Flame Honeysuckle
Lonicera x heckrottii 'Pink Lemonade'

Family: Caprifoliaceae (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info) (cap-ree-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lonicera (luh-NIS-er-a) (Info)
Species: x heckrottii

Haymarket, Virginia

Bryn Mawr-skyway, Washington

Spokane, Washington

On Oct 23, 2013, realityfaery from Delano, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I bought a small plant at Home Depot this last summer and wish I would have bought another! I have always loved honeysuckles, they remind me of my great-grandmother, she had the prettiest vines covering the fence all around their front yard. A few years ago, we had planted one in a corner of our yard and I loved it, but unfortunately, a rumbuctious puppy first dug it up. Then a few family members accidently trampled it.

Since then I have wanted to get another to replace it, so while on a shopping trip to Home Depot I seen the pretty pink blooms of this honeysuckle and just had to have it. The previous poster is right, the Pink Lemonade gets fried in direct sun, but loves the bright shade. I have it on the front patio in shade and have gotten two very long branches starting ... read more

On Jun 22, 2013, leite14 from Fairfax, VA wrote:

Our two vines are growing on our chain link chicken coop fence. These vines leave our chicken yard AND the rest of our property with an amazing fragrance every evening. Our chickens roam a half acre and are fairly pampered so we don't have any chickie smell anyway. It leaves a great impression when folks come to visit, expecting chicken farm odor, but instead smell the sweet summer perfume of this beautiful plant. It took a few years to establish but in its third year took off. It has filled in the ugly chain link fence and we plan on trying to start more from cuttings. I want it everywhere! The best treat is watching the hummingbird visits every day at dusk.

On Apr 19, 2012, SeattleSun from Seattle, WA wrote:

The smell makes me absolutely swoon. My favorite scented plant in my garden. Handles shearing back with a hedge trimmer (to keep behaved) quite well.

On Sep 4, 2007, carrielamont from Milton, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This lovely honeysuckle has dramatic pink/red berries now - early September. We bought it on eBay.

On Aug 29, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

Just one look--that's all it took--of Ocimum_nate's beautiful picture of the pinkest honeysuckle I've ever seen! That's what started me on a Google search for sources for 'Pink Lemonade.' But alas, all I found was confusion.

Every picture I found on plant sellers' websites looked different, and none of the pictures were as pink as this picture--not even close. Worse, even university botanical sites said 'Pink Lemonade' was just a variant name for 'Gold Flame,' and perhaps even 'Mardi Gras.' Well, I've grown 'Gold Flame' and it is not the same as this pink. The 'Gold Flame' flowers are tri-colored: kind of a pale pink with a washed out purple, and a pale yellow--pretty in mass, but nothing like the bright, distinct two-toned pink in this picture. I've never seen 'Mard... read more

On Jun 24, 2003, thebutcherswife from Tallmadge, OH wrote:

Hmmmm...my nursery tag said part sun to shade. I think this fragrant favorite of butterflies would find that it fries in full sun. I planted it at the northwest corner of my house right next to a wooden arbor over a stone path and my 2nd floor deck post! It gets plenty of light without direct harsh sun to singe its prolific blooms, and sitting on the porch swing with coffee, I struggle between sniffing my Hazelnut gourmet roast or the sweet blossoms. Since late May it has gained over 3 feet and 11 new branches seeking anchors. Too much water fades the pink; too much sun damages the leaves and burns the buds.