Tomato 'Gold Nugget'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Gold Nugget
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Ferment seeds before storing

Hutto, Texas

Irving, Texas

Paine Field-lake Stickney, Washington

On May 21, 2014, dreaves from Hutto, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Compact grower, VERY prolific early producer. The plant is covered with large marble-sized tomatoes. Unfortunately, the tomato is very bland with little flavor or sweetness. It's not quite a 'spitter', but unless the flavor improves over the season I won't be growing again.

On Mar 11, 2013, CommonCents from Jasper, GA wrote:

I grew one vine of this in 2012, and I grew it in a hanging planter in a 16" pot (about 6 gallons of potting mix/kitty litter in the pot). It produced lots of tomatoes, and it was the first one producing tomatoes, some were ripening around Mothers Day. It grew up the net in my planter. We went away for a week or two in the summer, for vacation, and when we returned, it was growing out the top and up onto the roof. I ended up trimming/pruning that back just a bit, and got some fall tomatoes from some of the trimmings that I rooted in another planter. This is on my regular grow list now, and I'll have 1 or maybe 2 vines in my hanging planters in 2013. This variety would also probably do well in a 5 gallon bucket on a porch or patio.

On Jul 27, 2008, dorisv from Oakland, CA wrote:

Gold Nugget has always been a very dependable and prolific plant. The determinate nature is perfect for smaller areas.

On Jul 25, 2004, huastec from Chicago, IL wrote:

I screwed up and planted to plants close to each other but otherwise there coming in nicely.

On Mar 22, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A golden cherry tomato from Oregon State University. Like most of the OSU tomatoes , it bears a high percentage of seedless fruit.

On Aug 15, 2003, FCivish from South Jordan, UT wrote:

A strong grower and early, but only so - so Flavor.

On Jul 26, 2003, george34 wrote:

First to ripen here (Seattle area)too. None of my other tomato varieties are even hinting at changing from green yet. They are sweet, but not too sweet.

On Sep 6, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Gold Nugget is always the first to bear fruit in my Alaskan greenhouse.