Tomato 'Viva Italia'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Viva Italia

Parsippany, New Jersey

Charlotte, North Carolina

Chapin, South Carolina

Bryan, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Tomball, Texas

Mantua, Utah

On Sep 7, 2014, ocean_314 from Ukiah, CA wrote:

The only tomato that did not produce well. Roma is a much better paste tomato. I got a few lbs off of each plant. very poor production compared to what i am used to with Romas.

On Sep 28, 2013, LooneyLinda from Mantua, UT (Zone 4b) wrote:

Like many paste tomatoes it is nearly flavorless. Fair production. Will not grow again.

On Mar 19, 2013, JohnWendy from Chapin, SC wrote:

This is another fine variety of tomato. Good salad tomato, for pesto, and for canning. Good producer and good flavor. As with all tomatoes, this one does not like over watering. Flavor is always better when grown without chemical fertilizers.

On Oct 28, 2010, jdjester52 from Tomball, TX wrote:

I was very excited to try this plant when I found out about the variety, as I had heard it makes a great sauce. I tried it potted and had serious issue with bloosom end rot and began applying calcium chloride which had helped and the uneffected tomatos were very flavorful. I am currently trying them in the ground for my fall tomatos(along with Big Biy, Beefsteak, and Cherokee Purple) some have stared to ripen, however I have had an issue again with "B.E.R." and it is driving me nuts. None of the other plants seem effected just the Viva Italia, don't know if I will attempt them again.

On Feb 14, 2009, jenhillphoto from Danbury, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this tomato for sauce, canning, and cooking. Short plants bear perfect fruits heavily. I have not had any problems with disease or blossom end rot with this tomato. Few blemishes, no cracks. It produced well in a great tomato year (good weather) and also in a terribly rainy summer. Firm and heavy in the hand, they are meaty. You get a lot of poundage per plant unlike some paste tomatoes that tend to be hollow. The taste is great too. I can taste a huge difference in sauce made with these as opposed to roma or la roma tomatoes. Grew them the last 2 years and will be growing them again this summer.

On Dec 10, 2008, toughgardengeek from Bethpage, NY wrote:

When you grow this one, better set aside some time to make sause. Huge numbers of fruit tend to ripen all at once. First bunch tends to be the biggest crop, subsequent ones more manageable. Very good flavour and juicy enough to be used for any purpose. The fruit does hold well on the plant with no cracking. I grow this every year.

On Sep 27, 2005, fwfarm from Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is my workhorse paste; flavor is better than other hybrid pastes I've tried. It does get a fair bit of blossom end rot (early season watering problems), but otherwise is great.

On Jun 16, 2005, duraki from Bryan, TX wrote:

BIG winner. It is still setting fruit in the TX heat, very productive and tastier than Roma.

It does seem to be getting bothered by leaf problems...fungal stuff, worse than some others.

On Mar 23, 2005, jerseymike from Parsippany, NJ wrote:

I grew this variety and Roma tomatoes last year and this one was much better for making sauces (the fruits had a fuller shape than the regular Romas). I plan on growing them again this year.

On Oct 8, 2003, Weedwhacker from Bark River (UP), MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

Ditto to everything madman said and then some! I love this variety; very meaty, very productive, great flavor for eating fresh as well as for canning.

On Jun 6, 2002, madman wrote:

'Viva Italia' is an excellent Roma-type paste tomato that bears heavily. I have had good success with it for the past two years. It has good disease resistance, and good fruit set. I highly recommend it as a canning/freezing/sauce tomato.