PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Beefsteak VFN'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Beefsteak VFN

Fusarium Wilt (F)

Leaf Type:
Regular Leaf

Neutral Wulfsden On Apr 15, 2009, Wulfsden from Riverdale, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

Since I grow tomatoes only in pots, I usually avoid the largest breeds. However, two years ago I was given a healthy beefstake seedling and so I gave it a try. The plant grew fine in a 14" pot, and produced several tomatoes. Although the yield was very low, the fruit was humongous. Unfortunately, in my environ it took weeks for each fruit to ripen, possibly because I did not have enough foliage to supply the energy it needed. A fully grown fruit hanging on the vine is an invitation for trouble in my garden. When my chipmunk pals bite a cherry (and spit it out), its no problem, I have fifty more. But when you only have 4 or 5 softball sized fruit, and two get bitten, it is heartbreaking. I like the taste a lot, and would not hesitate to grow it if I had a good garden spot, but I cannot recommend this plant for pots.

Positive twomules On Aug 19, 2005, twomules from Portage, WI wrote:

Excellent Big tomato, a bit sloppy eating. Very productive and resistant to fungus. Some cracking near the stem.

Neutral Farmerdill On Apr 13, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1983 improved beefsteak said to average 17 ounces.

Palo Alto, California