PlantFiles: Blue Mist Spiraea, Bluebeard
Caryopteris x clandonensis 'Dark Knight'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Caryopteris (kar-ee-OP-ter-iss) (Info)
Species: x clandonensis (klan-don-EN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Dark Knight

Dark Blue

By simple layering

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

By KMAC

By Xenomorf
Thumbnail #6 of Caryopteris x clandonensis by Xenomorf

By Xenomorf
Thumbnail #7 of Caryopteris x clandonensis by Xenomorf

Positive virginiarose On Nov 7, 2014, virginiarose from Southeast, VA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Mine got big and floppy, probably because I did not hard prune it in the spring. I sure will next year, this is a nice little shrub but needs some pruning through the growing season to keep a tidy shape, that is if you can get the bees off it long enough to do that. Bees love this plant!

Positive joimack6953 On Feb 3, 2014, joimack6953 from Wheat Ridge, CO wrote:

I hard prune this back late winter or early spring; about 1/3 of the plant; and it blooms beautifully every year. So many bees gather on this plant that I can hear the buzzing when I walk through the garden. It spreads from seed and grows fairly quickly.

Neutral SoNJgarden On Sep 24, 2012, SoNJgarden wrote:

2-yr old plant was hit hard by mildew in July-August. Most leaves fell off- just now starting to make new ones. No blooms this year. Will try hard pruning eary spring 2013. South NJ area.

Positive NoLawns On Aug 26, 2011, NoLawns from Warrenville, IL wrote:

This blue mist shrub needs to be cut down in spring. (4-6 inches) If it is cut back in fall it will die. Also, some dry leaves around the base of the plant in winter will help overwintering success. This plant has grown for many years in Zone 5 (Chicago IL)

Positive xeriman On Sep 22, 2010, xeriman from Farmington, NM wrote:

This shrub has been doing quite well in a few xeric gardens here in northwestern New Mexico (USDA zone 6B or Sunset zone 3A). It is a valuable addition to the gardens because of its late summer blue flowers. Does well in full sun with about 3 to 5 gallons of water (per plant) per week. Not sure of the cultivar. I'm assuming 'Dark Knight'.

Positive Kellysbiz On Sep 6, 2010, Kellysbiz from Mission Viejo, CA wrote:

I bought this gorgeous plant at a local nursery but unfrotuantely it was rootbound to the point of no saving. Once the flowerettes started going to seed they were dying. So I took it back and got another one today. Anyone familiar with Monrovia plants, they tend to be exceptionally rootbound mainly with their five gallon plants. They say their problem with them is solved but I just got this and it isn't. Anyway, I love this plant. I have a blue and white garden area (with a few other colors too that need to be moved) and blue is so hard to find for zone 9. Everyone tends to call some purple colors blue. I completely took apart the roots on this one and then soaked it. Hope it makes it. I'm in Southern California and it's supposed to do well with our heat spells here. Not as bad as Texas but hot for us in the 90's. Plus I'm on the hunt for summer blooming plants for this zone. My garden looks baren from mid-summer to February, yuk. Anyone know any other blue plants that grow here?

Positive jenwaterston On Aug 14, 2010, jenwaterston from Havertown, PA wrote:

This plant comes into bloom (in my Philadelphia-area) garden during mid-August, when many other plants are fading. It's a beautiful blue color and makes a nice specimen plant. I find saplings of this plant all over my full-sun garden -- I've given away and discarded the babies. Seems to thrive in well-drained, full sun conditions.

Neutral karenathurston On May 27, 2009, karenathurston from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

I live in Philadelphia, PA (zone 6a) and planted a 'Longwood Blue' 2 years ago. It flowered the first year but there were no flowers at all last year. The foliage is also not as dense as the majority of photographs I have come across. I have it in morning shade/ afternoon sun in a fairly dry area that I substitute water during the hotter summer months. I'm going to try fertilizing it this summer to see if that helps it improve - it's looking kind of scraggly.

Positive ILUVTX On Apr 19, 2008, ILUVTX from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

Here in Zone8a this plant grows great! It is very beautiful when it blooms in the summer and fall. All our neighbors comment how pretty it is! It is very tolerant of our Texas heat, humidity, and lack of rain in the warm months and does very well over the cooler winter months. I would recommend this plant to other gardeners in a similar climate.

Positive Marilynbeth On Nov 17, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

I love Caryopteris! I love the blue color of most of the varieties and recently saw that there is a soft pink color of a new variety this year.

Neutral gardenworksva On Oct 17, 2006, gardenworksva from Ruckersville, VA wrote:

Planted Dark Knight Spring '06 and having problems with the stems 'laying down' as well has becoming week and splitting off. Possibly it needs harder pruning early on. ?

Positive Leehallfae On Sep 15, 2006, Leehallfae from Seattle, WA wrote:

I like the True blue flowers. It is next to the Black Hollyhock and Star Gazer Lillies, and adds quite a bit of needed contrast.

Positive Julia_T On May 30, 2005, Julia_T from Northern, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I planted three in partial sun in zone 7a last spring. They flowered luxuriantly the same year -- put on a real show, plus the flowers have a delicious scent. The bumblebees agreed, but we didn't get any wasps. Ours have sapphire-blue flowers and soft gray-green foliage, on a mini tree-form habit. I've heard that they can spread quite a bit, so will update if that happens.

Neutral digwell On Aug 25, 2004, digwell from Shelburne, NS (Zone 6a) wrote:

Have just purchased caryopteris Dark Knight, and put it in a bed next to Pee Gee hydrangea. The combination of the Dark Knight blue flowers against the white of the hydrangea is a lovely fresh change from the usual reds and yellows of most late summer flowers.

Neutral MotherNature4 On May 13, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I just purchased Bluebeard 'Dark Knight' yesterday. Being a native Floridian, this was the first time I've ever heard of this lovely plant, so if anyone else from Florida has any growing suggestions, I'd appreciate any and all input. MotherNature4

Negative lupinelover On Jan 3, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Although it is supposed to be hardy to zone 4, this plant is not reliably hardy for me, possibly because of too much moisture in the winter dormant season. The flowers are welcome in the late summer and autumn, but I must replace it every 2-3 years.

Auburn, Alabama
Farmington, New Mexico
Poughkeepsie, New York
High Point, North Carolina
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Williamsburg, Ohio (2 reports)
Chiloquin, Oregon