Tomato 'HealthKick'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: HealthKick

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Lorton, Virginia

On May 1, 2013, NovaScotian from antigonish

Had three plants. Each one produced about 80 tomatoes. The cages fell over because of the weight. No rot, or cracking at all.

On Aug 31, 2011, goulot from Canton, MI wrote:

I have grown it for four years, and I intend to keep growing it. The fruits are meaty, with a skin that is not so thin as to make eating it unpleasant. Huge yields, even though the plants end up looking ratty as the fruit ripens. I eat what I can, freeze the rest either whole of cut in two. Very good to make sauce, or to add to sautéed eggplant or zucchini because, not being juicy, they cook fast and do not drown the other vegetables.

On Jul 19, 2010, Grow_Pittsburgh from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

Ok Plum type tomato I use it for paste or dicing in different things. It is very fast to give off tomatoes. Small plant good for containers. Nothing to overly impressive to write home about. I will grow it again because it is a very fast tomato to produce.

On May 13, 2009, Laflora from DeLand, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I grew this tomato once, about two years ago, from transplants my dad started from seed. They did exceptionally well. Were very productive and had good flavor. I usually don't have a lot of luck with Roma-type tomatoes, so I was happy with this one and would grow it again.

On Sep 15, 2008, ByndeweedBeth from scio, oregon, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

This type of tomato was the only one that had BER for me. I would hesitate to grow it again.

On Mar 3, 2008, jessums from Pittsburgh, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Grown two years in a row and I had dissapointing results from both trials, a total of 12 plants in two years. Mediocre taste, does not produce as many as other same sized Hybrids (like the Juliet). Will not plant again.

On Jun 29, 2007, LooneyLinda from Mantua, UT (Zone 4b) wrote:

Mediocre taste. Will not plant again.

On Aug 18, 2006, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

A very prolific producer of very meaty, deep rich colored tomatoes that have been excellent for canning. Will definitely grow again.

On Feb 18, 2006, Moopsee from Fort Collins, CO wrote:

It is supposed to be so resistent to sooo much -- but it was the first to have a lot of leaf problems. Did produce well in spite, but I am not growing again. Flavor was not above average at all. Very disappointed by the plants. Surprisingly, some of my heirlooms did much better!

On Jul 25, 2005, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

This grew well for me in Iowa - not as prolific as some varieties, but good sized fruits. Had the first 8 or 10 fruits lost to blossom end rot. Otherwise, good tomato. I'd grow it again. Used the fruits for tomato sauces.

Grew again in 2007, fruits much bigger this year. Started my own plants from seed (new purchased seed) instead of buying transplants. I like the fruits very well for paste.

On Jul 14, 2005, FrankBlissett from Sault Sainte Marie, MI wrote:

On a whim, we bought a 6 pack of Healthkick in 2004. Didn't have room in our market garden, so we planted them in 3 gallon pails, using slats as stakes. Needless to say, they were the only tomato variety that did good for us that year!

They produced abundantly and reliably through the season. My only regret is that I didn't try overwintering some plants to get cuttings for this spring, as the local nurseries didn't stock them this year.

On Jun 16, 2005, Krazy_Canuck from Thunder Bay

I grew this in Thunder Bay Ontario, Ag zone 3b last year (2004) and it really performed well for me. I got oodles of fruit from it, about the size of a Roma, and was a nice determinate size.

The flavour was just fine by saladette standards, and i had zero cracking on the fruits.

On Mar 19, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1999 fresh market saladette tomato from Seminis (Petoseed).Plum shaped 3-5 ounce fruits. It supposedly has an excess amount of the anti-oxidant Lycopene. It has resistance to verticillium wilt race 1, fusarium wilt races 1 and 2, gray leaf spot, alternaria stem canker, bacterial speck,and spotted wilt virus.