Variegated Creeping Charlie, Variegated Gill-Over-the-Ground 'Variegata'

Glechoma hederacea

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Glechoma (gle-KOH-muh) (Info)
Species: hederacea (hed-er-AYE-see-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegata

Plano, Texas

Markham, Virginia

Bellevue, Washington

On Feb 21, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Seedlings revert to the species.

Connecticut has banned trading, transporting, or planting this species as a noxious weed and an invasive plant destructive to natural areas.

On Jul 3, 2013, mainamanda from Round Hill, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Invasive! Buyer beware!

On Mar 27, 2009, giftgas from Everson, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This grows just as quickly as the green variety - I love this plant.

On Nov 13, 2008, PeeperKeeper from Georgetown, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love this plant as either a ground cover or in mixed containers and hanging baskets. I've seen it called invasive, but I don't consider it that invasive since it's very easy to pull it out of an area where it isn't welcome due to the shallow root system. Perhaps an exception would be if it got started in thick grass.

It's easy to start from cuttings. I just lay a cutting on the soil and either place a small rock on it to keep it in contact with the soil until it takes off, or cover some of the nodes with a small amount of soil. I especially like to mix it with purple foliage plants such as ajuga, oxalis or heuchera.

On May 19, 2008, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

my dear DG buddy suggested that I get this plant. I have not been disappointed. I makes a great potted plant filler. I am presently trying to propagate it so I can add it to other pots and hanging baskets.

UPFDATE JULY 2013: Did not survive summer of 2011, have not seen it for salel since. Might get another one if I see it, and if so, will continue to grow it in a container.

On Mar 15, 2008, distantkin from Saint Cloud, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Creeping Charlie, ground ivy or gill-over-the-ground (Glechoma hederacea) is considered invasive by the Minnesota DNR
"Ecological Threat:

* It is not a threat to healthy native plant communities.
* Ground ivy grows best in semi-shaded to shaded moist soils and forms a dense mat, smothering other vegetation.
* It is a common urban garden weed and grows mostly in disturbed, degraded places.
* Ground ivy is found in most of the world of similar climate. It is known to have medicinal properties."

On Jun 28, 2004, jhyshark from Scottville, MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

This will cover the entire world in just a couple of seasons, but looks nice and is easy enough to rip out. I'm trying to decide how much to keep an how much to rip!

On May 17, 2003, KK wrote:

Beautiful scalloped green leaves with white edgings. Works great in pots but as ground cover it can become a pest as it can get into the lawn or where ever. Roots at joints, easy to propagate.

On May 17, 2002, penny4 from Salem, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

Lives in large containers year around, but foliage dies back in winter. Grows long hanging tendrils (up to 6 ft. or more in length) of green and ivory foliage and is great for hanging pots and containers. Tiny lavender blooms appear when plants first starts growing in spring, before it starts to grow downward as a hanging plant. Looks great with white blooming plants, and in most all hanging baskets.