Blue Potato Bush, Paraguay Nightshade, Blue Lycianthes
Lycianthes rantonnei

Genus: Lycianthes (lish-ee-AN-theez) (Info)
Species: rantonnei
Synonym:Solanum coniculatum
Synonym:Solanum muticum
Synonym:Solanum rantonetii
Synonym:Solanum rantonnei
Synonym:Lycianthes rantonetii

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Blue-Violet

Manvel, Texas

Bellevue, Washington

Shelton, Washington

On Apr 22, 2014, victoria07 from Pawleys Island, SC wrote:

I found this plant was available in CT when we lived there. We have since moved to SC and I have not been able to find it and the nursery here have never heard of it. Any idea where I can buy one? They are hard to describe but I remember them as a vibrant purple/blue.

Victoria

On Jun 8, 2011, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Loved this plant!! Found it at Home Depot in 2010 and bought it. I stuck it in a huge pot out in my yard and it grew great.. full sun and of course watered when dry.. when winter came I brought it in to over winter but due to not having enough light it passed away. If I can find this plant this year I have solved that problem with over wintering any outdoor plant. So far no luck.

On Jan 22, 2011, Fortuna from Gilroy, CA wrote:

I planted my potatoe shrub 14 years ago. I live in Gilroy, Ca. and I get a good frost every year. The shrub has grown to over 10 feet tall and just as wide! It bloomes from March to December. Each winter it looses most of its leaves but not all. Today I took a big step and cut it back to 3 feet tall. It was very large and it shaded my vegetable garden during the summer. I feel bad because the humming birds and the robins love it and nested in it each year. The big bumble bees also love it! But... it will grow back; it always has, and I have other trees for them to nest in. My English pointer chews on the wood from the shrub. He loves it and he has never been sick from it. My neighbor has been trying to get hers to grow as big as mine. But she has not been successful. It must be a different... read more

On Oct 16, 2010, Beelover from Santa Cruz, CA wrote:

I live in Santa Cruz CA Zone 9 and have very well established blue potato shrubs. I have to constantly cut them back because they get higher than my one story home.They pretty much stay put, unlike the Passion Vine which plants itself everywhere. I don't bother to water them so if they like water they must be getting it from the watering of other things in the garden. When not by my house I don't clip them and the birds sit on them and also come and take off the size of stick they need for their nests which means they can get material for their nests without having to go to the ground where cats can get them. The birds and hummingbirds love them and find something edible about the flowers. It is definitely a shrub for wildlife and wildlife lovers. I have them in front of windows on the w... read more

On May 20, 2010, magicmistic from Mentone, CA wrote:

I agree with nunquam in Davis. This bush grows out of control here in Southern California. I'm planning to hack it into submission sometime soon. Is there a right or wrong time to prune, since this one is blooming constantly here?

On Dec 21, 2009, artbytes from San Diego, CA wrote:

Planted in June. Having problems. The leaves turn yellow and fall off the branches. I'm having a hard time deciding if they are getting too much water or too little water - or what the problem is. They just get worse and worse. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a plants reaction to too little water or too much water? Thanks.

On Apr 10, 2007, mariner from Casa Grande, AZ wrote:

I put this bush in my landscape two years ago and it was very leggy and sparse the first year. Last winter we had two weeks of very cold weather which nipped it back to a stump and this seems to be just what it needed. In the last month it has shot up quickly and has several blooms, although these are only around the bottom six inches of the bush. I read a note that said that it is poisonous, but that doesn't keep the rabbits from chowing down.

On Mar 5, 2005, Dondi from Ceres, CA wrote:

I am looking to relocate my potato bush and was wondering if anyone had done this and had success

On Oct 3, 2004, xoxokristinoxox from Fort Wayne, IN wrote:

Just bought the "bush." However, mine has been trimmed to resemble a tree. Is not in bloom, but I got it for only $5 at Lowe's on discount. Since I am in zone 5, I am confident it will not survive outside. I was planning on having it as an indoor plant. Will this work?

On Apr 8, 2004, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I was visiting a friend and saw the most amazing specimen of this rather ordinary plant. Looks like it has actually grown into a substantial tree! I will try to take a picture of it next time I'm in the area. Imagine it must be at least several decades old, this suburb is only about 40 or 50 yrs old at most. It had very handsome, rugged dark bark and was in full bloom, in a sunny site in San Pablo (Northern CA, East Bay/San Francisco Bay Area), CA.

On Feb 10, 2003, nunquam from Davis, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

The brilliant purple-ish flowers are lovely and very eye-catching. Blooms almost year-round, though only a smattering of flowers during the coldest months of the year (zone 9b).

When considering this plant for the garden, keep in mind that once established outside, it grows remarkably quickly during spring-summer-fall and can become unruly in no time at all. You will need to be aggressive with pruning. Growth stalls immediately after first cold snap and restarts as days get warmer. Mine has attracted clouds of tiny, white, aphid-like insects in summer months.

On Aug 31, 2002, JJsgarden from Northern Piedmont, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

The Blue Potato Bush has performed excellent for me this year as a container grown plant.. It has bloomed continuously from spring thru summer with dozens of beautiful blooms. Since it is not supposedly winter hardy in my USDA zone 7, I will over-winter it inside.

On Aug 26, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Prefers full sun. Grows quickly. In severe cold leaves drop and branch tips may die back. Prune to keep neat. Can be used in tailored landscape areas.

On May 16, 2002, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

This tropical shrub can be grown as a large container speciman. In summer and autumn it bears clusters of 1-inch dark blue to violet-purple flowers with yellow centers. Winter in a cool location and leave almost dry. In late March bring into brighter light and begin to water at regular intervals.

This is a member of the nightshade family and all parts of the plant are toxic. Flowers are followed by red berries so beware of small children that may be tempted to taste them.