Cyclamen Leaved Violet 'Sylettas'

Viola grypoceras var. exilis

Family: Violaceae (vy-oh-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Viola (vy-OH-la) (Info)
Species: grypoceras var. exilis

Port Matilda, Pennsylvania

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Black Creek, Wisconsin

On Apr 26, 2011, Erutuon from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

I bought this at the Friends School Plant Sale and planted it in a semi-shade, somewhat dry location. It bloomed and set a little seed last year. This spring it's late to come up. Hopefully it will bloom a lot more this year and seed itself around.

On May 27, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This is much smaller than most other violet species - reseed best in exposed locations in shade - best in shade rock garden or minature gardens in shade. The species are spinning my head - This may be the new name - Viola coreana. Have tiny flowers that are almost insignificant compare to the foliages. Very uncommonly sold in the plant trade.

(at present it is syn Viola grypoceras v. exilis; older name just a few years ago and is still seen in varieties here on Dave's Garden - Viola koreana).

On Sep 24, 2005, kbaumle from Northwest, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I planted three of these in June of this year, and one of them appeared to have died, when all of a sudden there appeared tiny seedlings in the area of the 'dead' one. I have mine in mostly shade and it likes moist soil, but if it's too wet, it rots. Very pretty foliage!

On Jul 24, 2003, ClayDBo from Forsyth, MO wrote:

I have been very pleased with the performance of this plant. I use it as a groundcover in my shade garden and it is continually self-seeding(though not as invasively as regular sweet violets) so I am able to share and to plant up new areas. The leaves are the main attraction for me as the flowers are rather small.

On May 18, 2002, Baa wrote:

I've not long had this little gem and I've found some very conflicting descriptions in my resources. More information will be forthcoming when I have grown it a little while longer.

Has rounded, kidney shaped leaves with deep ribs of silver and purple, with purple undersides, which do look a bit like a Cyclamen. Has small violet flowers which appear in cool conditions. It produces many closed flowers(cleistogamous flowers) and after looking very closely I can confirm that. They still can produce viable seeds with or without petals. They self seed everywhere.

Flowers March-June

Likes a well drained soil in sun or partial shade. Can be grown indoors in a cool, well ventilated room.

Well worth growing just for the leaves.