Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Atkinson'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Atkinson

Bay City, Michigan

Raymond, Mississippi

Soddy Daisy, Tennessee

On Sep 1, 2012, tomatolarry from Dalton, GA wrote:

2012 is my first try with Atkinson and I have been very pleased with the two plants I have. So far, as of Sept. 1st, they have produced a total of 290 tomatoes and are still going strong. I have saved seeds and will replant next year. They are not spectacular in taste or size, but are able producers. Good canners and slicers.

On Aug 12, 2011, habaneros from Manitou, KY wrote:

Since I grow about 30 different varieties, this is not our favorite. We like because it is usually the first producer of fruit. And is good for canning. It is usually the first to stop producing fruit, also.

On Feb 24, 2011, luciee from Hanceville, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have been given to understand that this variety was created at Auburn Al. for the south. It holds up well here. I have grown this one since back in the 70's. We usually grow more than one kind, but I always come back to this one. It is sweet and low acid. I think it was created for high humidity regions.

On Apr 15, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1966 round red from Auburn University. Fruits average 12 ounces. Originally a green wrap shipper now a home garden cultivar.