Early, Large-flowered Clematis
Clematis 'Dr. Ruppel'

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clematis (KLEM-uh-tiss) (Info)
Cultivar: Dr. Ruppel
Additional cultivar information:(aka Doctor Ruppel)
Hybridized by Ruppel

No fragrance

Bloom Shape:

Single

Bloom Diameter:

Large - 5 to 8 inches (12 to 20 cm)

Pruning Groups:

Puyallup, Washington

Snohomish, Washington

Weirton, West Virginia

On Jun 23, 2013, asturnut from Anchorage, AK (Zone 4b) wrote:

'Dr. Ruppel' did very well in my morning shade, afternoon sun trellis along my carport in my southern New Jersey garden. They did need a fair amount of water and regular mulching to keep the roots cool. I also had to manually tie them to the trellis or they would mound around the base rather than climbing. It's important to keep tying them up because the vine won't fan out nicely on it's own. But I rarely fertilized them and they flowered fantastically for me.

On Jun 2, 2013, Cville_Gardener from Clarksville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is beautiful in my Middle TN garden! It takes some neglect with grace and produces gorgeous blooms. I highly recommend it for this area.

On May 23, 2013, saddledoc from Hillsboro, OR wrote:

I purchased a home with a Dr. Ruppel growing on a trellis in the garden. The first Spring I was disappointed with the flower production on the Clematis. Since this was my first Clematis I consulted a friend who suggested trimming in the following February. The vine produced a huge array of large single blooms that Spring. This year the Dr. Ruppel is producing a large number of blossoms but there are some single, some double, and some triple blooms. Is this unusual?

On May 4, 2013, SunnyMD from Pasadena, MD wrote:

I have 2 of these. I manually tie them onto a trellis. Supported on a trellis, they grow 8-10 ft. long. In years when I don't attach to trellis, they ramble low and mound on themselves. The flowers are absolutely gorgeous, especially if I pruned properly & nourished well. They will repeat bloom later in a smaller flush. Later in summer the lower half does get pretty ugly though--looks like it's dry and dead, but that's normal. If you cut off all the lower stems, you also cut off next year`s blooms, & the vine will have to start over next year. It's said these do well in containers; I`m now digging these up & potting them in large containers, so I can move them when they turn brown.

On Mar 4, 2013, Krootie from Weirton, WV (Zone 6a) wrote:

Purchased a sad example of Dr. Ruppel on a sale table for only 50 cents. Thought I really didn't have room for it, but would chance and use it as a container plant with an extra supporting trellis that had been sitting rusting in a fruit cellar. That was 10 years ago. It spends winter in my garage and enjoys the summer outside providing such beauty and pleasure.

On Mar 4, 2013, papa1 from Dearborn, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Wow, that is a real purdy plant. I think I will get one.

On Mar 4, 2013, ClevelandLinda from Cleveland, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is a gorgeous flower! Mine is about 5 years old and continues to bloom well here in Cleveland, Ohio. As someone else posted, it would rather gather at the bottom and grow outward than use the trellis to grow up. I try to tie the vines to the trellis when I can weave them out of the wound up bundle at the bottom of the plant.

On Jun 13, 2007, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

My Dr Ruppel does very well in full TX sun with a little protection from nearby shrubs. IME heavy mulch around the base is essential.

On Jun 13, 2007, Junctioncats from Cambridge, VT (Zone 4a) wrote:

Clematis, especially Ruppel does very well in Vermont, but it must be trimmed back carefully each fall and we fertilize on an every two week schedule beginning in Mid May. The pic I just posted, when it shows up, is going to look "fake", but it really IS Dr. Ruppel on our front porch!

On Mar 24, 2007, catcollins from West Friendship, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have had a vine for 2 full years now, against a trellis at the gate to my backyard. It does not do a good job of using the trellis, tends to grow away from the support instead of up, and will only grow to 3 feet for me. However, it blooms reliably over several months, and the flowers are large and stunning. It is a show-stopper despite its lack of height and is a wonderful greeting for guests to our yard.

On Jun 15, 2005, Tjsangel from Warren, OH wrote:

I have The President clematis and this one planted together. The President has about 10 blooms while Dr. Ruppel has only one. Not a heavy bloomer at all for me.

On Jan 3, 2005, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Awarded RHS Award of Garden Merit.

On Dec 11, 2004, sadie_mae from Central, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Lovely blooms. Shorter than some clematis that I have. It blooms from the ground up and also offers some rebloom later in the summer.