Tomato 'Merced'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Merced

Pasadena, Texas

Ranger, Texas

Christiansted, Virgin Islands

On Nov 23, 2007, pennyrile from Evansville, IN (Zone 6b) wrote:

Brought two plants back from Austin and broke one off unloading a suitcase for the night in Arkadelphia. Both the remaining whole plant and the re-rooted broken stem of the other grew equally well when put into the garden and persevered through high heat and drought to set a concentrated yield of solid, thick walled, fair tasting slicers on short stake, determinate vines on exactly the same timeline as Rutgers and Bradley ... except when Merced finishes its set, it's finished. Too bad seeds for this cultivar have become unavailable.

On Jun 28, 2005, Rancho33 from Cedar Park, TX wrote:

I have grown this tomato variety for several years now in Central Texas where the summers can be blazing hot--95+ degrees most afternoons. This variety has stood up to the heat very well and has produced beautifully. This year (2005) I have had 6 plants in the garden and have harvested dozens of tomatoes already (late June). My plants are still loaded with tomatoes in varying stages of ripeness. The largest ones have weighted in at 18 and 19 ounces with many in the range of 12 to 16 ounces. My planting method is to dig in a couple of scoops of well rotted compost and a handfull of 13-13-13 fertilizer before setting the plant and pinnch off all but the very top leaves; plant to the depth of just below the top leaves. I water a couple of times a week. I highly recommend this variety a... read more

On Mar 10, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1991 heat resistant tomato from Northrup King. It has resistance to verticillium wilt race 1, fusarium wilt races 1 and 2, tobacco mosaic virus,and gray leaf spot.

On Jan 5, 2004, Belmont1 wrote:

I have planted Merced's for many years now. They are planted in 10 gallon plastic buckets with holes for drainage. In the winter time they are moved into the garage. Just yesterday (1-4-04) I picked three large (all over 1 pound) ripe tomatoes. These are my first three since I planted them in September. I have two plants and each one has at least 20 tomatoes on them. Some as small as a dime, and the larger ones although they are still green are a big as a tennis ball.
In past years when they were planted outside and unable to bring in, I gathered as many as 200 green tomatoes because of frost or freeze. I wrap them in newspapers and they ripen slowly for up to 2 months. Oh, I forgot. I fertilize them about every 7-10 days with MIracle Grow for tomatoes.

On Jun 18, 2003, justmeLisa from Brewers, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have grown Merced tomatoes for many seasons and they have never let me down. The taste is very good and the fruit can get up to 10 oz. These tomatoes are excellent market tomatoes, their shape is firm and predictable, making them a top seller.

On Apr 14, 2003, fortbend from McKinney, TX wrote:

Bought this type because it was claimed that it was developed for hot ,dry Texas climate. Plant appears to tolerate heat better than most varities and produces when others stop due to heat. Usually get an extra week or two of production. Fruit has good flavor and is of a nice size for slicing. Only problem, in my opinion, is that I have found the skin to be a little on the tough side. I plant 12 to 14 plants and usually plant at least two of this variety.

On May 26, 2002, jallaway from Houston, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Listed by Texas A&M as one of their best picks, I've hit and miss with this one. Generally good production of medium-large fruits with decent taste.