PlantFiles: White Rabbit's Foot Fern, Silver Hare's Foot Fern, Bears Paw Fern
Davallia tyermanii

Family: Davalliaceae
Genus: Davallia (dav-VAL-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: tyermanii (ty-er-MAN-ee-eye) (Info)

Synonym:Davallia tyermannii

Thumbnail #6 of Davallia tyermanii by Camillia84

By riddler
Thumbnail #7 of Davallia tyermanii by riddler

Positive NoLawns On Jun 28, 2012, NoLawns from Warrenville, IL wrote:

Bought one of these on 6-26-12 at Lowe's in Carol Stream IL for $5 in a 1 gallon. It was on clearance and half dead looking. Walking around the store, I pulled off a little dead at a time. By the time I got to the register it looked like a perfect specimen. It actually survived being in my car with the windows rolled up, and 92 outside for a few hours. I thought for sure it would look terrible. But, still looks great. Now to attempt to re-pot into a nicer container without breaking "the feet off" which are hanging 4" down the sides of the typical bright orange pot it made its journey in.

Positive Av8tor1 On Apr 30, 2012, Av8tor1 from London, KY wrote:

My cat loves to eat the fronds and then barfs.... silly cat.

Other than that, a wonderful plant.. I've had mine over 25 yrs and the last 20 in one pot. (see image)

Doesn't seem to need anything special; prefers shade or indirect light, regular waterings and very mild ferts if at all.

Simple and impressive, what more could you want.

Neutral bargaspj On Sep 24, 2010, bargaspj from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

I got this plant as a gift at work. It did very well in an office environment. I then thought I would take it home to repot it. It was a very hot day in June, I had one stop on the way home, and I had put the plant in the back of the suv. When I got home and took the plant out, it looked healthy. The next day it was completey wilted, the silvery brown legs turned a darker brown, and it began to shed it leaves. I don't know if I should repot it or not. Now four months later it shows little signs of life. I just hate to give up on it. Any suggestions?

Positive riddler On May 9, 2010, riddler from Saint Petersburg, FL wrote:

My Rabbit's Foot Fern started out as a houseplant but it wasn't very happy. I think I planted it too deep in the pot -- it never thrived and started to get brown and wither. Finally I re-potted it in a larger pot and made sure the "feet" weren't covered. I also put it outside in the shade and hoped for the best. Now it is much fuller and healthier.

Positive BayAreaTropics On Aug 29, 2007, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

One of the best " Furry animal foots/paws" ferns..the fronds are a darker green and slightly more compact than the common Davallia and the silvery white rhizomes offer a nice contrast to a dark pot . E-Z to grow.

Neutral Cretaceous On Aug 29, 2007, Cretaceous from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Davallia tyermannii is native to China.

El Cerrito, California