PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Early Cascade'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Early Cascade

By Emaewest
Thumbnail #1 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Emaewest

By Patbarr
Thumbnail #2 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Patbarr

Positive johnrsharp On May 1, 2014, johnrsharp from Hillsboro, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have grown Early Cascade tomatoes for 40 years in Oregon and Illinois. They are the best tomato of all, for me, except the last two times were forgery seeds. The one negative comment was probably a forgery. My comments below assume it might be possible to get a real Early Cascade again.

They are small, 3-4 ounces. If you want a large tomato, plant Early Cascade and another plant with large tomatoes. They have a very strong tomato flavor. If you want a bland tasting tomato, plant a yellow one.

They have the highest yield, by far, of any tomato I've grown, 50 lbs or more. The also have the longest season of all, starting early and going well into the fall, then harvest all the larger green tomatoes, and they will ripen for 2-3 months in storage. I usually had Christmas tomatoes.

They are very firm, not many seeds, almost no core, don't bruise easily, and keep for at least weeks, longer keeping than "long keeper". I never had blossom rot or splinting. They are almost as pulpy as paste tomatoes, and make the best tasting tomato sauce of all. Excellent for chopped salads and salsa.

Negative lssfishhunter On Jan 14, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This variety produces loads of small tomatoes early. I was not impressed with the taste nor the overall production of plant. Once the summer heat kicked in, my Early Cascades basically gave up on production. Maybe this variety is better suited for cooler climates.

Positive Patbarr On Jul 15, 2007, Patbarr from Sheffield
United Kingdom (Zone 7b) wrote:

I chose this variety from last year's Tomato Round Robin and asked about it being a hybrid as I like to save seed.

ZZTOPSOIL says she has grown and kept seed from it for the past seven years and it comes true, so maybe it is now an established variety.

Positive farmerboy On May 4, 2004, farmerboy from Central Point, OR wrote:

I planted a Cascade tomato in an unheated greenhouse. It reached a height of 9 ft. 6 inches, and bore tomatos until January, when it finally froze and died. It produced buckets of tomatos during the summer and up to the time it died. It set fruit even after the nights began to get below freezing. I reccomend a few Cascade Plants if you want lots of tomatos.

Positive Emaewest On Nov 7, 2003, Emaewest from Timberlea, NS (Zone 6a) wrote:

These tomatoes grow easily from seed and produce lots of full-flavoured, firm, mid-sized fruit. I have grown them in containers and have had absolutely no problems with them at all.

Positive SusieRay On Jan 26, 2003, SusieRay wrote:

This is my personal favorite tomato for eating fresh. It
is the perfect size for snacking (2" diameter) and also
is great in salads. It is firm (I HATE mushy tomatoes!)
and has a tart, fruity kind of flavor.
The plants are indeterminate, so I always grow them in
cages that I make from 4' utility fencing, I use a 7' to 8'
length of the fencing and form it into a cylinder....works
great. The fruits form in cascading bunches, and there
are ALWAYS too many, so be prepared to share. My dog
eats them right off the plant, which I would prefer she
didn't, but there are still plenty for us!!!
I would not save seed from this one, since it is a hybrid.
I purchased seed from Nichols Nursery in Albany, OR for
years, but they no longer carry it. I have found it in the
Vesey's seed catalog, however.....

East Bridgewater, Massachusetts