Blue Mist Spiraea, Bluebeard
Caryopteris x clandonensis 'Longwood Blue'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Caryopteris (kar-ee-OP-ter-iss) (Info)
Species: x clandonensis (klan-don-EN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Longwood Blue

Blue-Violet

Blue-Green

Aromatic

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

This plant is resistant to deer

From hardwood cuttings

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By simple layering

Arlington, Virginia

Linden, Virginia

West Richland, Washington

On Jul 13, 2014, vinerowan from Acton, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

Incredible plant for the hillside of our backysrd. Careful as the seedlings can easily takeover the garden. Other post indicate that removal of the flower pods will minimize this. I'll be pulling up a lot of seedlings this growing season. Beautiful plant and as suggested the birds, bees and butterfly flock to it. Also great for preventing the hillside erosion. Drought tolerant and easily survived the icestorm, snowfall and the blizzard of last winter.

On Aug 26, 2013, cgoodloe from Clovis, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Ok, so I researched this baby as a highly drought tolerant plant that likes full sun. I live in Fresno County which is Zone 9 on USDA zone.

Great plan for part shade/part sun. Uses less water than many plants.

I love this plant but it doesn't like the hot sun. It burns to a crisp. Can't use it in my sunny focal points. I'll have to plant trees to put this baby in my front yard. It's currently among the blueberries in a part sun patio/back yard area. They handle transplanting well. If it's already in the ground and you want to move it, make sure you take the dirt with the roots on the shovel and put it in the ground as is to ease any shock it might get. It likes to wilt when it's stressed or needs water. Comes right back though. Too much water can cause root... read more

On Aug 4, 2013, TheVirtualWriter from DeKalb, IL wrote:

I planted two Blue Mist Spiraea this past August and holy smokes (maybe they should name one that), the plants are doing great but are spreading a bit more than I wanted. In fact, I have so many volunteers many from these two plants that I need to do some sorting out. Still, it is a hard plant not to love.

On Mar 11, 2013, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

As another comment from PA has noted, the blue spirea in my area (including mine) are thin and die back before summer is over. A few gardeners (including me) have cut them back to the ground to see what will become of them next year. Mine is in a rose garden with no lack of fertilizer and water. I suspect that the increasingly scorching heat here in PA is killing them.

On Jun 24, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

So very happy with this plant ! I love how it has filled in the large blank space between my salvia greggii furmans red . It looks beautiful ! The butterflies seem to love its flowers. in the afternoon heat it seems to move because it has so many butterflies on it . I also love the silvery color of the foliage . I purchased this on impulse just to fill in a space I had no idea it was going to be so beautiful and look like it was meant to be there the whole time !

On Sep 29, 2010, ttodell from Morehead City, NC wrote:

New plants can be started very easily from softwood cuttings.
Morehead City, NC

On May 27, 2009, karenathurston from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

I live in zone 6a and planted a 'Longwood Blue' 2 years ago. It flowered the first year but there were no flowers at all last year. The foliage is also not as dense as the majority of photographs I have come across. It gets full sun from noontime until sunset in a fairly dry area that I substitute water during the hotter summer months. I'm going to try fertilizing it this summer to see if that helps it improve - it's looking kind of scraggly.

On Apr 27, 2009, leelynne from Dover, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have 3 of these shrubs and I love them. I got them last year and they sprang up so fast I couldn't believe it. This year I bought a new home and just had to take my chances in transplanting them. So far they are doing well. Since I transplanted them they've actually gotten more leaves on them. I did prune them after I transplanted them since I heard that it's best to prune in the spring to encourage blooming.

On Jan 15, 2009, catcollins from West Friendship, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted a Longwood Blue in middle of the backyard and a Worchester Gold out front by the street. I have lots of "volunteers" popping up, but only in the front yard for some reason, and only along the driveway. These do seem to be a cross, paler leaves then Longwood, but also with the "blue" tinge. Very pretty. I've tried to transplant these volunteers without success - too much gravel to extract them from. These little guys bloom their first fall and do their part to attract honey bees and butterflies by the hundreds. I do wish they would pick better spots to take up house....

I cut mine back in winter to encourage fuller growth.

On Mar 17, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Caryopteris clandonensis 'Longwood Blue' BLUE MIST SHRUB Dec (z5) (Cut,Hon,Bfly)
Chosen at Longwood Gardens in PA for its heavy crop of heavenly-blue flowers & silver foliage on tidy upright pls, 18-24"tall; provides a bright splash of l.summer blue for border, foundation, or low hedge. Sun/Med