PlantFiles: Angel Trumpet, Angel's Trumpet
Brugmansia versicolor 'Ecuador Pink'

Genus: Brugmansia (broog-MAN-zee-ah) (Info)
Species: versicolor (VER-suh-kuh-lor) (Info)
Cultivar: Ecuador Pink

» View all varieties of Brugmansias

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

From hardwood cuttings
By air layering

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Thumbnail #1 of Brugmansia versicolor by suncatcheracres

By MaryinLa
Thumbnail #6 of Brugmansia versicolor by MaryinLa

Thumbnail #7 of Brugmansia versicolor by suncatcheracres

Positive smurfwv On Feb 5, 2010, smurfwv from Cabin Creek, WV (Zone 6a) wrote:

I got this plant a few years back from Logee's, This is by far the prettiest pink I have. This plant blooms in 2 waves every year, each wave of blooms covers the entire plant to where you can't see the trunk. I am very happy with it and recommend it to everyone. The perfume the blossoms release is heavenly, and can be smelled 3-4 houses down in the cool night breeze, i've got a lot of compliments about my brugs, I keep them in the front yard for everyone to enjoy.

Positive aprilwillis On Nov 8, 2006, aprilwillis from Missouri City, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

In my high heat and high humidity area it hasn't bloomed like many of my others, but it is so beautiful that the wait has been worth it!

Positive TrixieM On Jan 21, 2005, TrixieM from Mc Call Creek, MS wrote:

Although our extreme heat and humidity wilts this lovely flower during hot summer days, it is my all time favorite brugmansia. When in full bloom the plant reminds me of pink and white bells. Just beautiful!

Positive suncatcheracres On Aug 6, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I bought my pink Brug from a grower near Gainesville, Florida this Spring, who told me it would survive in the ground here in Northcentral Florida, zone 8b. It had no blooms at the time I bought it, but was labeled "Pink," so I was very disappointed when the first bloom was white. But the next day I found that first bloom had turned a deep pink, and the second new bloom was white! The contrast was quite beautiful and the blooms were spectacularly long, perhaps over 12 inches. That was in May, and now in August the plant is in the ground, being heavily fed and watered, and puts out many blooms all at once about every three weeks or so. The now shorter blooms open a uniform creamy color with pale pink tips, quite attractive, but not as dramatic as the earlier, longer and more contrasting blooms.

From my research I believe this very young plant may be a cultivar of Brugmansia versicolor which originated in Ecuador. My plant is now about seven feet tall and can have as many as seven or eight blooms at a time. I planted it in a quite prominent place, easily seen from the incoming driveway, and visitors love it. The only drawback to this lovely plant is that it wants large amounts of water every 12 hours here in the heat of a Florida summer.

I fertilize my Brug frequently with either Miracle Grow bloom fertilizer, or dog poop I collect every day from my Cocker Spaniel's large dog yard. All collected dog poop is placed in my ornamental flower beds--nothing edible--and covered with fallen oak leaves, and all my plants seem to love it. Unlike cat poop, which can carry diseases to people, dog poop makes a good fertilizer if you are sure your dogs have no parasites such as worms.

I am now growing some Brugs I grew from seed given to me over three years ago at a Master Gardener plant swap. They are labeled Pink or White Datura, but they are Brugs, and out of over 500 seeds about six plants sprouted over several months--very disappointing, but the seed is old. And only four plants have now survived large grasshopper attacks. They were sprouted in April and one is now two feet tall in August in a pot. I will overwinter them all in pots, then place them outdoors in the ground once they bloom, and I know their colors.

Positive Abutilon On Oct 10, 2002, Abutilon from Coal Center, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Though not to bloom so often as other of my pink brugs, Equadore Pink is my favourite.
According to season, conditions, and requirements Equadore blooms change.
Colours have varied from deepest pink to near white and long and slender to more compact.
The palest when blooming dead of winter in my glasshouse zone 6.

Gaylesville, Alabama