PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Early Goliath Hybrid'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Early Goliath Hybrid

Thumbnail #1 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by JefeQuicktech

By JefeQuicktech
Thumbnail #2 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by JefeQuicktech

Positive phillord On Jul 15, 2008, phillord from Cedar Creek, TX wrote:

I planted seed from Totally Tomatoes in Dec for my Spring garden and had beautiful results. Here, near Austin,Tx we need fast growing plants. We are still getting tomatoes in the heat of July? My Fall garden is about to begin in Sept but I can't find plants. I need to put plants in early to mature before frost in Nov. Try spraying all plants with molasses, Liquid sea weed and fish emolsion. Every 2 weeks on greenery works wonders. For 2 gal sprayer, 1/2 cup molasses, 2 T each of other.

Neutral blackbunny On Sep 21, 2006, blackbunny from Provincetown, MA wrote:

I got this plant as part of a "Goliath Collection" that also included "Italian Goliath", "Regular Goliath", and "Bush Goliath". I am giving it a neutral rating because both Italian (Nice for sauce & roasting) and Regular Goliath produced a little earlier! Early Goliath is tasty and healthy and performing well, but the fruit of the Italian was a few weeks earlier and while smaller, and not as good for slicing, was/is sweet and tasty; and the regular Goliath hybrid matured a little earlier and was both larger and slightly tastier than "Early". I guess I would just order Regular Goliath and skip Early if I ordered again. As I ordered plants instead of seeds, perhaps my order was mislabelled! BTW, I live on Cape Cod with its weird microclimate, so bear that in mind....

Positive JefeQuicktech On Oct 25, 2005, JefeQuicktech from Moorhead, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

One of the few tomatoes that can produce a massive plant and still produce a lot of tomatoes without too much pruning.

Very good flavor for a relatively early variety. Why "relatively"? It really doesn't produce fruit as early as other varieties. But the relative earliness allows it to really have strong production over the entire season here in the North.

Positive jillawilla On Mar 29, 2004, jillawilla from Belgrade, MT wrote:

We have a VERY SHORT growing season in the high altitudes of Bozeman, Montana. I had tomatoes the size of small melons in a fairly reasonable growing time! They are best left on the plant to ripen as long as possible, not much flavor if you pick early. The fruit was so heavy it bent all my tomato cages over. I am looking forward to planting these again this year, and many to come.

Positive FCivish On Mar 7, 2004, FCivish from South Jordan, UT wrote:

I will second the previous comments. Good producer. Good flavor. Beat Big Beef and Big Boy and Better Boy in my garden.

My tomatoes were listed as VFFNTASt resistant.

Positive NanaDeborah On Nov 3, 2002, NanaDeborah wrote:

Unbelievable producer all summer here in NE Oklahoma! A one-gallon plant was a gift in spring that I put in a flower bed. It had 39 tomatoes on it within two weeks; produced 20-30 tomatoes a week thru early July, slowed a little in late summer and then reached 40 tomatoes a week in Sept. On Oct 10 I still had more than 100 tomatoes on the ONE plant. On Nov. 1st, expecting a freeze, I pulled all tomatoes off for the winter. Besides another huge bowl of tomatoes, I also pulled (& photographed!) lots of flower buds for the tomatoes that would-have-been . I never fertilized or used any type of pesticide, found only one cut-worm and biggest advantage (probably) was automatic watering system in my flower bed. This super-tasting & producing tomatoe inspired me to learn and experience tomato-seed saving for the first time.

Positive jallaway On May 26, 2002, jallaway from Houston, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

A new variety for me this year. Grown to maturity from seed under poor conditions in Houston. This variety did better than all others. Great production, great taste, and generally good disease resistance on the foiliage.

Valemount,