PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Manitoba'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Manitoba

Thumbnail #1 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by rbrown974

By rbrown974
Thumbnail #2 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by rbrown974

Negative ubookz On Jul 23, 2014, ubookz from Princeton

This was my experience in 2013. This tomato is fast maturing for a short season, medium to small tomato, many tomatoes in a small bush determinate type.

Nothing special about the taste, my best tasting were Roma, also very meaty, but not that many fruits as a manitoba.

The reason for the negative is that this manitoba tomato was severely attacked by the flea beetle at the middle end of season, my other plants were not that that bothered.

I had flea beetle problems again with the Romas this year, I may plant the manitoba again as a sacrificial crop, radish also can be used.

Negative lindypuddin On Mar 5, 2012, lindypuddin from stony mountain, MB (Zone 3a) wrote:

here in manitoba you either love it or hate it !!!
my experience has been that the slightest blight will strip
the plant of leaves in a matter of days. other short season hybrids to try for mid sized red tomatos are ' starfire' also developed at morden research, 'siberia', applause' or 'first lady'.

Positive rbrown974 On Sep 29, 2009, rbrown974 from Newark Valley, NY wrote:

Germination of the seed is poor if the potting soil is too rich. Manitoba is a sprawling plant, difficult to stake. The fruit is round and smooth, no “Turk’s-turban.” Size of the fruit and yield of the plant are on par with Rutgers. Half of the fruits produced are a uniform red. The other half have green streaks, not quite green shoulders. It produced red fruit two weeks ahead of Rutgers. For me, Manitoba was resistant/tolerant to both Early Blight and Late Blight in 2009 (a cold, wet year when blight went wild).

Negative compostuser On Sep 6, 2009, compostuser from Bremerton, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I grew this tomato in 2006 and 2007. It is an early variety; however, the tomato lacks taste - it tastes like a store bought one. Hence, I have to give this tomato a NEGATIVE rating. I have some seeds available if you want them - I don't plan on growing this tomato ever again.

Neutral Farmerdill On Mar 11, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1956 early round red from Morden, Manitoba, Canada.

Neutral oppy On Apr 13, 2003, oppy from Cambridge, MA wrote:

Not very disease resistant. Okay productivity. By comparison Legend grew better and was more productive.

Neutral owlwrite On Feb 5, 2003, owlwrite from Albany, MN (Zone 3b) wrote:

We gave this one a try in 1998 & 2000, and found it to be a very early small-fruiting determinate, especially interesting to us for our northern (Minnesota, 3b) gardens. Oddly enough, it matured in just 47 days in the very cool 1999 growing season, but needed 56 days in the very warm Spring of 2000.

We found it to be prone to Early Blight and somewhat acid, but a pretty good canner despite small size.

Paul Hughey
Sauk River Seed

Neutral briandrader On Jul 15, 2002, briandrader wrote:

Bought a seedling, stuck it indoors under a 175W mercury vapor lamp for about a week of 12 hr on, 12 hr off, just prior to last frost. It flowered despite being just about 6-7" tall.

After last frost I moved it and the soil it was planted in into the garden along with my other tomato plants. Watered thoroughly, fertilized/mulched with some well mixed 3 month old compost consisting mainly of grass trimmings, weeds, and rabbit droppings. I may have allowed some trace amounts of compost to fall on the leaves. This tomato plant died, while my other tomato varieties grew well. I later planted four yellow boy tomatoes in a close ring around the same location - one turned brown at the base of the stem and died shortly after transplant, while three grew well.

Spacing was about 12-18" between tomatoes, growing inside a tomato cage, in fairly heavy black soil with some peat and compost added to lighten it up.

Dunno what I did to this plant. Since I live in Manitoba, I might have another go at this variety next year.

Cambridge, Massachusetts