PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Supersteak VFN'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Supersteak VFN
Hybridized by Burpee; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1980

» View all varieties of Tomatoes

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Growing Habit:

By Nancymo
Thumbnail #1 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Nancymo

By donnyczech
Thumbnail #2 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by donnyczech

Positive donnyczech On Dec 19, 2011, donnyczech from Sioux Falls, SD (Zone 4b) wrote:

The plant did OK here in Sioux Falls, SD in 2011. It produced several nice fruits and I think I will grow it again in 2012. I am uploading a picture.

Negative mtgardner On Jul 31, 2011, mtgardner from Musselshell, MT wrote:

I am horribly disappointed with this variety. The only reason we purchased the seeds is because they were to get very large. I fertilized when the first fruits formed. Mine are just starting to ripen and the tomatoes are only golf ball size AND there are very few of them on each plant. Of course the plants are 6 ft tall as described in the catalog. I do a pile of canning and now going to be very short on tomatoes :(

I have never been disappointed with other varieties and have never had a problem growing them. :( I will stick to our beefsteak variety.

Positive jwr6404 On Sep 17, 2010, jwr6404 from University Place, WA wrote:

In an otherwise bad Tomato year this plant produced the biggest and most beautiful tomatoes I have ever grown. They were very tasty as well as very productive. I will grow it every year.

Negative dlbailey On Feb 19, 2010, dlbailey from Central Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have tried to grow this variety twice. It was a giant, slightly sickly plant that did not produce even one tomato both years. My open-pollinated varieties have done cartwheels around this hybrid for too long. I will stick to reliable heirlooms for now on.

Neutral Farmerdill On Feb 17, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1980 hybrid similar to BeefMaster.

Musselshell, Montana