Bugle, Bugleweed, Carpet Bugle 'Burgundy Glow'

Ajuga reptans

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ajuga (a-JOO-guh) (Info)
Species: reptans (REP-tanz) (Info)
Cultivar: Burgundy Glow
Additional cultivar information:(aka Burgundy Lace)

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Medium Blue

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Citrus Heights, California

Levittown, New York

Bucyrus, Ohio

Columbus, Ohio

Delaware, Ohio

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (2 reports)

Allentown, Pennsylvania

Charleston, West Virginia

Appleton, Wisconsin

Spooner, Wisconsin

On May 3, 2013, Cajun2 from (Carole) Cleveland, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This was one of the sweet surprises in my garden in Benbrook, Texas (near D/FW). Grew one in afternoon shade, and one in full sun. Both grew well and multiplied, but the one in full sun seemed to do best. I was very impressed with this one and vowed to have it in every garden now.

On Apr 11, 2013, pucethumb from Queenstown, MD wrote:

We are located on Maryland's Eastern Shore. We are new to this area so I researched plants that could survive both drought and flood, and would be deer resistant.

Over the past two years, we have amended the soil and planted 250 ajuga plants. For the most part they did very well until this spring.

Of the 250 plants that were there last fall, I counted 12 remaining plants this spring. HELP! Any advice is most welcome. What could the problem be, and is there anything I can do now?

Thank you.

On May 31, 2011, FrostyNYC from Long Island
United States wrote:

I purchased several small plugs of this plant in July 2010 in zone 7. Planted in morning sun in fertile soil, each plug has spread to a 12"x12" radius and spreading faster now that it's well rooted. New growth is a bright purple/mauve which fades to a variegated green/cream/purple as the summer progresses. It sends up vertical stalks with periwinkle flowers which last for about two weeks in this climate. It roots easily and aggressively along its horizontal reaching stems, and has been fairly indestructible in a bed shared with astilbe, hostas, and ferns.

On Sep 13, 2009, mslehv from Columbus, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is an extremely rapid grower in partial sun and provides an attractive, dense ground cover. It's also capable of invasiveness by direct encroachment on other ground covers. This summer, during a period of extreme dampness and absent sun, a superficial "leaf rot" destroyed half of two beds of the plant. However, after carefully removing the rotted foliage, enough of the roots survived so that with return of normal conditions there was a complete and rapid regrowth.

On Jun 6, 2009, wholestory from Dallas, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I live in Dallas. We planted about 100 of these Ajuga's in early April, a week after our last freeze. The days are regularly in the low 90's now (June), and the ajuga still looks great and has gone from being 2" in diameter to about 5+". Even in areas that get direct sun from about 5-6pm (otherwise they're in all day bright shade). The lamium, on the other hand is withering away in the couple spots where it gets direct sun. Plus, the snails seem more attracted to the lamium than the ajuga.

We planted in 90% clay/ 10% loam, 7.3 pH, though added a 1/2" layer of humus and kind of worked it into the soil 6" (which helped aerate the soil). The soil is smothered in roots from the oaks, elms, and red tip photinias. The sprinklers have been going off for 20 min., 2 or 3 times... read more

On Jun 29, 2007, Bevs_garden from Tustin, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This grows surprisingly well in light shade all day. Tends to be attractive to slugs, but otherwise pest-free. Easy to propagate by cuttings. I've used it as an edging along walks and found it's slow growing enough that I'm not constantly trimming it.

On Jun 3, 2007, PhilsFlowers from Ocean Park, Surrey, BC (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have had nothing but good experience with this plant. At this time of year it is cream, green and pink but once the weather cools it will darken its colors to bronzes and burgundys. I like the flowers too, as do the butterflies and moths. Have not had hummingbirds this year but they are supposed to be attracted to the flowers too.

Mine is in a garden bed in my back yard that faces south. It receives full sun for most of the day and this bed gets watered about every two weeks when Mother Nature is goofing off. The soil is very loose and quick draining as it is difficult to amend it when there are so many plants. We keep saying that in the fall we are going to spread aged cow manure around each plant but have yet to do it. Therefore, these plants live on a drop of wat... read more

On Jun 6, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is one of my favorite Ajugas. The colors in the foliage blend beautifully with just about any plant combination. It spreads quickly as most Ajugas do. The problem is that it does not come up true from seed, so you have to either deadhead quickly or weed constantly. Blooms in May in my garden.

On Oct 30, 2004, Kim_M from Hamburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Love it!

On Oct 18, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have this cultivar mixed with the bronze beauty ajuga all over my hillside gardens. I find that it is aggressive enough to help keep the weeds down throughout my lilies and in troublesome areas. It seems to do equally well here (zone 5) whether the soil is moist or dry. I also have some that "volunteered" to an area that sometimes has sitting water, in full sun, and it has increased dramatically. It also transplants with minimum care and will root itself in just mulch if you happen to drop a bit of it.

It seems to stand up to foot (and knee) traffic when I'm spending time in the garden weeding. After the bluish-purple flowers die back in late spring the whole plant becomes inconspicuous but continues to help control the weed population. I'm very pleased with it and a... read more

On Sep 28, 2004, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant is grown primarily for its foliage instead of its flowers. pokerboy.

On Jun 15, 2004, booknut from Clarksville, MD wrote:

I use this plant on the east side of the house foundation. It saves me from mulching under my azaleas, but does not interfere with their growth. At the end of winter the bed looked less than hearty,but became robust with the advent of spring's warm weather. This ground cover has a spectacular blue bloom period at azalea bloom time. I do fertilize it with 20/20/20 liquid 2to 3 times and it responds with continued bloom, but not to the extent of the first flush in spring.

On Jan 30, 2004, bedix wrote:

In soil that is slightly alkaline and too heavy, this plant will not do well at all. Even when I have reworked the soil by adding amendments to improve its texture, this plant does not do well. It could be that I need to lower the soil pH toward a more neutral reading to ensure good plant growth. I'm located in Northern California and very close to the ocean.

On Aug 4, 2003, Ladyfern from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

Not nearly as invasive as "Bronze Beauty", but neither do the flowers stand out as much. It seems to need well-drained soil, while the aggressive ones can take solid clay. So it's more fussy to grow, but looks lovely year round and won't take over.

On Jan 5, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This cultivar seems to be much less forgiving of harsh conditions than the species; I have lost it twice in dry spells. I lost it again in overly alkaline soil conditions. Another clump was lost when in standing water for a week.

On Aug 31, 2002, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I got some starts of this variety this spring, and they're filling in nicely - the colors are a nice complement to the standard Ajuga (which I'm also using in the same area.)

2003 Update: this variety, planted side-by-side with the "regular" Ajuga didn't make it through the winter here in zone 6b/7a.

On Aug 31, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Ajuga reptans 'Burgundy Glow' has a bright blue bloom in late spring. When planted in a container, it drapes nicely over the sides. This plant is evergreen in milder climates.

On Jul 30, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Wonderful as a groundcover. It died over the winter here in OK, though. Bought another one in spring '04 and will see if planting it in another spot will help.