Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Patio'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Patio

Spicewood, Texas

Richmond, Virginia

Tacoma, Washington

On Jul 10, 2012, rondonau from Tacoma, WA wrote:

I've never seen such a sturdy tomato. It's leaves are so thick, I'm doing a little to let some sun into the plant. It's July 10, and I have numerous stems that are producing tomatoes. That's earlier than the others I planted, all early types, as I garden in Puget Sound (Tacoma), close to the water. It's still chilly here in much of July. The plant is in a 5 gal nursery pot, and looks like I'll get a good crop before the season is over in October.

On Sep 5, 2010, maccionoadha from Halifax, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Patio' should have the listing: FASt. Which means the following: F- Fusarium Wilt, A - Alternaria, St - Stemphylium

On Mar 28, 2010, Victorine72 from Richmond, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

My "patio" tomatoes were the best of the varieties I tried last season. My heirloom and cherry tomatoes were a disappointment by comparison. The patio tomatoes bore fruit constantly and were the last to stop producting-- if memory serves, I think I was picking off them as late as October. The plants are compact and very tidy, which is a big bonus for me.

On May 15, 2009, nolabug from New Orleans, LA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have grown this plant, I think, three seasons in zone 9a. Here in sweaty New Orleans I have endless pest and disease problems with my indeterminate heirlooms but patio can stand right next to these troubled plants and not catch whatever it is. I think the taste of the tomatoes is really very good and have never found the skins to be tough. As mentioned by others, it's a very beautiful plant with dark leaves and an interesting shape. I always get my first tomatoes of the season from this plant and it has even produced well for me when I planted it at the wrong time (way too late in the summer when other toms drop their blossoms and wilt in the heat here). My patio tomatoes are always a little bigger than the information leads you to believe - about 3" in diameter and weighing each aro... read more

On Jun 10, 2006, kyle_and_erika from Batesville, AR wrote:

** this report is based on only one specimen, not enough to give a proper evaluation,IMHO**

I put one of these out in the garden last year late in the season and it did produce one or two small fruits, not an easy task during July/August The taste was only slightly better than what you might find in a grocery store.

This plant doesn't really fit our needs but has some merit as a container plant or for small spaces. The plant its self is quite attractive - short and stout with super dark foliage. You could even use it as a landscape plant, I suppose.

On Jun 16, 2004, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Easy to grow, very early and doesn't take up a lot of room. Good flavor, but tough skins.

On Oct 14, 2003, Tplant from Pembroke Pines, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

It makes a very attractive border plant as well as an excellent container plant. I raise them from seed and give them to friends. They enjoy them and of course the tomatos.They grow to only 24" and have beautiful thick foliage and the skin is thick but the flavor is sweet and size is about 2" diameter. Being as they are determinate,you will get one or two quick batches.

On Jul 22, 2002, JoannaD wrote:

This tomato lives up to the reputation for compact and vigorous. It produces multiple fruits along the vine, rather like a cherry tomato. My fruits were not large, ranging from large cherry to small plum sized.

The flavor is pleasant--concentrated and acid, with a nice "tomato paste" overtone and a bit of sweetness. Is there a cherry in Patio's heritage? The fruit set well in hot weather, ripens quickly. The skin seems thick, to me. But it has been dry, and these are in containers.

Yield is moderate. If you are in a cramped space, Patio would probably be a rewarding tomato. I wouldn't recommend it for normal sized gardens. The yield and size are too small to make it worthwhile.