Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Burpees Big Boy'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Burpees Big Boy
Additional cultivar information:(aka Big Boy)
Hybridized by Burpee

Fredericksburg, Virginia

Radford, Virginia

Troy, Virginia

On Sep 4, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

There is a also a de-hybridized version of Big Boy; here's the description: "82 days. Indeterminate, 1 pound flattened globe, red flesh, excellent yield, acidic taste. This is an open pollinated version of the hybrid."

On Jun 15, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a great slicer and it has wonderful flavor. The plant gets huge and needs support.

On Jul 24, 2004, sylph from Macedon, NY wrote:

I got a few plants that had already been started. I got them when they were pretty small, about 5 or 6 inches tall. They grew quickly when I planted them. About two weeks later they are between 1.5 and 2 feet tall. I can see the difference in growth each day. It sounds like these things grow huge. This is my first garden, by the way.

On Apr 8, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1949 round red. Globe shaped fruits average about 10 ounces. I first grew this cultivar in 1950 and was impressed with the toughness of the skin. I threatened to tan the skins and sell them for shoe leather. Many later commercial varieties have surpassed the skin toughness however. It is a reliable performer under varied conditions.

On Mar 29, 2003, tomato_lady from Crossville, TN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I like this tomato very much - more than Better Boy, actually. I usually keep my vines trimmed even with the top of the house, but I have also grown them up against the sides of our barn and they do quite well - reaching over 10 feet tall. The fruits are large and firm and there are lots and lots of them on a vine. I would recommend it to anyone.

On Sep 17, 2002, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Coastal Northern California is difficult for growing tomatoes -- too cold and foggy. Big Boy is extremely vigorous even here (it broke my normally sturdy wire box cage) but I found the flavor to be relatively insipid compared to heirloom types. Still, it makes a nice bruschetta (chopped tomatoes, fresh basil & olive oil), and is certainly better than grocery-store tomatoes any day.