Tomato 'Big Mama'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Big Mama

Riverton, Utah

Plainfield, Wisconsin

Sheboygan, Wisconsin

On Aug 5, 2012, donnyczech from Sioux Falls, SD (Zone 4b) wrote:

Big Mama is a good plant and the fruit is a large tasty Roma. I noticed, however, that it is susceptible to blossom end rot. I grew a couple of them in different places in my garden. The one that was planted in my new raised bed with new dirt and no home-made compost got blossom end rot because I did not have enough calcium in the hole when I planted it. In the other places where I had added sufficient calcium from ground-up egg shells and compost, there was less of a problem. I think I will grow Big Mama again and will definitely pay more attention to soil preparation.

On Mar 7, 2012, foose4string from EARLEVILLE, MD (Zone 7b) wrote:

Production was very poor. Got about 4 tomatoes total. Fruit was huge considering it's a paste variety, but not worth it to me. I may try again at some point, but Roma VFN is much more reliable.

On Feb 15, 2012, Dobelover from Monmouth, IL wrote:

We love this tomato! I have grown Big Mamas for 3 or 4 years now and I have had no problems with blight. Maybe because I mulch around my plants.(?) It is great for canning, just scald and the skin just slides right off. And there is very little core to remove. It is also great for juicing, meaty and very few seeds. My biggest problem with this tomato is that Burpee wants top dollar for their seeds, $9.90 for about 30 seeds. Next year I may have a different plan......

On Jul 4, 2011, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I grow this tomato every year. It is a wonderful late producer. It provides plenty of delicious fruit that I slice lengthwise for sandwiches and also for salads. The fruits are very large for a Roma/paste type of tomato. I look forward to this tomato late in every season!.

On Jan 27, 2011, brisketcook from Plainfield, WI wrote:

Grow this plant every year big beautiful plants , fruit and yes have issues with blight but that i caused and all the tomato plants suffered/ last year no problem with all plants in garden
any tomatoes i till into ground big mama do grow next year on there own but are late to ripen of cource late start.The plant discription says plant has no seeds ? not true to seed produced? I buy new seed because i grow differant tomato plants togeather. These are big roma tomato's I WILL ALWAYS GROW THIS PLANT EVERY YEAR!

On Dec 22, 2010, bamabean from Birmingham, AL wrote:

Produced late into the fall. Did not tolerate heat too well. Blossom end rot. May use this for a later season planter. Good size fruit and wonderful taste. I'll take precautions on watering regular and try it again this year. I want this one to work.

On Jan 22, 2010, mnmagnolia from Kimball, MN wrote:

Spring of 2009 started plants from seed inside. Got an abundance of plants--too many for my tomato cages--so I let them spread on the ground. The stems/branches took root and I had an overabundance of very large fruit. This year will do the same and let them root again. Big Mama will replace Roma and Viva Italia I have grown in the past. (Central Minnesota)

On Jan 20, 2009, Careywood360 from Careywood, ID (Zone 5a) wrote:

I grow this tomato (and all of my tomatoes) in a large hoop-style greenhouse because my nighttime temperatures (even in summer!) are too cool for ripening the pesky things. Big Mama has performed well for me in this setting, and I have no complaints about flavor or quality of fruit. They've won me blue ribbons at the county fair! I have some blight issues with all my tomatoes in the greenhouse, but I find that pruning tends to reduce that problem. It's a vigorous grower so, if I didn't prune hard, I'd have a Big Mama jungle (think pith helmets and machetes)!

On Oct 5, 2008, Sequee from Carmel, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Very heavy producer of BIG, meaty pasters. My favorite paster by far.

On Sep 12, 2006, jenhillphoto from Danbury, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

My Big Mamas have been very healthy plants in my garden. The foliage is not very dense compared to some other plants. However, they have produced lots of beautiful looking, good tasting tomatoes.

On Jun 8, 2006, wforge from Collierville, TN wrote:

Plant is very susceptable to blight - I was looking forward to growing this tomato. Would probably not grow again.

On Feb 7, 2005, twobells from Rocklin, CA wrote:

I have grown Big Mama hear in the Sacramento Valley and it is a heavy producer of fist sized Roma type tomatoes that are ideal for salsas and other sauces. Thick walled with a medium sweet and acid flavor.

On Jan 10, 2005, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Oval-shaped and very large. Wonderful for pastes, sauces and eating fresh. Ready to harvest in 80 days. Grow in full sun.

On Oct 18, 2004, JefeQuicktech from Moorhead, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Heavy producer of very tasty fruit. Meaty. Rich deep color. Perfect for dehydrating or salsa, yet very "tomatoey" tasting. Each fruit is about equal to three Romas, so you get a lot of bang for your buck on this one.

Always has blight issues for us, yet keeps right on producing. I prefer plants that look nicer, but I just can't give up on this one. It just is too tasty and too productive.

On Apr 12, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A big home garden paste type tomato. Fruits are 3 inches across and 5 inches long.