PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Jubilee'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Jubilee

Open-pollinated

Usage:
Fresh, salad
Fresh, slicing

Alternaria Stem Canker (ASC)

Leaf Type:

Thumbnail #3 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by WaltRoos

By JOHNTY001
Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by JOHNTY001

Positive SugarSnapMama On Mar 12, 2012, SugarSnapMama from Columbus, OH wrote:

Absolutely love this tomato. Grew it from seed without knowing anything about it, two years ago. Simply wanted another yellow tomato, and this one sounded good. Grew it again last year, and will this year too. Plant has always been a beast. Healthy and happy even last year, which was a terrible year for tomato in my area. It's a pretty tomato with that orange-yellow skin. Nearly blemish free, and the taste was awesome. Complex sweetness. Mine are more orb than beefsteak. Shelf-life was pretty good. I always start my tomatoes indoors from seed, and add calcium (egg shells in the starting mix). I fertilize a bit less than other gardeners I know, and use compost in the soil. That's about all the fuss I like. Jubilee makes a beautiful salsa mixed in with my Cherokee Purples.

Positive WaltRoos On Jul 22, 2010, WaltRoos from Canton, GA wrote:

One plant grown from seed, and it's a beauty. Many 8 oz fruits, on average, near perfect shaped tomatoes. The first one I picked was a bright yellow, with cavities inside, looked like a stuffing tomato. But the later ones are bright orange, very beefy with less seeds and gel than most other types.
My Jubilees were the winner for best yellow (orange) tomato, at the Cherokee County Master Gardner's Tomato Tasting contest this year.
My one plant is very healthy and holding up well in really hot weather, grown in an Earth Box shared with two other tomato plants. Most of my other plants in raised beads are suffering this year. I will be growing more than one plant next year, and look at the Jubilees as great addition to add color and taste for Slicers, Salads, Salsa, and Sauces. Sort of interesting, the 4 S'es.

walt

Positive lssfishhunter On Jan 21, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is my favorite orange tomato. The taste is good and it has good production even though the tomatoes aren't very large. The taste is average to good.

Neutral lemonfair On Apr 28, 2008, lemonfair from Essex Junction, VT wrote:

My favorite orange, and I've grown several others - Kellogg's breakfast, orange peach, persimmon. I tried orange blossom last year for comparison and still preferred the jubilee. Have grown Jubilee for 20+ years. Good flavor, sweet, good size. Firm enough for me to make an orange tomato/orange marmalade with it.

Positive brentet1955 On Apr 20, 2006, brentet1955 from Redwood City, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

We have a fairly shady garden without only a few hours of direct sun each day and our summers on the San Francisco Peninsula are long, but cooler than most of the country; so I have trouble finding tomatos for our garden that produce well and have good flavor. I grew the Jubilee tomato last year. The plants were compact and they produced a good crop. The tomatos were meaty with a good texture and taste.

Positive Terry On Jul 8, 2005, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

'Jubilee' was the first variety to ripen this year for me. Medium to large, meaty fruit. (May be on the dry side, but when you're craving home-grown tomatoes, it'll help tide you over until other varieties are ripe!

Positive thegoodfairy On Aug 31, 2004, thegoodfairy from Hurricane, UT wrote:

I am a beginner green thumb. I'm 22, and I totally take after my dad. I grew "big yellow" tomatoes for the first time this year. I LOVE them. I personally think they are better than regular red beefsteak. I made fresh salsa with these tomatoes, and I have never had salsa taste so good before. But then that's my own opinion. And they are really fun to give to people who have never even seen them before. In my southern utah town, we believe in the one and only red beefsteak and we don't try new things. So when people see these yellow tomatoes, they are afraid to try it, but once they give it a go, they love them. I also grow yellow pear tomatoes. I love them, maybe I just love yellow food(lemon cucumbers!)

Positive pco262 On Jul 11, 2004, pco262 from Walnut Grove, MO wrote:

I purchased jubilee plants from a greenhouse in Buffalo, MO and planted them just to see if we liked them. The first one off of the plant was one of the largest tomatoes I've seen in a long time along with being very tasty. It also had a beautiful yellow-orange color that would add alot to your plate. I'm not sure if we left it on the vine too long but it was very juicy and in no way dry.

Neutral gman500 On May 1, 2004, gman500 from Manteca, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I wasn't very impressed with the flavor of this tomato but I must admit some of my co-workers claim it was "delicious". What can I say-to each his own.

Negative Farmerdill On Jan 10, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I grew Jubilee and its look alike Sunray in the 50's. It is a round (Globe) medium sized golden tomato with yields similar to Rutgers or Marglobe. It is a solid tomato almost as dry as a paste tomato. Compared to yellow beefsteaks it comes off as dry and tasteless. Many folks claim they don't like yellow tomatoes because they are too dry. They probably are talking about a Jubilee or Sunray, most of them backtrack when I hand them a Goldie or Golden Ponderosa. On my taste buds, Jubilee and Sunray give yellow tomatoes a bad name.

Positive tomato_lady On Mar 29, 2003, tomato_lady from Crossville, TN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this variety of yellow tomato! It adds beauty and flavor to summer dishes whether used in salads or tomato tarts.

It is also one of my favorites to use for making yellow tomato preserves. I use the same recipe used by Thomas Jefferson at Monticello adding sugar and spices to make wonderful preserves similar to apricot preserves but with much better flavor!

Positive owlwrite On Feb 5, 2003, owlwrite from Albany, MN (Zone 3b) wrote:

A very respectable oldie recently rediscovered by a few seed companies. Next to Djena Lee's Golden Girl, Jubilee is possibly the best of the large orange-fruited tomatoes, Jubilee being the sweeter of the two. Golden-orange fruits have a mild, non-acid flavor. Large, globular and smooth with a meaty thick-walled interior. Few seeds. High in vitamins A and C. Indeterminate. Exceptionally sweet with tidy growth habit. 80 days.

Waddell, Arizona