PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Tiny Tim'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Tiny Tim

» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing
Ferment seeds before storing

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by jackfrost

By jackfrost
Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by jackfrost

Positive lilrandy On Jan 27, 2013, lilrandy from Jeanerette, LA wrote:

This is a great little tomato plant, and makes an excellent "starter" garden, especially for kids. It is very forgiving, so they really do not need as much attention as their larger heirloom counterparts. I've never had one get over 18" high, but it bears unbelievable amounts of fruit for its small stature. I've used Tiny Tim's for cubscout projects over the past few years. Rarely has it failed to amaze the little ones.

Positive tomatofrog On Aug 30, 2010, tomatofrog from Echuca
Australia wrote:

Mine was grown in a medium sized pot.It was not overly big,about 30 centimetre's. First dwarf I have grown. Fruit was translucent but rock like! Taste was ok.

Positive JULIETABER On Aug 29, 2010, JULIETABER from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

I started a Tiny Tim from seed in May last year. The plant lived most of the way through the winter in a hanging basket and produced dozens and dozens of little tomatoes.

Positive Grow_Pittsburgh On Jul 19, 2010, Grow_Pittsburgh from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

Incredible… This little 18 inch tall plant is a power house. The beautiful deep green leaves never turned yellow or showed any signs of wilt at all. I tried to let it go with out staking but the fruit was way too heavy. That is not knocking the strength of the plant either. The vines are very thick and able to handle its own weight during a very bad rainstorm. They didn’t even sag in the least, until the fruit started coming on. At this point I realized I need to stake them.

I’ll bet the fruit out ways the plant by 3 to 1. This little guy produces a nice round salad size cherry tomato. Not to big not to small. The fruit has a medium thickness skin, nice meaty flesh on the outer wall and a small pocket of seeds in the middle. The taste is more like a very mild full size tomato not a cherry.

If you have problems growing tomatoes this is the guy for you. From seed or transplant it is a very forgiving plant. I know they say it will grow in a 6”-8” pot but give this guy a bigger pot or plant him in the ground you will not be disappointed. Look at it this way would you rather where a pair of sweat pants or a pair of skin tight blue jeans.

Neutral jackfrost On Aug 4, 2009, jackfrost from Troy, NY wrote:

Although the plant is supposed to grow to ten inches when grown in pots, my plants are topping 35 inches, and still growing. I have not had any ripe tomatoes as of yet so I can not comment on the taste of the fruit.

Positive Miola On Dec 10, 2006, Miola from Kotka
wrote:

I have grown this tomato twice and it is not so small than this page indicates. I have had about 50-70cm tall plant. I have kept it in a pot with diameter of about 30cm, because it would be too big plant to a little pot. I like this tomato, although in the end of the summer the taste is not so good and the peel is thicker than in the beginning.

Neutral MikeyJoe On Sep 12, 2006, MikeyJoe from Clarksville, IN wrote:

I grew two of these plants this year, one did quite well and the other was stunted and sickly. They were grown side by side in the same kind of pots on my patio. Neither produced very many Tomatoes but I have not given up on Tiny Tim just yet. I think I might try it as a houseplant and see how it does.

Positive Farmerdill On Feb 15, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1945 introduction from the Department of Horticulture, University. of New Hampshire, Durham. This is a small container plant. It will mature in a 3 inch pot. While it will grow in a flowerbed in open soil, its best use is as a house plant. It is prolific for its size. Taste? Well I don't eat cherry tomatoes but folks to whom I have supplied plants haven't complained.

Positive nme88 On Aug 10, 2003, nme88 wrote:

Tomato plant were tested with Acidic, Neutral and Basic water. The tomatos grew best in the acidic!

Negative PanamonCreel On Jul 14, 2003, PanamonCreel from Celaya
Mexico (Zone 10a) wrote:

Small plant for decoration purpose. Small scarlet red fruits with an odd unappealing (to me) flavor.

Neutral jl84094 On Sep 27, 2002, jl84094 wrote:

Very small plant, looks like a ground cover. Can be grown in 6" pot or window box.

Hartford, Alabama