PlantFiles: Lamium
Lamium garganicum

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lamium (LAY-mee-um) (Info)
Species: garganicum (gar-GAN-ee-kum) (Info)

Synonym:Lamium corsicum
Synonym:Lamium pictum
Synonym:Lamium striatum

Alpines and Rock Gardens

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Pale Pink

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Negative magpie38 On May 23, 2009, magpie38 from Houston, TX wrote:

Planted the variety 'Orchid Frost' in a full shade location in February, and they appeared to thrive for awhile. But come May, there is no sign of them. Possibly Houston is not the best place for them; I have rarely seen them in local nurseries, probably for good reason.

Positive outdoorlover On Apr 22, 2008, outdoorlover from Enid, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This ground cover grows well in deep shade, but it does not spread very fast. Could be because it gets very little extra water and no direct sunlight. It is beautiful and does not crowd out other plants.

Positive Maiaminna On Mar 27, 2006, Maiaminna from Geneva, NY wrote:

One of my favorite groundcovers. I've grown it in deep, dry shade on the north side of the house where it was the only thing besides cranesbill that survived, and I've also grown it on a sunny, south facing slope and it was happy there, too. It's carefree and spreads quickly, but it didn't harm the plants around it in my garden. The silvery leaves brighten up shady spots.

Positive Gindee77 On May 21, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a great plant for a shady nook in your perennial garden. It adds a bright spot in the shade. It's almost carefree too.

Positive devilishdebi On May 17, 2005, devilishdebi from Grand Rapids, MI wrote:

This plant does grow well under evergreen trees with partial sun. In 2004 Michigan had a fairly cool, rainy summer and I placed a few plants in full sun. It went nuts! It grew to about a foot in some spots and spread everywhere. It was beautiful but it also killed some of my other plants that were buried beneath the spread. I now have new plants sprouting in several areas this spring.

I have a couple of varieties - one has pink blossoms and the other has white. Also, one has more of a silver leaf and the other a varigated green.

Positive PattieK On Jul 18, 2003, PattieK from Detroit, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I recieved this plant as a gift and what a wonderful display it has given me this year. It does not like full sun but rather shade and slightly acid soil. I have it planted around the bases of my evergreen shurbs.
For propagation you can either divide plants in spring or take cuttings in the summer.
It with stood our hard Michigan winter just fine and here it is the middle of July and it is still in bloom!
I have the variegated leaves with the purple flowers.
Good Gardening to everyone
PattieK

Neutral Baa On May 18, 2002, Baa wrote:

Perennial, compact, mat forming plant from Southern Europe and Asia Minor.

Has, ovate, heart shaped, toothed, mid-green leaves. Bears typical tubular, dead nettle shaped, pale pink flowers marked with deep reddish purple.

Flowers April-June

Likes a sharply drained soil in full sun or partial shade. Dislikes winter wet.

Littleton, Colorado