Tomato 'Siletz'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Siletz

Pasadena, Texas

San Marcos, Texas

Hanover, Virginia

On Sep 9, 2012, daninpd from Prunedale, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I live in a coastal area with (often) cool summers. I grow six early tomatoes on my deck for insurance against a really cool year and a mix of 25 early and late in the garden. Siletz was the first full size tomato to ripen for me and I rate the flavor and texture of this on as very good. Most fruit are in the 3/4 lb range, one was odd shaped and over 1-1/2 lb and made an excellent meal for 2 cored and stuffed with tuna salad. I think this one will join my list for every year- maybe with one on the deck and another in the garden.

On Jun 14, 2010, ebluemink from Anchorage, AK wrote:

This is the largest tomato I've been able to grow in an unheated greenhouse in Anchorage, AK and it is one of the only medium to large-sized tomatoes I've grown in the greenhouse that doesn't turn out mealy. In fact, it is delicious!

On Jun 27, 2004, sprigsky from Scappoose, OR (Zone 9a) wrote:

6/27/04: I am growing this cultivar for the second year now and like it very well. The fruit is red, large (up to 1 1/2#) and full flavored. I planted last Feb inside, put them out around the end of April and expect to have ripe fruit around mid-July. They set fruit when temperature is at and above the upper 50's F. The one thing I dislike about them is that they have a fairly frequent occurance of growths at maturity on the bloom end of the fruit. I am trying to select that out. This varitey was developed by James Baggett of Oregon State University.

On Aug 19, 2002, JackSkelley from Oakland, NJ wrote:

One of the best tomato varieties I have ever grown. Here are some specifics:
- fruit set occurs when it is cooler and when it is warm; few if any blossom drops
- a very meaty fruit; very small percentage is gel
- it is listed as a determinate variety but I have all stages of fruit on the plant; perhaps a semi-indeterminate would be better
- large fruit 10 - 12 oz. but some in the 6 - 8 oz. size
- a wonderful flavor; a sweet acid taste; one of the best tasting varieties I have ever grown
- very thin skinned
- very heavy foliage; no trace of sun scald
- very thick stem; the plant still need staking
- listed as a 52 day variety but mine started to be picked at 67 days (still OK by me)
- an unbelieable pr... read more