Saltcedar, Salt Cedar, Five-stamen Tamarix, Tamarisk
Tamarix ramosissima 'Pink Cascade'

Family: Tamaricaceae
Genus: Tamarix (TAM-uh-riks) (Info)
Species: ramosissima (ram-oh-SIS-ee-muh) (Info)
Cultivar: Pink Cascade

Klamath Falls, Oregon

Kintnersville, Pennsylvania

Fircrest, Washington

On Apr 25, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is one of the most destructively invasive plants in North America west of the Mississippi, especially in the southwest. It is also a problem on the Atlantic coast of some southeastern states. It doesn't seem to be a problem in the northeastern US.

The foliage is feathery and graceful. The winter appearance is scraggly.

As an ornamental, it's best cut back hard annually like a buddleia---regrowth is fast and vigorous, and bloom occurs on new growth. It sometimes needs staking for support, as the root system often isn't strong enough mechanically to hold the top growth upright.

On Apr 24, 2014, j3maloney from Elsmere, DE wrote:

I have one plant of 'Pink Cascade' and it has behaved itself for six years. I prune it almost to the ground every year and get a beautiful spray of misty green early and then a spectacular cloud of pink in the summer. I have counted at least twenty different bees and wasps as well as several butterflies sipping nectar from the flowers. While it may not provide food for insect larvae, it certainly is a good nectar source. I planted it in an 'island' garden bed and have not seen any escapees, so I'm assuming it is not prone to invasiveness here in Delaware. I have not noticed any of the surrounding plants suffering from Tamarix stealing water. Since others have warned of invasiveness, I'm keeping a keen eye on this one, but I'd hate to give it up.

On Aug 21, 2008, isom from Mission BC
Canada (Zone 8b) wrote:

Yes, tamarix can be invasive & is a weed tree, supplanting other valuable native species & hogging water supplies. In such places, tamarix should NOT be used. By checking what the invasive, noxious, & weed plants are for your area, you can decide to use or not.

But in our area, tamarix are NOT invasive & water (rainfall) is one thing we have in plenty, living on the edge of a temperate rainforest. I've seen a few tamarix here only & most people don't seem to appreciate them or prune them for the best effect. Very few grow here really.

A smaller, shrub version like 'Pink Cascade' would be ideal. I'm redoing my gardens since we now own our own place & the yard needs to be managed nicely. We have to cope with wild Himalayan blackberries (very nasty) & wild mornin... read more

On Nov 17, 2007, guntermann from Oregon City, OR wrote:

This plant is listed on many invasive species lists and has proven to be extremely detrimental to western USA riparian areas. The plant agressively uses up water reserves and further causes desertification. There are active quarantines across many states. Named cultivars may not be exempt from these regulations. Responsible gardeners subscribe to the Voluntary Code of Conduct and the St. Louis Accords.

From the ISSG Global 100 Invasive List

"Tamarix ramosissima is a deciduous shrub and can appear as a small tree that can grow in many different substrates. It can be found where its roots reach the water table, such as floodplains, along irrigation ditches and on lake shores and it can tolerate a wide range of saline or alkaline soils. This species can repl... read more

On Apr 1, 2007, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

This plant is listed on the North Dakota invasive/troublesome list and this information is being distributed in a guide developed by the ND Weed Control Association and other agencies.

Plant Features
Perennial, up to 30 feet tall
Evergreen/cedar-like shrub or small tree
Loses all of it's leaves in the fall
Leaves soft, scale-like, turn yellow/reddish before dropping in late fall
Bark is scaly and reddish on older plants, smooth and reddish on younger plants
Large stout taproot with a slender upright or branched trunk
Flowers abundant, white to pink, 5 petals, located on the ends of branches
Blooms May through September
Spreads by plant fragments and pepper size/like seed

Distribution:... read more