PlantFiles: Curly Parsley
Petroselinum crispum

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Petroselinum (pet-roh-sel-EE-num) (Info)
Species: crispum (KRISP-um) (Info)

Biennials
Herbs

USDA Zone 5a: to -28.8 °C (-20 °F)
USDA Zone 5b: to -26.1 °C (-15 °F)
USDA Zone 6a: to -23.3 °C (-10 °F)
USDA Zone 6b: to -20.5 °C (-5 °F)
USDA Zone 7a: to -17.7 °C (0 °F)
USDA Zone 7b: to -14.9 °C (5 °F)
USDA Zone 8a: to -12.2 °C (10 °F)
USDA Zone 8b: to -9.4 °C (15 °F)
USDA Zone 9a: to -6.6 °C (20 °F)
USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8 °C (25 °F)

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

Thumbnail #6 of Petroselinum crispum by yvana

By Weezingreens
Thumbnail #7 of Petroselinum crispum by Weezingreens

Positive MaryandLance On Jun 22, 2008, MaryandLance from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

I am new to gardening. My tranplanted Parsley did great at first...now...not so much...but I think our afternoon Thunderstorms are giving it way too much water. Can anyone give me information on whether harvesting it is going to help it? I heard harvesting my chives will make it grow better and started testing that theory today. But want to know about the Parsley. How to cut it back (down to the root)....how often...etc.

We are in Baton Rouge, LA, 8B.

Thank you!

Positive zemerson On Apr 1, 2006, zemerson from Calvert County, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have to say, I had no idea that this would come back.... I always thought parsley was an annual... :) If it weren't for it coming back, I would give it a 'neutral' because sometime in the middle of june, the plant was doing really well and one day I went out to check it and it had been eaten down to the roots. I have no idea what did it.... I've heard deers are a problem in my area but I've never actually seen one in the yard. But maybe this year I'll find away to protect it.

Positive Gabrielle On Jan 28, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Parsley is easy to grow, but can be a pain to germinate! Stratification and soaking seeds aids germination. It resents transplanting. The flavor is better the following year if it is not allowed to bloom. It is best replaced annually.

Positive Kameha On Apr 26, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Grows so very easily! Mine is huge after months of neglect. It is very frost hardy as well. I also love planting this not only for its delicious taste but also because some butterflies (black swallowtail among them) use this plant as a larval source. Still waiting on those butterflies though!

Positive Larabee On Jun 3, 2004, Larabee from Houston, TX wrote:

Parsley is a very easy herb that simply loves to grow. I had to move mine once and was astounded at how LONG and spread out the roots get! No wonder it grows back so faithfully every time I harvest it to use in the kitchen. These long roots get very thirsty, so though you don’t want to over-water it (don’t water it if the soil is wet one inch down), make sure to give it plenty of water when it does need water, because it soaks it up fast and needs the water to keep the curly leaves from getting dried and brittle.

If you’re not harvesting your parsley to use pretty regularly, make sure to prune it now and then to help it grow nice and full. There’s no reason not to be harvesting it for yourself, though—adding a little parsley to the top of any meal is a quick way to make it more impressive!

Parsley is wonderful planted alongside chives. They have very similar coloring but the curly parsley and straight chives is a wonderful contract in texture that is pleasing to see in your herb garden. Don’t bother trying to propagate via cuttings—they will not work.

Positive deborahsongs On May 29, 2004, deborahsongs from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

I have a fancy parsley plant that came back from the winter. I just kept it there because it was flourishing so well. Planted some basil, dill, lemon thyme, chives with it for company. The other day I found a little fella munching on it. He doesn't eat much so I am going to keep taking his picture until he gets his wings. When he does he will be an Eastern Black Swalowtail. Parsley is one of their favorite foods. So if you like butterflies planting some parsley outside will attract this one if you live in any of their zones. I am sharing a picture in the forum of my parsley and my little guest.

Positive patp On Oct 12, 2003, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I first saw Curley Parsley planted among the flowers at Brookgreen Gardens at Murrell's Inlet in South Carolina. I found the seeds locally and started them in peat pots. When the plants were a couple of inches high, I alternated them with varigated liriope plants, making a lovely border around the flower bed. I didn't find seeds on the plants and will be pleasantly surprised if plants emerge next Spring.

Positive xyris On Oct 12, 2003, xyris from Sebring, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Surprisingly to me, curly parsley is a perennial in my garden in the Pacific Northwest (Zone 8b-9a), not having needed any replanting in six years now. I clip off the flowerheads in summer before the seeds mature, and after August or so, the plants stop trying to flower and just start putting out more lush leaf growth instead. They stay green and delicious throughout the winter. I am able therefore to use it as a low border to planting beds, as well as for culinary uses. It is one of several biennials that I have tricked into being perennials.

Positive TerriFlorida On Oct 11, 2003, TerriFlorida from Plant City, FL wrote:

I buy parsley plants now and then because they are pretty, useful, and because some butterflies will use these as larval plants. I am happy to feed caterpillars to enjoy the butterflies they become!

Knights Landing, California
Redwood City, California
San Anselmo, California
Kissimmee, Florida (2 reports)
Plant City, Florida
Summerville, South Carolina
Abilene, Texas
North Richland Hills, Texas
Rosharon, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Bremerton, Washington