was expecting, but definitely different. I will dry some and see if that is more tolerable.
Regardless of flavor, it will remain in my herb garden as a butterfly attractor and as eye candy!

On May 14, 2012, LongFrets from Lufkin, TX wrote:

Qualifies as a 60 mph plant for me (though we were only going 55, honest). Stopped and took pics of it on way back through, May 12, 2012. Great color and thriving right next to the pavement of a busy farm road. I should know this plant, as I often make roadside stops to investigate unfamiliar plants, but this one I had not seen and have lived in East Texas my entire life. Knew it had mint/monarda/bergamot characteristics, so found it fairly quickly on the Net. This particular plant seems to have better flower color and form than most pictures I've found for it. If I knew it would transplant alright I'd dig it up and move it rather than see it mowed down by the highway dept. Will definitely be adding this to our yard's landscape.

On Jul 30, 2010, damienstafford from Decatur, IN wrote:

Grew this plant from seed this year for the first time. Some growing in pots on my patio in organic potting soil and some growing in my flower bed behind my garage in plain garden soil that I have in my yard ( some clay in it but mostly good dark soil). Both doing well, however the one in the pot is much bigger. Potted one is in part shade, behind the garage is in full sun. I love the flowers of this plant and the scent of the leaves is wonderful. Planning on trying it as a tea since everything I have read says you can dry it and do so and I love trying new teas! All in all I say that this plant is a great one for having in the garden or on the patio. Bees and butterflies love it and it is very attractive!

On Mar 21, 2009, eatmyplants from Comanche county, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant appeared in the ditches during our heavy 2007 rains but not since because of the drought. See the pic I uploaded.

On May 24, 2007, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Lemon Mint, Lemon Balm, Purple Horsemint, Lemon Bee Balm, Beebalm Monarda citriodora is a lovely plant Native to Texas and other States.

On Mar 4, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Used by Native Americans as a tea. It also replaced tea during the time of the Boston Tea Party. Perennial in zones 5-9.

On Oct 5, 2006, renwings from Sultan, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

My herb book relates that the leaves are very good in a tea and the the Hopi indians used it to flavor wild game. To bad its an annual, unlike most other Bergamots.

Very pretty and unusual flower. It did well dispite our record heat this year and recieved no water. But it did flop over and lay on the lawn in my very sandy soil. Still growing well, at a new angle. Pleasant scent. Tolerates shade well.

On Jul 18, 2006, carrielamont from Milton, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant arrived as a volunteer in my 6a garden. It has grown very rapidly, although so far it's just taking all the empty space. It acts like a perennial, and now that I know it's an annual, I sure wish I had kept track of those flowers! It has a lovely fragrance, like monarda with a twist of lemon. The soil is haphazardly moist; I'm certainly not paying it any special attention. I'll find out how hardy it is come winter...

On Dec 4, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is reported to be hardy to zone 6. It prefers a part-shade environment. It is in flower from July to August and the flowers are fragrant. The leaves can be used to make tea. This plant is very easy to grow and is not especially picky about soil types. Bees and butterflies love it.

On Jun 15, 2004, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Native Texas wildflower. "Interesting" fragrance. Loves heat and dryness. This would be a good plant for xeriscape-ish gardens when you want more than just cactus and agaves.

On Jan 22, 2003, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

An easy annual to direct seed in the garden or it can be started a few weeks early indoors. It's fragrant and a wonderful plant to attract hummingbirds and butterflies.