Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Sheyenne'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Sheyenne

Medora, North Dakota

Grove City, Ohio

Tulsa, Oklahoma

On Aug 24, 2013, debles from Tulsa, OK wrote:

I'm growing this for the first time this year. It did produce some nice tomatoes earlier in the season and I expected the two plants to die off when the heat hit since they are determinate.
The plants are relatively short and they stopped setting blossoms for a spell, but now they are full of blossoms again and setting more fruit. Although the plants don't look as good as they did early in the season, they're still producing.
I'm saving seed from this one to grow again in future years.

On May 23, 2009, twiggybuds from Moss Point, MS (Zone 8b) wrote:

This isn't just for the North. It makes healthy plants and beautiful fruit with no blemishes, cracks or green shoulders. It's a good all purpose tomato.

On Feb 5, 2008, johnsonjrbm from Olympia, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Based on the earlier comments, I may try it in my short-season maritime climate. If I do, I'll post the results this fall.

On Jun 7, 2004, mundrome from Boulder, CO wrote:

SHEYENNE :
This past winter, I found in my tomato seed box at the back of the refrigerator, 24 year old seeds from NORTHROP KING, planted them in window-tray, covered with saran and on top o water heater in the dark to maintain 75 deg-85 deg ( our windows get cold through may in colorado).. AND GOT 85% germination,!, much more rapid growth than other early determinates I have tried..
including Stoke's STARSHOT, and Bently seed's FIREBALL (10cents at walgreens and i found it very tasty, ist fruit 4th of july) and Gurney's CANNONBALL -both about the same description so maybe genetically close.
This year I have, in front of my townhome in Boulder, CO, two pots with 3 plants each Starshot and Sheyenne.. Check with me by end of August for comparison! mundrome... read more

On Feb 24, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1959 entry from the North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station, Fargo.

On Aug 18, 2002, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

This is probably the most sought after tomato plant/seed in North Dakota. It does very well here with our dry conditions and short growing period. All the old timers swear that this is the only tomato to grow here, and it doen't seem to get blossom end rot as easily as others. I grew it exclusively for years. Unfortunately, finding the plants in greenhouses is becoming increasingly difficult over the years, and the seed is EXTREMELY hard to find. I won't give up though, as I don't want this variety to become extinct.

I've been doing some research on it, and I am pretty sure it's an open pollinated heirloom, and not a hybrid.

My only regret is that I didn't take gardening serious enough to think of checking into it's background and saving seeds back when I ... read more