Tomato 'Wisconsin 55'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Wisconsin 55

Madison, Wisconsin

Portage, Wisconsin

negative

On Jan 30, 2016, zark from Elysburg, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

This variety did well for me in 2015, my first time growing it. I did not find anything special in taste, but it did have a good tomato taste. I do can a bunch of tomatoes, some juice, etc. The Wisconsin 55 is a good looking and a great canning tomato. Once the harvest season starts I can every weekend. The plants put out a good harvest from start till frost. Good sized plants that were vigorous and looked healthy till seasons end. I will plant these again this spring.

On Jan 14, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

It did not do well in my garden last year. The taste was nothing special, the size was smaller than advertised, and production was not up to my standard. Maybe this tomato would do better in cooler climates.

On Mar 15, 2008, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a smallish-medium sized round red tomato, with some wrinkling at the shoulders. Not particularly sweet or unusual in flavor, but a very nice, classic home-grown red tomato taste. Full and well-balanced. Quite productive and reasonably early. Not one of my super favorites compared to other heirlooms, but well worth growing.

On Dec 28, 2007, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Very prolific with excellent taste. Reputed to be an 8 oz. tomato, however mine were much smaller at 4 or 5 ozs.

On Mar 3, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

According to SSE, this one was remembered as one of the best home and market tomatoes in the Madison area. It is now getting hard to find.

On Feb 6, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1947 entry from the University of Wisconsin. A typical round red tomato with some disease resistance to early blight and fusarium.