PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Brandy Boy'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Brandy Boy

Thumbnail #3 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by foose4string

By foose4string
Thumbnail #4 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by foose4string

Positive penn1950 On Jul 26, 2013, penn1950 from Front Royal, VA wrote:

I was introduced to this tomato by way of the annual tomato-tasting event at the Penn State tomato testing facility at the coop extension service in Chambersburg, PA, where it consistently ranks tops in flavor.
Knowing Brandywine's fearsome reputation for disease and production problems and not being necessarily committed to heirlooms, I gave Brandyboy a try.
As of 26 July, my observations of Brandyboy lead me to rate the flavor as excellent, the production as average or better. ( I grow my tomatoes in 25 gallon containers using a combination of synthetic and organic fertilizers). I cannot accurately comment on disease resistance. This spring and summer have presented us with constant rain, cool temperatures, and the worst disease problems I have encountered in tomatoes in my entire career as a grower. Both hybrids and heirlooms were so decimated by early blight that I found it necessary to use a fungicide for the first time ever to save my plants. I will grow Brandyboy again, and agree with Penn State's assessment that if you grow only one variety of tomato, Brandyboy would be a good choice.

Positive foose4string On Mar 7, 2012, foose4string from EARLEVILLE, MD (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love Brandywine but don't like the low production and lack of disease resistance. Brandy Boy seems to have improved greatly on those traits. Flavor is not quite as intense as Brandywine, but very similar. Production still not the greatest but much improved over Brandywine. A 'must grow' for me every year. I have quit growing Brandywine as it has become somewhat redundant growing both, and Brandy Boy is just a better plant overall. This is one of my favorites and I always look forward to the first ripe.

Neutral azruss On Jun 13, 2011, azruss from Marana, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

The flavor is awesome, but production was fairly low both this year and last. This year, the tomatoes seemed particularly susceptible to blossom end rot. I still have some of Burpee's expensive seeds, so I probably will try it one more season, but this variety is losing my love steadily.

Positive b54red On Dec 12, 2009, b54red from Dothan, AL wrote:

I give it a positive rating because of the taste and because it is the only Brandywine of any kind that has ever produced fruit for me. Of 5 plants I set out 3 produced ripe fruit but only 2 produced the large tomatoes one associates with the name. They didn't produce many toms only about 6 or 7 on each plant before giving in to disease. I will keep growing this as long as I can get the seed.

Positive tdscpa On Apr 7, 2009, tdscpa from Hill City, KS wrote:

My favorite hybrid. One of the first tomatoes I chose to grow. Will probably grow it as long as I garden.

In my garden, produces good tasting tomatoes, seems to resist disease, very productive.

Positive deuteros On Jun 5, 2008, deuteros from Roswell, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I grew these from seed in 5 gallon buckets on my deck. I've never grown Brandywines before so I can't compare them to the original but the flavor is excellent. Easily one of the tastiest tomatoes I've ever grown.

Production is good. I've already picked a few that were easily over 1 pound. Fruits are very meaty inside but seem to be prone to cracking.

I will definitely grow these again.

Positive lemonfair On Apr 28, 2008, lemonfair from Essex Junction, VT wrote:

A really fine tomato. Very large, meaty, very few seeds, sweet. used to grow brandywine and this is so much more productive I see no reason to go back. Freezes well.

Positive Suze_ On Jun 30, 2007, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Very good to excellent taste for a hybrid. However, it isn't significantly more productive for me than the real deal -- Brandywine.

Positive cottonpicker On Jul 21, 2006, cottonpicker from Audubon, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

It's a winner in my garden. Great taste, no disease problem, robust plant, fruit in the 1 lb. range, no cracking or catfacing. Will have it again next year & intend to also plant Brandywine, Sudduth to compare.

Positive JefeQuicktech On Oct 18, 2004, JefeQuicktech from Moorhead, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

For me it lived up to it's billing as having a more manageable upright growth habit. The plant itself is beautiful. (But, I've met few ugly tomato plants.) Also the goal of a more consistent fruit shape panned out for me.

Taste is very good with that bit of acidiness that a tomato must have. (Leflora had the perfect description of taste as having a Brandywine "essence".)

Plants have a bit of early blight problems under the grow lights if crowded even slightly. They need lots of air flow.

Bottom line: The heirloom snobs won't like it, and might as well grow the original Brandywine. If you just like tomato variety, then plant a few of them. They are nice plants.

Positive Laflora On May 23, 2004, Laflora from DeLand, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Brandy Boy did great in Central Florida. I grew it in an Earth Box in 2003 and it far exceeded my expectations, which I had based on my Brandywine experiences. Brandy Boy has excellent flavor for a hybrid -- not quite as flavorful as Brandywine but it does contain that Brandywine "essence" (don't know how else to explain it). Brandy Boy is a heavy producer and is disease resistant, a big plus in my hot, humid climate where early blight sets in really early.

Positive twobells On Mar 18, 2004, twobells from Rocklin, CA wrote:

Found this to be a very successful variety for the hot Sacramento Valley. Most of my fruit was in the one pound range, no cracking, great taste and heavy bearing. Plants were in 7 1/2 cages and grew to 10-11 feet. Planted next to Red Brandywine, it was hard to distinguish between the two varieties. Yields were about the same. As this was the first year for Brandy Boy in my garden (2003) we will see what happens in 2004 for my Brandywines seem to change their yields in some years.

Positive aceayers On Jan 14, 2004, aceayers from Casey, IA wrote:

Taste was very good maybe not heirloom good but much earlier and very productive. I will plant again this year for sure.

Positive aris On Dec 28, 2003, aris from Alameda, CA wrote:

Nearly no cat-facing on these nice big slicers -- up to a pound (though I've not gotten any that big...yet!). It's resistant to:
Fusarium Wilt, Verticillium Wilt, Root Nematodes, and Tobacco Mosaic (T), the first two of which we have trouble with here. No real big sign of them on the plant yet, which is GREAT. The heirlooms have been dropping leaves all over the place.

The blurbs say "this new introduction produces four to five times the yield of the famous heirloom and matures 10 days earlier (78 days)...", and I like 'em just fine. The fruits are VERY fragrant, very sweet, a little bit of acid, lovely smooth texture, rather more pulp than juice, but are prone to splitting. A definite MUST for my shady garden this year.

Neutral Weedwhacker On Oct 8, 2003, Weedwhacker from Bark River (UP), MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

This variety was a disappointment for me; the plants were very vigorous and productive, but the tomatoes had less flavor than, and were every bit as irregular in shape as, Brandywine. Can't say if they were actually earlier because I unfortunately didn't grow the original Brandywine variety for a side by side comparison. I wouldn't grow these again.

Positive FCivish On Aug 15, 2003, FCivish from South Jordan, UT wrote:

Similar to 'Brandywine' in growth and form. Taste was similar, but not quite as strong on flavor; a little earlier and more prolific.

Memphis, Alabama
Alameda, California (2 reports)
Manteca, California