White-stemmed Birch, Whitebarked Himalayan Birch

Betula utilis var. jacquemontii

Family: Betulaceae (beh-tyoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Betula (BET-yoo-luh) (Info)
Species: utilis var. jacquemontii
Synonym:Betula jacquemontii

Good Fall Color

Provides winter interest

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Juneau, Alaska

Eugene, Oregon

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Wayne, Pennsylvania

On Dec 3, 2013, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

It is another pretty white birch with bark that really is paper-like coming off the trunk in bigger sheets. It has large, bluish-green almost rounded leaves. I have seen some planted in southeast Pennsylvania. Philadelphia International Airport has some good-looking groups at the end of the airport train lines, that I have seen in 2010 thru 2014. A customer of mine had a full-grown, 25 ft specimen in Chesterbrook, PA. However, after two dry, hot summers, and she did not water it, the tree was killed by Bronze Birch Borer; a beetle that attacks stressed birch trees from heat and drought.

On Mar 20, 2007, trop7temps from Port Townsend, WA wrote:

I've had one on the north side of my house, in a bed of rhody's for about 6 years. It is beautiful. I have had no problems whatsoever and it is growing at a normal rate.

On Mar 16, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Betula utilis jacquemontii (Dec) (z5) (Bfly)
"One of the loveliest birches, with dazzling white stems"(Hillier) and attractively peeling bark; a medium-sized tree from Nepal related to Betula utilis. Sun/Med

On Aug 30, 2005, sylvainyang from Edmond, OK wrote:

All the reviews for the Jaquementii are pretty negative from what I read, said that not fit for landscaping because of the pest problems. I had one from Lowe's for half year now. It gorws good. Good wind resistant. The key is water it almost every day. My Jaquementii sarts to show white bark now.

This tree did not come up with a lot of leaves this spring, a lot of branches dried up. Can any body help? I do not see any bugs on it.

On May 17, 2002, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenes
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

This tree has one of the whitest trunks of all the birches, with attractive peeling bark.