PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Jet Star'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Jet Star

» View all varieties of Tomatoes

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Growing Habit:

Regular Leaf

By chicochi3
Thumbnail #1 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by chicochi3

Positive Onhawaiiantime On Aug 5, 2012, Onhawaiiantime from Syracuse, UT wrote:

This is my first year to have a garden. In early August this tomato plant has outperformed all the other tomatoes I planted. The plant is huge it is producing tons of medium sized fruit.

The tomatoes are uniform in shape. The flavor is quite sweet and has a low acidity level. My younger children love the flavor fresh from the garden. I prefer the flavor of some of the other varieties I have grown that are a little less sweet with a bit more acidity but I enjoy this tomato.

The way it has grown makes me look like I know what I am doing even though this is my first year gardening. I will definitely plant it again.

Positive dgarden11 On Dec 4, 2011, dgarden11 from Quitman, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

We live in NE Texas and have had good success with Jet Star. The weather can be unpredictable here. In 2011, we started from seed in Jan and planted in mid March - takes the cool nights just fine and made loads of tasty tomatoes until the intense heat of this last summer set in (76 days over 100 degrees!). We started another crop from seed in June and planted in early August for fall garden. They continue to set with nighttime temps in the 40-50 degree range. We covered with sheets for light frost and then picked buckets full of good-sized green tomatoes to ripen on shelves under newspaper before heavy frost. Today is 4 Dec, and we had fresh tomato juice and sliced tomatoes for breakfast! Looks like we'll have them for Christmas, too!

Neutral lssfishhunter On Jan 14, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have heard people comparing this tomato to Jetsetter. Let me tell you: Jetsetter is much better especially when it comes to production and size. Jetstars may perform better in cooler climates. Jetstar has a 'sweeter' taste than I prefer. Some people may like it. However, in my opinion, there are better varieties.

Positive jhuot On Aug 27, 2008, jhuot from South Windsor, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

I am a big fan of the Jet Star tomato. I really like the mild, sweet flavor, and they grow so easily and so big that it makes people think I know what I am doing in the garden. This year's crop is really amazing thanks to the hot weather and plentiful rain this summer. I did use Miraclo Gro a couple of times just after they started to flower, but after that nature took over. The only bad thing that happened was that they outgrew the cages quickly and were so heavy with fruit at the top, that many of them toppled over. Fortunately this did not hurt the fruit. Next year I will look for a better way to stake them.

Positive BigBud On Jul 20, 2008, BigBud from Prior Lake, MN wrote:

I've been growing this variety for about 15 years and have always sworn by it. This one is almost always perfect when other varieties have problems. This year is different though and I've lost one plant already and may lose a couple more. I have a severe wilt problem and it is also wreaking havoc on my peppers. I may have to sterilize the soil, as it seems to be a major problem this year. I also have an Ash and Cherry tree in the back year that are inflicted by some sort of mold/fungus problem.

Positive 5718 On Jul 11, 2008, 5718 from Warrensburg, MO wrote:

Although this tomato does not appear to be too popular in this area, I've used and liked it for years. It is not large, but as others have pointed out, it does not crack, it produces many tomatoes on each plant, and it is very tasty. It alsokeeps producing and is disease free.

Neutral Bryanccfshr On May 27, 2008, Bryanccfshr from Cibolo, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I would describe this as a productive and durable hybrid with average taste. Great for cooking orusing as a market tomato or as a trap crop for the pesky neighbors who always want a few tomatoes. Compact indeterminate best describes the growth habit, no cage or support is really needed for this one.

Positive Terry On Aug 18, 2006, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I'm not a fan of hybrids, but 'Jet Star' has performed very well as a canning tomato this year. It's certainly nothing special as far as eating fresh out of hand goes, but my six plants of this variety have consistently produced good-size, blemish-free fruit, even when other varieties (all set out on the same date) showed signs of heat stress.

Positive dlnevins On Aug 1, 2006, dlnevins from Omaha, NE wrote:

This plant has really performed well in my garden this year, pumping out lots of baseball to softball size round red globes with a great, rich flavor. I've had a few fruits with blossom end rot (which is not surprising, given the etreme weather my area has experienced this year), but the yield has been good enough that losing a tomato or two to BER hasn't been a big problem. The tomatoes have proven to be crack-resistant, too. I've seen no foliage diseases. This one has probably earned a permanent place in my garden.

Positive kyle_and_erika On Jun 9, 2006, kyle_and_erika from Batesville, AR wrote:

I grew these last year for the first time and got a surprise. They did alright!! After I had planted 144 of them I learned that they were bred for up north. I thought they would be"disease fodder". And for the first two or three weeks the looked like they were about to "stroke out" from heat exhaustion.

But to my surprise they started growing and setting fruit. A lot of fruit too. The yield really surprised me. And they stood up real well to disease and pests - another surprise.

For me the fruit was orange instead of the advertised red and the flavor was that of most orange tomatoes - sweet and mild, but good.

The only real problem I had was that after the initial wave of fruit that was it - they were done. It is advertised as being semi-indeterminate but yielded like a true determinate. And they were more prone the BER than anything else I grew. But BER and only one wave of fruit considered they still yielded well. I bet it would really preform in it's targeted location.

Positive Gindee77 On Jun 15, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

A nice tomato, medium sized so it makes a good slicer. The flavor is very good.

Neutral Farmerdill On Mar 15, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1969 fresh market tomato from the Joseph Harris Co. Recommended for Northern USA. Round red 6-7 ounce fruit.

Positive sonnys On Jan 19, 2004, sonnys from Mackeyville, PA wrote:

We bought one 1 jet star plant from our amish neighbors to see if we liked it. It was a heavy bearer, and beautiful. we enjoyed the taste and medium size. we definatly will plant more of them this year!Maybe it was the wonderful start they gave it?

Positive lmiller On Sep 10, 2003, lmiller wrote:

Very tasty tomatoes that are bright red, but I was a bit disappointed at the size of the fruit. I thought they would be large like beefsteak tomatoes, but most of the ones I've gotten are small, 3 inches in diameter or less. The plants grow well in Westchester County, New York (an hour north of NYC).

Neutral scooterbug On Jun 16, 2003, scooterbug from Tellico Plains, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

I planted 'Jet Star' tomatoes for the first time this year; wll report back with information and pictures.

Marana, Arizona