PlantFiles: Blue Hibiscus, Lilac Hibiscus, Purple Hibiscus, California Hibiscus
Alyogyne huegelii

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Alyogyne (al-ly-oh-GY-nee) (Info)
Species: huegelii (hew-GEL-ee-eye) (Info)

Synonym:Hibiscus huegelii

Thumbnail #5 of Alyogyne huegelii by Clare_CA

Thumbnail #6 of Alyogyne huegelii by Clare_CA

By RichSwanner
Thumbnail #7 of Alyogyne huegelii by RichSwanner

Positive nathanieledison On May 21, 2013, nathanieledison from Santa Rosa, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Incredible rarity for a California native. I found one at Kings Nursery here in Santa Rosa and snatched it up ad soon as I could. As was stated, deer LOVE them and will munch down as much of it as they can. Part shade here in the toasty summer climate.

Positive vossner On Jan 30, 2011, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

My first plant died promptly, don't really know what happened. Could have been too young a plant to survive our 2009-2010 winter, which was colder than usual. My second plant is doing great. Planted inground, part sun, has survived 2010-2011 winter. I plan to trim it in early spring to promote bushiness. Beautiful, beautiful plant. Not too easy to find in our area so grab it if you see it.

Neutral fdv On Mar 3, 2010, fdv from La Jolla, CA wrote:

We just bought this plant and the flowers are lovely however at least half of the leaves are yellow and are falling off. Any idea why? I would love advice because I really like this plant.

Positive stonetta On Jun 22, 2009, stonetta from Ceglie Messapica (BR)
Italy (Zone 10a) wrote:

I have been growing it in a foggy neighborhood of San Francisco, with sandy soil. The flowers are beautiful and it blooms off and on throughout the year. Right now, June 21st, it is covered in flowers and buds.

I occasionally add some Bay Area Forest Mulch Plus around the base and water it regularly. There was a bit of an aphid problem a couple of weeks ago, but I sprayed once with Safer Insecticidal soap and all seems ok now.

Positive tmccullo On Mar 25, 2007, tmccullo from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a very hardy and beautiful plant. We bought ours last summer and live in Houston, Texas. It doesn't really care for our extremely hot August and September afternoons, but loves the Spring and Winter. It made it through the coldest winter I remember in Houston in many years. We had two days of 25 degree weather. This plant didn't so much as lose a leaf. It is loaded with blooms now in March.

Positive pforrester On Mar 12, 2007, pforrester from Fallbrook, CA wrote:

This is one hardy plant and beautiful. I planted it last spring '06 and had to move it, then move it again into a pot and finally plant it where it has been since late summer. But it has been blooming continuously since the fall and even bloomed on through a pretty hard freeze here in Southern California, completely unfazed. 10b. It rarely freezes at our house but we had a 1/2 inch of hard ice on our pond and birdbath.

Positive hanna1 On Mar 14, 2005, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I would like to plant more, the blooms remind me of a wirlywig, just beautiful

Positive Happenstance On May 19, 2004, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Great native plant, little water once established, prune aggressively for a dense flower laden specimen. Deer love these so plant accordingly!

Positive SherryCA On Feb 3, 2003, SherryCA wrote:

I have two of these beauties planted out by the pool. I purchased them last fall and I have had almost continuous bloom, even thru the winter ! Can't wait to see how they do during our hot summer months here in CA.

Positive Roselaine On Jan 25, 2003, Roselaine from North Vancouver, BC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I grew this shrub once...what a treasure...the exquisite blue colour of the bloom...a most unusual plant, that in some circumstances it blooms and others, very slow to put out! I am currently looking for another! good for greenhouse specimen and in the summer, outside! Elaine

Neutral Lilith On May 11, 2002, Lilith from Durham
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

Alyogyne is closely related to (and formerly classified in) the genus Hibiscus.

El Mirage, Arizona