Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Sun Sugar'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Sun Sugar

Winchester, Virginia

Freeland, Washington

Spokane, Washington

On Aug 29, 2015, PPIERCE99 from Redford, MI wrote:

This is the first year I planted Sun Sugar. I live in SE MI and planted late, mid June. The plant was 18" when purchased. I removed the bottom branches and planted about 8 " of the stem. So far, I have picked somewhere between 18-20 lbs. I haven't done any pruning. Although production has slowed down I am presently picking 1 - 1 1/2 lbs. every 2 or 3 days. I picked 2 - 3 lbs. every other day earlier in the season. I find the flavor wonderful and sweet. Less than 10% crack after picking, much less cracking on slightly less ripe fruit. This is going to be the only cherry tomato variety I plant from now on until something better comes along. Since I am the only one that eats tomatoes the "extras" go in the freezer whole and will be used for tomato pesto sauce since I like a sweeter sauce. The... read more

On Aug 14, 2014, steelheadr from Bountiful, UT wrote:

Unbeatable flavor, no splitting, and lots of production. Better than Sweet 100 in all those regards.

On May 13, 2013, digger808 from Winchester, VA wrote:

Our favorite cherry tomato, because we like the flavor and in our experience they don't split like mad like the Sungolds do. We like Sungold, but would lose 90% to splitting - even when we picked them unsplit, most would be split by the time they got inside. With the Sun Sugar, we get around 90% that are not split.

As others have said, the plant will get enormous and spending a little time to make some educated prunes before it gets out of control is a good idea.

On Sep 23, 2011, mehitabel45 from Whidbey Island, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

My mother insists that I grow these every year, since now they're her favorite, over Sweet Million, Sweet 100, and (gasp!) SunGold! We found them to have thinner skins, better taste, and less cracking than those others. Almost indistinguishable from the SG in taste, better performance overall. Very important in the PNW, with our cool nights and moderate days.
A little too sweet if they over-ripen, (this only happens if I miss one under a leaf), really good keepers, and just beautiful in a salad, when they make it into the house. This year, they were more prolific than ever, and I'm planning on trying to dry some, on the advice from others on the web. Mmmmmmmmmm!!!!

On Jun 9, 2011, steppinout from Stevensville, MT wrote:

I just received my first plant from a friend. It is so tall! The fruits that I have tried at their home were so delicious that I can't wait until these start to produce. There were no other postings from MT, so just to let you know that they have had excellent results with this variety in the bitterroot valley.

On Apr 3, 2011, slp2go from Mount Vernon, IL wrote:

Very tasty in pasta and fresh salsa recipes as well as right off the vine. My entire family loves these tomatoes.

On Aug 24, 2010, Napanap from Los Gatos, CA wrote:

I grew Sun Sugar right next to Sungold this year, so I've compared the taste many many times. Sun Sugar is not quite as sweet, but more tomatoey, with thicker skin and a meatier texture. Very good, but not quite as flavorful as Sungold.

On Jul 22, 2010, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

A sweet cherry, maybe not quite as good as SunGold. It grew and produced fairly well in a semi-shaded location.

On Apr 12, 2010, kcrosser from Reno, NV wrote:

I have been growing sun sugar for about 2 years - I only plant one plant that my neighbor would give to me and i would have to cut it back 5-7 times in a season - it gets huge - they are my Golden Retiriver "bodie"'s favorite - she waits everyday when I come home to go pick tomatoes!!! - One question how come you cannot dry the seeds and sprout them in the spring?

On Apr 7, 2010, Redrock069 from Oskaloosa, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have grown this tomato for about five years now. I has a very sweet fruity taste. I eat them from the garden like a kid in a candy store. They are very prone to spliting.

On Mar 7, 2010, smileysdynamite from Williamsburg, OH wrote:

Sunsugar was delicious! I found they do split but the taste is worth it!

On Jan 22, 2010, toughgardengeek from Bethpage, NY wrote:

Very sweet and fuity. Just a little bit sweeter the Sungold. Great snack, but I would agree that it does lack that tomatoey flavour. Hey, it still tastes good to me. It is very fast growing, heavy producer. Last summer was very wet and cool and this was the first to get late blight.

On Jan 25, 2009, dancingbear27 from Elba, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This has been my family's favorite cherry tomato for years. It is a heavy cropper and has pretty good disease resistance. It has a nice sweet nonacid flavor and looks beautiful in a salad. This is the only hybrid tomato I grow in my garden because I haven't found an open-pollinated cherry to match the flavor yet. Be happy to take any suggestions :o).

On May 12, 2008, KSBaptisia from Beatrice, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

A very tasty, and beautiful, little tomato. In my experience, it has more "real tomato" flavor than most varieties of cherry tomato plus a little hint of fruitiness. The only problem with it is that over-ripe fruits develop a sort of fermented super sweet flavor that I think is unpleasant. The vines are fast growing and highly productive. I have also grown Sungold, but frankly can't tell the difference between the two. They are interchangable as far as I am concerned.

On Aug 26, 2007, LooneyLinda from Mantua, UT (Zone 4b) wrote:

Very sweet--but that's all I can say. Not much flavor. Sungold is much better.

On Aug 22, 2007, Tuuktalus from Denver, CO wrote:

Delicious- tart when not fully ripe, super sweet when fully ripe. Very prolific plant that must be pruned well if you dont have a lot of space.

On Jun 7, 2007, alicewho from North Augusta, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

We grew these for the first time this year and they are wonderful!

On Sep 13, 2006, sonofgoom from East Jordan, MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

We grow this one year after year. In fact, it is the only hybrid we put in our garden. Very dependable, very prolific plants that just don't stop. Super taste, very sweet with nice tart bite. These are the best eat in the garden before they make it to the kitchen tomatoes.

On Aug 18, 2005, tmm99 from Sunnyvale, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

To me they don't taste like tomatoes, even cherry tomatoes. They are kind of fruity and have a distinctive flavor. Very sweet which is a plus but the skin is very thick.

On Jul 24, 2005, JefeQuicktech from Moorhead, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Sweetest, most consistently productive cherry-size tomato we've grown to date. A bit of a citrusy finish to the taste. It is like eating a little sugar cube.

On Apr 7, 2005, kplinn52 from Portland, OR wrote:

I planted one start from the nursery and it shot up to seven feet tall. It was prolific and crack resistant and continued to produce much longer than I expected. The taste was as sweet as the name implied. I have limited garden space and I planted in a deep patio pot. I caged it in with long bamboo stakes and twine. Nothing else would have been tall enough to hold it up. It was quite wonderful and I plan to plant it again this year. Portland, Oregon

On Oct 27, 2002, Geoffrey wrote:

Sunsugar has the same excellent flavour as Sungold, but the fruits are much less prone to splitting than those of Sungold. Ideally I think that they should be trained with four main stems, but that is not easy. I have let them grow rampant and just feed and water them ,with just a little thinning of the shoots.

On Sep 29, 2002, jcomy from Spooner, WI wrote:

We are in Zone 2, planted purchased sets and planted June 7th into good bog soil base. We found that the plants grew rapidly to approximately 7 feet (they grew out of the 3.5 tomato cages, draped to the ground and climbed back up and over the other plants) The grape-like growth made them easy to harvest and it was and has been very prolific production (about a pint to a quart a day) since August 5th. We have eaten them from the vine, they store well up to 10 days, and maintain their color and form when hot-packed. It is now September 29th, the first frosts have touched our area and still this gallant little tomato is covered with little tomatoes in various stages of ripeness. It is also covered with late blooms. We will definitely plant it again.

On Aug 27, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

A very sweet cherry tomato - nice size, although not as big as the grape-types. Like most cherry tomatoes, very prolific.

On Aug 2, 2002, altosinger wrote:

Better than store-bought, but not as sweet as Sweet 100. I will try a different variety next year--I'm not that enthusiastic about this one.