PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Lemon Boy'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Lemon Boy

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by frogsrus

By passiflora_pink
Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by passiflora_pink

Positive azruss On Jun 8, 2013, azruss from Marana, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is my most productive plant in 6 years of growing tomatoes. I can't keep up! The tomatoes are a beautiful bright lemon yellow, mellowing into a golden yellow as they continue to ripen. Flavor, which intensifies as ripening progresses, is quite good for a yellow tomato. The plant is large, healthy and strong. I wish I could find a red--hybrid or otherwise--that is as productive and delicious. Lemon Boy will be back in the garden next year for sure.

Positive ElementalDomain On Mar 2, 2013, ElementalDomain from Landers, CA wrote:

I've grown a lot of tomatos in my time. This is hand's down the best paste tomato I've ever tasted. Seed cavity is small and few seeds. I just put them through the food mill, sweeten with agave and reduce it (cooking) until it becomes a paste. A lot of my tomatos produce haltingly in the desert summer heat but Lemon Boy did just fine. Its also a mangeable size for an indeterminate. One comment on taste. A tomato, any tomato, produces a flavor resulting directly from what you fed it and how you raised it. If you use chemicals and toxic pesticides or neglect soil health - that flavor is going to be affected. Let me put it another way - if the plant is struggling to overcome deficiencies of any sort - it doesn't have the energy to produce a tasty offspring. Too much water can also be a bad thing for tomato plants. It is necessary to stress them a little - then you are going to get a great taste.

Positive Gclan On Sep 1, 2012, Gclan from Larkfield-Wikiup, CA wrote:

I have grown them from seed, and they came out true to form and I had a ton of them.

Positive rspoilsport On Sep 5, 2011, rspoilsport from Yellow Springs, OH wrote:

I've grown 20 varieties. This one is among the highest and earliest yielding. Flavor is good, but none of my yellow tomatoes taste like a good red or pink. They are different animals.

Positive MBeach06 On Aug 22, 2010, MBeach06 from San Jose, CA wrote:

I have had lots of success with this tomato so far. It has been producing in waves which is kind of interesting. I get lots of tomatoes one week then nothing for a week. They taste great too.

Positive dkagle On Aug 1, 2010, dkagle from Centreville, VA wrote:

This plant outproduced all of the other 30 varieties I am growing this year. The two I am growing now stand at 18 1/2 and 14 1/2 pounds respectively as of Aug 1st with alot more to come. I would not be suprised to see a 30 pound year from this plant. Not a bad taste either. Highly recommended.

Positive geedavedee On Jul 26, 2010, geedavedee from Batavia, NY wrote:

I only planted one of these plants so the production of tomatoes is not great. It is the first tomato I harvested this year and I loved it. Mild in flavor and medium in size. It stood up to being sliced thin and is very eye appealing.

Positive lostinthewoods On Jun 18, 2010, lostinthewoods from Camden, AR wrote:

I was surprise about this tomato. I found it both interesting and tasty. I live here in southern Arkansas and grow 16 different types of tomatoes. This one my wife bought and put it in the most not important part of the garden, and was surprised by the taste and the plant. It was 7 days early and was a healthy plant. My friend a master gardener, thought I was sacrificing chickens to the garden god to get the results I got. It was a combination of fool's luck and God's blessing. I cannot attest to your soil conditions or climate. I did condition my soil as per county agent advice and trusted to providence. It was tasty and was rarely given away.

Positive Fisherdog On May 19, 2010, Fisherdog from Westerville, OH wrote:

I have had great success in central Ohio with the lemon boy. My wife loves to mix them with a beefy red for fresh salsa...delish!

Positive satkins On Apr 25, 2010, satkins from (Zone 6a) wrote:

I too am surprised by negative comments about this cultivar. I have had nothing but great yields of very tasty tomatoes the 3 years I have planted lemon boys. The flavor is not mild, but the acidity is. Last June was much cooler and wetter than average here in Salt Lake and I still had as many tomatoes by late July as in other years. I have found this to be a very pretty and delicious yellow tomato with more flavor than most reds.

Neutral Opaquedream On Mar 4, 2009, Opaquedream from Leander, TX wrote:

Last year was incredibly hot in the Austin, TX area. Also my first year gardening. Couldn't even grow a houseplant before. Tried multiple types of tomato plants. They all died except for a small lemon boy plant. It grew and grew and became quite large. It produced haltingly all summer, the fruit was different sizes. The taste was a bit lemony and disappointing, but still better than anything in the stores.

Pleased with the hardiness of the plant. My beefsteak, etc. didn't make any fruit at all. Won't grow again, because of taste.

Neutral lssfishhunter On Jan 21, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This variety didn't produce as much as I would have liked. I have friends that have had great success with Lemon Boy so I don't want to give conflicting information. The taste was good for a yellow tomato.

Positive toughgardengeek On Dec 8, 2008, toughgardengeek from Bethpage, NY wrote:

I have grown this tomato every year for over 10 years and will continue to do so. Often advertized as mild, but I find that it has a good tangy tomato flavour. Always dependable for me, very prolific and occasionally you will get some over a pound. I am also surprised by the negative comments.

Positive reload1 On Aug 11, 2008, reload1 from Mapleton, ND wrote:

First time I've grown this.Nice husky plants.Fruits beautiful lemon yellow color.Not acid flavor for me.Great taste.I will grow this one again.

Neutral SLO_Garden On Jul 17, 2008, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

Lemon Boy is very prolific. It is disease resistent and produces tons of uniform tomatoes: medium sized, round, and bright yellow. Unfortunately, I found the flavor to be flat and disappointing. Not acidic, not particularly sweet. This is one of my mother's favorite tomatoes, and she raves about the flavor when she grows them. So perhaps, different gardens and conditions = different tomato. I'll let Mom grow these in the future and take a pass.

Positive Fred_in_Maine On Jul 13, 2007, Fred_in_Maine from Portland, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

It is absolutely astonishing to read the variety of impressions of the size, taste and hardiness of this tomato.

On the hardiness scale from 1 to 10 I rate Lemon Boy at 13. 2006 was the wettest and coldest gardening season in Maine history. The mold, wilt and disease killed almost every variety of vegetable in my entire garden. Among the 10 varieties of tomatoes in my garden Lemon Boy was one of the few plants that survived.

Size was inconsistent. Some were 5-7 ounce. Others were closer to a pound. All had a perfectly uniform Beefsteak shape. No Blossom End Rot.

Taste was intense. Slicing my first Lemon Boy was a bit like opening a jar of Vicks Vapo Rub. The fumes alone cleared my sinuses. Tart to the nose yet slightly sweet to the tongue. Mostly tart. Absolutely delicious. Probably too tart for sandwiches but excellent for salads and pastas.

Positive passiflora_pink On Jun 15, 2007, passiflora_pink from Shelby County, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Did great in hot and humid Alabama. Good flavor and disease resistance. Productive, too.

Neutral Suze_ On Sep 17, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

There is also an open-pollinated (dehybridized) version of Lemon Boy available.

I've grown the hybrid before, and thought it had fair, but not great taste.

Negative chicochi3 On Aug 10, 2006, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

I grew this tomato this year, but probably will not grow it again. Production was pretty low, and the tomatoes were practically without flavor. This is probably the worst tomato I have ever dealt with.

Negative kyle_and_erika On Jun 10, 2006, kyle_and_erika from Batesville, AR wrote:

I dont know what it is about me but if its got the name "boy" (big boy, better boy, etc) I cant grow it. I have tried this one for the past two years without a bit of luck - it just wont grow - I mean at the end of the season the plants are little and fruitless. I put out about 15 of them last year and not a single one of them was over 2 feet tall. I had others varieties to reach the ten foot mark.

Oh, and by the way, I have yet to eat a lemon boy...its that bad

Negative pajaritomt On Jun 4, 2006, pajaritomt from Los Alamos, NM (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is one of the most beautiful tomatoes I have ever grown and one of the sourest. A friend of mine and I planted 6 lemon boys and loved their appearance but neither of us could stand to eat them! Lemon boy is a correct name, but if I want sour, I will eat a lemon. Perhaps it is our soil or the high altitute ( 7,300 ft.) but this one is for decoration only, for me and my gardening partner.

Positive kathmo19 On Jan 10, 2005, kathmo19 from Carmichael, CA wrote:

Hand's down the most reliable tomato I've ever grown in more than a dozen years -- pretty, great producer (even in odd-weather years). Great in salsas. Even used it for a cold tomato soup for a dinner party one year. I change varieties every year but always have room for Lemon Boy.

Negative Emaewest On Aug 27, 2004, Emaewest from Timberlea, NS (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grew this tomato at the recommendation of a friend who says it's her favourite. The colour is beautiful, the texture is firm and the small-to-medium size is just what I like. One small problem, though: I can't taste them. I couldn't detect any tomato flavour in them at all. I would have been willing to blame the lack of flavour on the wet summer we've had, except my other tomatoes (which I've grown for about four years) taste the same as they always do. So, this is definitely not a tomato for me.

Rhonda

Positive daisyavenue On Aug 5, 2004, daisyavenue from Long Beach, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

Incredibly prolific plants, the fruits are a nice flavor (sweetish) and texture (delicate). The color is very striking and I was quick to learn that when they turn gold (which can happen very fast) they get a bit watery and are best when they are at the pure butter yellow color stage.

Positive Wingnut On Jun 16, 2004, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Excellent sweet taste. We love to eat them fresh. Beautiful, golden color as well. I agree on the production amount, too! LOTS!

Positive Blangsto On May 24, 2004, Blangsto wrote:

I planted this tomato in a raised bed, and it produced so many pounds of tomatoes I could not believe it. We used it in gazpacho, and it was beautiful, yellow with flecks of green, but best of all it was delicious. I have been looking for another plant in the two summers since. In Austin, we have hot summers, but when the other tomatoes stopped blooming and bearing, it just kept on making tomatoes till mid-November. The tomatoes were large, and looked like beefsteak except yellow.

Neutral Farmerdill On Mar 13, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A small 5- 7 ounce round yellow from Petoseed, released in 1984. It has resistance to verticillium wilt race 1, fusarium wilt race 1, nematodes, alternaria stem canker, and gray leaf spot. I was amazed that some folks would confuse Lemon Boy with a beefsteak type. It has neither the shape nor the size.

Positive mulberryrose On Oct 1, 2003, mulberryrose wrote:

I was so surprised to read what the contributors said about the Lemon Boy taste. I bought a few at the local farmer's co-op and when my husband and I tasted them we loved the tart...almost lemony flavor. I went back the next day and asked what variety they were and they told me "Lemon Boy". I bought all they had and am dehydrating them for use this winter. They were delicious! I did not think they were that sweet and not that mild. Could they have been wrong about the variety?....Mulberryrose

Positive JorgeBorges On Sep 3, 2003, JorgeBorges from London, ON (Zone 4a) wrote:

Large fruits, mild in taste, good for eating fresh.
The plant had good disease resistance and was very productive, with consistently large yellow fruits. I will definitely keep it into my selection for next year.

Positive Lori_NY On Jun 24, 2003, Lori_NY from Canandaigua, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

This grew beautifully in my New York clay soil! It was such a joy to grow because every tomato was picture perfect: no blemishes or cracks and the size was medium, which I prefer.

It is the best tomato to share with friends and family because they are just so darn pretty. The taste is sweet and mild and very non-acidic. I love it plain and also ate it in sandwiches (it's just "good" - not great - in sandwiches though, as it doesn't have the zip that some other tomatoes do.) I will grow this tomato every year faithfully.

Positive crale126 On Sep 3, 2002, crale126 wrote:

I planted one 8" tall 'Lemon Boy' on 6/1/02 into some inexpensive topsoil, sprinkled lightly twice with MiracleGro and now have a 6' tall plant that (as of 9/1/02) has yielded three dozen tomatoes.

It has been a MOST rewarding tomato plant to grow. The only drawback is the plethora of fruit - my neighbors won't answer their doors anymore! Want some??????

Also, have had NO problems with insects etc. Some fruit did crack but only because it got tired of waiting for me to pick it.

Positive madman On Jun 3, 2002, madman wrote:

A rather large bright yellow (NOT orange) tomato; with beautiful sunshine yellow slices. Taste is somewhat sweet. Sliced or in salads, this tomato adds a nice color variation. Plant similar to beefsteak varieties, and bears heavily. Plants have good disease resistance, and I had no problem with cracking or blossom end rot.

Pelham, Alabama