Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Tiny Tim'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Tiny Tim
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Ferment seeds before storing

Richland, Washington

negative

On Jan 27, 2015, Meganjana from Adelaide
Australia wrote:

I grew 2 Tiny Tims from seed which are now in pots in full sun. They sit right next to a standard cherry tomato plant which is producing heaps of ripe fruit. The TT's are probably about 40 centimetres tall and have produced quite a bit of fruit (& even more flowers) but they are all green and some of them quite big for a cherry tomato. I was wondering if anyone would know why the fruit is just not ripening? I treat it the same (watering and fertilizing) as the standard plant. So confused! :(

On Nov 30, 2014, zark from Elysburg, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I started a few Tiny Tim plants on January 7th 2014, “of course indoors here in central PA.” I did get a few toms off the plants early spring while in the house and in pots. Not all that tasty at that time. Late May I put a couple plants outdoors in the raised bed and they liked it. Grew well and made a real impressive amount of toms for such a small plant. I don’t understand why these plants are listed as determinate. They continued to grow all summer and produce more and more as the season went on. They seemed to peek in taste about late August here. We had the attack of the Late Blight here late summer. With a few fungicide treatments they did well, may not have even needed help?

On Jan 27, 2013, lilrandy from Jeanerette, LA wrote:

This is a great little tomato plant, and makes an excellent "starter" garden, especially for kids. It is very forgiving, so they really do not need as much attention as their larger heirloom counterparts. I've never had one get over 18" high, but it bears unbelievable amounts of fruit for its small stature. I've used Tiny Tim's for cubscout projects over the past few years. Rarely has it failed to amaze the little ones.

On Aug 30, 2010, tomatofrog from Echuca
Australia wrote:

Mine was grown in a medium sized pot.It was not overly big,about 30 centimetre's. First dwarf I have grown. Fruit was translucent but rock like! Taste was ok.

On Aug 29, 2010, JULIETABER from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

I started a Tiny Tim from seed in May last year. The plant lived most of the way through the winter in a hanging basket and produced dozens and dozens of little tomatoes.

On Jul 19, 2010, Grow_Pittsburgh from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

Incredible… This little 18 inch tall plant is a power house. The beautiful deep green leaves never turned yellow or showed any signs of wilt at all. I tried to let it go with out staking but the fruit was way too heavy. That is not knocking the strength of the plant either. The vines are very thick and able to handle its own weight during a very bad rainstorm. They didn’t even sag in the least, until the fruit started coming on. At this point I realized I need to stake them.

I’ll bet the fruit out ways the plant by 3 to 1. This little guy produces a nice round salad size cherry tomato. Not to big not to small. The fruit has a medium thickness skin, nice meaty flesh on the outer wall and a small pocket of seeds in the middle. The taste is more like a very mild full size toma... read more

On Aug 4, 2009, jackfrost from Troy, NY wrote:

Although the plant is supposed to grow to ten inches when grown in pots, my plants are topping 35 inches, and still growing. I have not had any ripe tomatoes as of yet so I can not comment on the taste of the fruit.

On Dec 10, 2006, Miola from Kotka
wrote:

I have grown this tomato twice and it is not so small than this page indicates. I have had about 50-70cm tall plant. I have kept it in a pot with diameter of about 30cm, because it would be too big plant to a little pot. I like this tomato, although in the end of the summer the taste is not so good and the peel is thicker than in the beginning.

On Sep 12, 2006, MikeyJoe from Clarksville, IN wrote:

I grew two of these plants this year, one did quite well and the other was stunted and sickly. They were grown side by side in the same kind of pots on my patio. Neither produced very many Tomatoes but I have not given up on Tiny Tim just yet. I think I might try it as a houseplant and see how it does.

On Feb 15, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1945 introduction from the Department of Horticulture, University. of New Hampshire, Durham. This is a small container plant. It will mature in a 3 inch pot. While it will grow in a flowerbed in open soil, its best use is as a house plant. It is prolific for its size. Taste? Well I don't eat cherry tomatoes but folks to whom I have supplied plants haven't complained.

On Aug 10, 2003, nme88 wrote:

Tomato plant were tested with Acidic, Neutral and Basic water. The tomatos grew best in the acidic!

On Jul 14, 2003, PanamonCreel from Celaya
Mexico (Zone 10a) wrote:

Small plant for decoration purpose. Small scarlet red fruits with an odd unappealing (to me) flavor.

On Sep 27, 2002, jl84094 wrote:

Very small plant, looks like a ground cover. Can be grown in 6" pot or window box.