Beefsteak Plant 'Atropurpurea'

Perilla frutescens

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Perilla (per-IL-uh) (Info)
Species: frutescens (froo-TESS-enz) (Info)
Cultivar: Atropurpurea

Not Applicable

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Tuskegee, Alabama

Denton, Texas

Desoto, Texas

Petersburg, Virginia

On Apr 1, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I used to be partial to the purple-leaf strain, but after growing it once in pots I found it turned into a persistent annual weed. After more than a decade, I'm still weeding it out of the beds. It's very aggressive and outcompetes many perennials.

A pretty plant, but there are far too many other pretty plants that are less work. I'll never plant this again deliberately in any garden.

Coleus makes an excellent substitute, unless you want to eat it.

This species is highly toxic to many animals, including horses, cattle, goats, rats, mice, and hamsters. It is responsible for fatal livestock poisonings when it invades pasturage.

This plant's invasive behavior has alarmed many organizations concerned with preserving natural areas, inc... read more

On Mar 31, 2014, kydrummer from Silver Spring, MD wrote:

I have been spraying Roundup, mowing, doing whatever I can to get this out of the horse pastures. Left alone, it will completely take over, shading out the grass. Luckily the horses won't eat it. I will not buy anything from any nursery that sells it.
Correction: I use a pasture safe herbicide with no grazing restrictions.

On Mar 31, 2014, mcig123 from Woodstock, MD wrote:

I live in the Baltimore Maryland metro area and wanted to let anyone living in Maryland know that this plant is on the Invasive Plant list put out by the National Park Service and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Matter of fact, it is listed as very bad because once it is established it disrupts native ecosystems by pushing out native plants. This can be very harmful especially to animals which forage on the native plants as it eliminates their food sources.

If you already have this plant growing in your yard or flower beds please consider eradicating it and planting a substitute such as Bee Balm or Mountain mint.

On Jul 18, 2011, barbiefish from Petersburg, VA wrote:

wendymadre, thought I'd add this since I too live in Petersburg, VA -- we planted one perilla plant about 10 years ago and it has spread to and regularly reseeds in many parts of our yard (over an acre). It's also moved, by itself, down the street. Perilla grows equally well in full shade and all-day sun. I love it so it's a positive, but it is VERY invasive as you will no doubt find as it spreads out each year . . . .

On May 3, 2010, wendymadre from Petersburg, VA wrote:

This plant grows vigorously and attractively in my Zone 7a garden, in Petersburg Virginia. I was given a six pack last May by a friend, and I let the three plants that survived my laxadaisical treatment, and that flourished through to the autumn, continue to stand over the winter: the dried forms looked ornamental. This spring I have hundreds of tiny little perillas coming up in that particular area (nowhere else in the garden, so they apparently don't travel far). They resemble tiny purple basil. I am going to transfer some of them to several other areas of the garden that are very, very green, and can benefit from the purplish leaves. I'll dig some others up to give away or trade. If its fertility becomes a problem, I'll update my note.

On Nov 24, 2009, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant appears somewhere in my garden most years. I do not let it go to seed as it can be quite aggressive. Our state asks people not to grow it.

On Oct 8, 2009, thizzwald from Redmond, WA wrote:

!!!WARNING!!! This Plant is Extremely Toxic to rabbits or other small rodent/pets I fed a small amount to my rabbits and within hours they were both dead!!!!

On Apr 28, 2009, Stargell from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I have a plant called Cryptotaenia japonica atropurpurea that looks very similar. Common name is japanese parsley I believe. It seems to be a perennial (in Pittsburgh PA) and is an aggressive spreader. It's supposed to be edible. Is it the same plant?

On Apr 27, 2009, dplooster from Leavenworth, KS wrote:

This lovely little plant came up on its own in a shade garden beneath our front maple and quickly filled in a spot that had previously stubbornly remained bare. Seems very happy in the shade, believe it's probably a bit more contained there than in full sun. Prolific, but easily managed.

On Jun 23, 2007, KyWoods from Melbourne, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Extremely invasive here, but so pretty! I'd be happy if I could remove them from everywhere they shouldn't be, and just save seeds to sow in one place. There are so many, though, it'd be an overwhelming task. Don't let them reseed freely!

On Apr 30, 2007, cbarthell2 from Austin, TX wrote:

My sister gave me a pot of this a few years ago and since then I've always had a new crop because it self seeds. Summers here are extremely hot and it does well even in full sun, although it would probably be a little happier with afternoon part sun rather than full.

On Jul 4, 2004, crimsontsavo from Crossville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Baa I'D this plant for me when my dog ate several of the leaves. Was very worried about him getting ill til I read comments about people eating it's leaves?

Overall we have had this plant for many years and love it. You don't have a garden unless you have Perilla. Lovely plant that adds not only color but a pungent scent to the garden when brushed or during a very hot day.Looks as though you could use it to dye fabrics purple. I rubbed some cloth with it and it is a nice shade of pruple.
Who knows what all you can use Perilla for. :-)

On Aug 7, 2003, kmcdole from Fremont, CA wrote:

My wife and I have been growing and eating the green beefsteak plant for years, the leaves are the Japanese equivilent to basil. I like it very much, and have used it in sandwiches in place of lettuce. we grew the red leaved beefsteak one year, had very little flavor, just contributed a nice color to dishes. If you have eaten sushi, you most likely have tasted it.

On Jul 7, 2003, nipajo from Dallas, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

They are invasive, but they fill up a garden nicely. when you have a bare spot, just add one and next year you will have twenty. they are like coleus in that they bloom like the coleus.

On May 31, 2003, maguire5700 from Ronkonkoma, NY wrote:

This plant looks beautiful in the garden and grows well in sun or shade. However, it self seeds and every years multiplies like crazy. I now have to weed them out by the hundreds. No exaggeration.

On Jan 27, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Although perilla has been used as a food crop, it is currently regarded as unsafe.