PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Supersweet 100'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Supersweet 100

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by mgarr

By RussMartin4154
Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by RussMartin4154

Positive NovaScotian On Aug 15, 2012, NovaScotian from antigonish

Grew three plants in separate 5 gallon buckets last summer. Although the weather was dark and rainy most of the summer, still had a good crop. They were very sweet. Plants grew very large so make sure you have sufficient space.

Positive donnyczech On Dec 7, 2011, donnyczech from Sioux Falls, SD (Zone 4b) wrote:

The plant grew about 10 feet long and produced a lot of fruit. I will grow one plant in 2012.

Positive Wulfsden On Apr 15, 2009, Wulfsden from Riverdale, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grow Supersweet 100 in 12" plant pots, and trim them to be about 6" high and not much wider than the pot. I use recycled potting soil and Plant Tones Organic fertilizer sprinkling about a level teaspoon about once a week while plant is fruiting. They also get one treatment of liquid seaweed fertilizer when transplanted over whole plant, and one more when they set flower, but only over the roots. Unfortunately, my cherry tomato space is limited to 12 plants per season, so I only grow 2 of these each year. These bright red cherry tomatoes are extremely sweet, often the first to ripen, and are still producing ripe fruit well into October. I get 200+ fruit per plant, even in the relatively small pot. The day before first frost, I usually pick 60+ green fruit, and most of those ripen in brown bags in my kitchen, so I am still eating fresh ripe fruit on Thanksgiving. These are the smallest of the cherries that I grow, and have a tendency to burst during rainstorms. I find it helpful to pick any fruit that has started to turn, the day before the storm. If some do split, just pick and eat them quickly -- they still taste just fine, but do not store well.

Neutral Tammylp On Mar 17, 2008, Tammylp from Lima, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Plenty of tasty fruit, but almost all cracked. I read where they were prone to cracking, and article suggested regular watering. But, even though I tried to water regulary and deeply, I could not prevent most from cracking.

Neutral Greenthumbe On Jul 12, 2006, Greenthumbe from Scripps Ranch, (San Diego), CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

They seem very fun. Mine sprouted and are are about two inces tall.I am excited after all that I read about them. Pictures are coming!

Positive pineapplesage On May 1, 2006, pineapplesage from Pewaukee, WI wrote:

Easy tomato to grow. They taste great too. They do tend to reseed the next year.

Positive GreenThumbGreen On Sep 29, 2004, GreenThumbGreen from Chanute, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

I set a seedling out, and even after being broken in half by a wind storm, it grew to 7' tall, 3' wide, and produced over 1400 very tasty cherry tomatoes.

Positive bob_bob On Jul 30, 2004, bob_bob from Highland Park, IL wrote:

Put in mixed soil with clay base, 6 hour sunlight, using 10-10-10 fertilizer . Very prolific and grew to 5 ft high and 3 ft dia..I have to use hydrated lime here to avoid blossom end rot. Highly recommended for Chicago area.

Positive kadawn74 On Jul 29, 2004, kadawn74 from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

This has been the easiest plant to grow! It's in awful soil, rocky, hard, and hasn't been used in many years, and still this plant just took off. My daughter loves watching the tomotoes ripen, and can hardly wait until the are barely red to pick them off and eat them right in the garden. I have this planted on the west side of my apartment, and it receives full sun in the afternoon, and also has tolerated the blistering heat from the side of the building. Currently there are many bundles of at least a dozen tomatoes, and one bundle with about 30! Even barely ripe they are very tasty and sweet.

Positive cblues On Mar 11, 2003, cblues wrote:

This is a wonderful tomato!..I grow in the Selkirk Mountains of Canada in less than ideal conditions. I grow in raised beds in extremely rocky conditions. This bed was only 2 feet maximum depth.
This Tomato easily grew to 4 feet and some 3 feet across. It must be supported obviously. I just let it go and tied each 'branch' to an overhead support.
Started to produce ripe fruit mid July and had literally 100's of very excellent sweet tomatoes right through to the frost.
Frankly I've never seen such a prolific plant, and will be growing at least 3 this year.

Castro Valley, California