Tomato 'Fourth of July'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Fourth of July

Roanoke, Virginia

Belmont, West Virginia

Cedarburg, Wisconsin

On Feb 28, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- Fourth of July is the earliest tomato I know. I start the plant from seed in late December and plant it out in early February. It bears well until mid-June and then usually dies.

On May 29, 2013, jp1 from Liberty, TX (Zone 7a) wrote:

I grown all types of tomato's (Zone 8) strongly recommend The Fourth of July , this year I have a 120 plants, consisting of 6 different well know types.
Next year I will only have two types and Fourth of July will be the first ones set. Good Luck

On Mar 9, 2013, jonnytomatoseed from Marysville, MI wrote:

I have grown FOJ several years now. Productive , tasty with no pest problems. Have had ripe tomates the week of July 4 at Southern end of Lake Huron in Michigan .If I am expecting heavy rains , i pick the ripe or nearly ripe ones.A couple years ago I paniced because I had a hard time finding them.We all love the distinct flavor

On Sep 1, 2012, nmbirder from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I will add to the praise of this tomato. Takes the heat, has good flovor, it's early, uniform and resistant to disease. I like them best sliced in a salad. There are so many I can give them away to friends and still have plenty to eat at home.

On Jul 31, 2011, jarretlobb from Pittsford, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Second year with four plants, they now average 4 ft. tall and are loaded with tasty fruit which we began harvesting on July 13. Last year we picked the first ones on the 4th but transplanted them mid May not the end of May. Much better experience, for me, than the Early Girl. Early Harvest is the main attraction with this variety, so I will plant again next year but with fewer plants since I discovered Black Cherry and SunGold which are almost as quick to harvest and, I think, have a better flavor and are move prolific; admittedly, they are smaller. Pittsford is a suburb of Rochester, NY, in the Northwestern section of NY state.

On Jul 4, 2011, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I grow this tomato every year. It has produced ripe tomatoes as early as June 16th for me. It produces large quantities of healthy tasty tomatoes all season long. I love making tomato basil salad from this tomato which we enjoy all season long.

On Jun 9, 2010, WaltRoos from Canton, GA wrote:

Picked my first 6 ripe tomatoes from 3 beautiful plants, June 9, 2010. This is one of my favorites of the 30 varieties I usually try per year. It's 2 ", 2 oz or an average of my six first picks of 1.7 oz. They come early, they come often, and they continue untill frost. Taste good to me, and they are usually blemish free. Just for fun I saved seeds from last year and grew 12 of them. I got 8 regular leaf plants and 4 potato leaf plants. Just curious as to what the plants and tomatos will be like. It is for sure a Hybrid. BTW--(by the way) My favorite Tomato is also from Burpee , the Red October.

Here I am in 2012 getting ready to plant my Tomato seeds and I feel compelled to sing the praises of the Fourth of July Tomatoes. If I could o... read more

On Jun 9, 2010, Pugzley from Lake Elsinore, CA wrote:

Love the 4th of July tomatoes and the plant. I planted 5 last year and they produced like crazy, huge hanging clusters of plum sized toms. The taste is great, but the skins are on the thick side, but that wouldn't stop my growing it every year from now on. One plant survived the winter here in the inland empire in so cal and it's been producing toms for a couple of weeks now. I pulled suckers off this plant and now have 4 more of them growing and they have green tomatoes on them now. Last summer these plants continued to produce and produce for many, many months right through the blistering heat.

On Jan 26, 2010, paulrph1 from Washington, UT wrote:

LOVE this tomato. It produces early, bears long and produces many fruit. They are a little on the smaller size but they make up for it in quantity. Last year they never quit setting tomatoes and I live in the hot climate of St. George. Utah. We often get temps to 110 in the summers. Las Year was a little cooler though. I have been growing it for a few years ever since it came out and I have been impressed. There is no problems with the plant but I was surprised to find the seeds were sterile. Try this one!

On Aug 5, 2009, csgarden from Roanoke, VA wrote:

Very prolific and tasty. The skins did have a tendancy to split, but not too badly. Will grow again.

On Dec 6, 2007, upgarden from Whitney Point, NY wrote:

I've grown this type for three years. Tremendous yields, better than 40 lbs per plant. The first year I had ripe tomatoes the first week in July - in upstate NY. No problems with the plants or fruits.

On Nov 9, 2007, tarheel2az from Tonto Basin, AZ wrote:

Of the dozen or so varieties we've tried since moving to hot Arizona (60 mi northeast of Phoenix), this variety is a must-have for us. It bears early and prolifically and is my wife's favorite for taste (motivation!). In mid-July night temps get so high that fruit won't set, and I prune it back to above the first healthy side branch. By early October it is bearing well again.

On Dec 22, 2006, kygreg2000 from Hopkinsville, KY wrote:

very prolific, flavorful tomato, mostly plum size, some a little larger.

On Oct 23, 2006, elkwc36 from Elkhart, KS wrote:

It produced 35 days after transplant on June the 29th. Had no tomatoes on it when planted. And produced till frost on October 21st. Taste was average. Was better late. It was one of the few who produced all summer during the heat and drought. Sure a dependable one and easy to grow.

On Jun 26, 2006, tmm99 from Sunnyvale, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Got my first tomato on 6/24, a day before my first Stupice, and my friends aren't getting any Early Girls yet.
Very tasty - both acidic and sweet, but tough skin! Easily split.

On Feb 11, 2006, CathWren from Peachtree City, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Purchased a healthy transplant at the local Kmart in spring and by the Fourth of July I harvested delicious tomatoes and continued to harvest until well into fall.

On Jan 31, 2006, hurono from Troy, OH wrote:

My surprise tomato for 2005. It was early and had clusters of 20 or 30 tomatoes at a time. Reliable in Ohio from late June right through to mid-October. Very impressive. Far and away best producer of really good, under rated tomatoes. Want to see if we are successful de-hybridizing the Fourth of July this year.

On Jan 26, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I wasn't particularly impressed with 'Fourth of July'; I prefer a sweeter tomato.

On Jan 17, 2006, tomakers from Middleboro, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grew this tomato for the first time this year. It was quite early, but not by the Fourth of July, although that could be obtainable if it were started early enough and frost protected. The taste was quite good although the skin was slightly thick, particularly late in the season. It also tended to crack very easily after heavy rain.

On Dec 19, 2005, Sarahskeeper from Brockton, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

My favorite early. Better flavor, slightly smaller and 7 - 10 days earlier than Early Girl. Indeterminate season long producer. Likely to split after heavy rains, so keep an even watering routine. The skin is a bit tougher than most and it is VERY juicy. A 'must have' in my garden every year.
Andy P

On Sep 27, 2005, fwfarm from Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a great early tomato. Not the earliest, but better than most, and the flavor is outstanding. And the tomatoes keep coming all season (though we neglect them when the big heirlooms finally arrive). These sometimes have cracking, and more often the tomatoes crack after harvest on the way to the kitchen.

On Jul 25, 2005, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

Great variety for me. Fruits ripened early - had the first one on June 28! Great for zone 5a! Good flavour and nice colour too. I will grow this one again. It is still producing very well in mid July. Great for salad, pizza topping, and sauce.

On Jan 31, 2005, kathmo19 from Carmichael, CA wrote:

This lived up to its name -- in 2004 I picked the first one on the 3rd of July. Good early salad tomato. However, as the weather warmed up -- and the Sacramento area has very intense, dry heat late July and through August -- the fruit started exploding as it ripened. If I were to grow this again, I'd pick them early during the hot weeks and let them finish ripening indoors.

On Dec 28, 2004, toomanypotatoes from Perry, MI wrote:

Came on strong as an early season tomato. Taste was decent, but fizzled on me due to early blight (2004 was very wet here in the middle of Michigan).

On Dec 4, 2004, jmhewitt from Hampstead, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have grown it this fall. haven't had any ripe fruit yet, but a 65 day rating would probably be about right. way behind 'Early Wonder' and 'Matina', for example.

On May 15, 2004, Gardener_Bob from Huntington Woods, MI wrote:

I had a wonderful experience for two years with this variety in the Detroit metro area. While the real date is more like July 20, I stopped counting when I had over 500 tomatoes from 8 plants. The plants kept producing fruit through the whole season until the first frost. They ripened in my basement until early Febraury. I don't have any this year because my plant vendor sold them out at 5:30 am to a retail vendor. I plan to buy seeds for next year. Use a search on Google's Froogel to find the seed vendor.

On May 1, 2004, gman500 from Manteca, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Grew this tomato in 2003. Small-medium sized fruit with a slightly above average flavor. Very prolific. It took 2 frosts to stop this puppy. Fruits ripened more like the 20th of July.

On Jun 8, 2003, jkandell wrote:

This plant is excellent for the hot deserts of Tucson Arizona. I haven't had it produce in 55 days as it says, but it's still one of my earliest tomatoes. It's good insurance if the season turns out to be shorter than it takes for the medium sized varities. The fruit is small, like Stupice, but a nice balance of sweetness and tart. It is a salad tomato, too small to use in anything more than a salad, really.