Angel Trumpet, Angel's Trumpet 'Double White'

Brugmansia x candida

Genus: Brugmansia (broog-MAN-zee-ah) (Info)
Species: x candida
Cultivar: Double White
Synonym:Brugmansia x candida flore plena
» View all varieties of Brugmansias

From hardwood cuttings

From hardwood heel cuttings

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

By air layering

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Brundidge, Alabama

Stewartstown, Pennsylvania

Humble, Texas

Spicewood, Texas

On Oct 15, 2014, feltingirl from stewartstown, PA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I am in zone 7b and have kept a beautiful brug for 10years. it s variegated leaves with peach flowers. It is in the size pot I'm happy with. I need to trim back .Only one branch has a Y on it. can I cut the other branches off? Only the Y branch bloomed this year.

On Oct 14, 2014, lynnde20 from Bushnell, FL wrote:

I absolutely love angel trumpet. I ordered 3 from a catalog about ten months ago. They are in 3 planters in full sun. I am in central Florida so plants require almost daily watering unless it rains about an inch. I can't decide whether to plant in ground or cut back for the winter. It does freeze here and I know they will need to be brought in or covered well. They grew from about 2 inches all 3 are about 5 feet high.

On Oct 14, 2014, jbuk from dartford
United Kingdom wrote:

Have grown these lovely plants for many years ,always as pot grown and take them through winter,now at the age of 76 i find the pots hard to transport , and for the last 2 years have left them outside in a raised 3 metre octagonal bed they have survived i let the frost cut them down a bit, then cut them down to about a foot and mulch very well,then cover the entire bed with a few layers of fleece,at the moment ( October 14th ) they are 6-7 foot tall with dozens and dozens of white pink and yellow blooms all mixed , just waiting for the first frost to spoil the show ,before i put them to bed for the winter , and this is in Kent England about 15 miles outside London,
Keeping my fingers crossed for a not too bad a winter .

On Oct 14, 2014, Greenfingerappi from Harare
Zimbabwe wrote:

Just to let you know that this plant (Brugmansia) - we call it the Moon Flower, grows well here in Zimbabwe, I have a few in my own garden - white, cream and a lovely coral/pink. I have spotted a yellow one not too far away in our neighbourhood too......
I have grown all of mine from cuttings, all successfully.
Would like to try a bonsai one day......
I was always warned as a child to keep away from them.....although I have never heard of anyone being poisoned. Are they not linked to hallucinogens in the old days? As in witch's brews etc.?

On Oct 13, 2014, Emerogork from Wethersfield, CT wrote:

Seeds are winter hardy and it grows as an annual there in Connecticut. Self seeding, they show up in the strangest places...

On Oct 17, 2013, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Elegant is the first adjective that comes to mind when describing this brug. Mine gets sun all day and it doesn't seem to mind too much. But Fall always seems to be its best time.

On Dec 3, 2007, daigu from San Anselmo, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Does well in the ground in the hill country near Austin, but needs regular water and feeding during the height of summer in order to bloom. Afternoon partial shade helps. I cut it back to the ground and mulch heavily for the winters.

On Nov 18, 2005, Moonglow from Corte Madera, CA wrote:

The blooms are quite elegant. Long corolla tube that tapers down before the skirt opening. No obvious insect problem. Seems to prefer cooler weather.

Noting bloom time here in Corte Madera: early to late November.

On Oct 10, 2004, Ponditis from Lincoln City, OR (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant is a strong grower and has no problems with spider mites even though the plant touching it was covered with them. It bloomed all summer off and on and in the final flush of summer right now it has finally dropped its skirts. I too would say it would do great in cooler summer temps.

On Oct 27, 2003, springsong from Brundidge, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant likes cooler climates It has bloomed very well here but hasn't dropped it's skirt, till the temps dropped here. It has a fresh smell, My only white and I must say my favorite Brug thus far. It isn't bothered by aphids like some of the other whites i have seen. Very heavy blommer. blooms in flushes.

On Aug 31, 2002, tiG from Newnan, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This one has bloomed constantly all summer for me in full sun. It's never drooped and never been bothered by mites.

On Jul 14, 2002, Abutilon from Coal Center, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is probably the finest Brugmansia I grow.
Nothing compares to its beauty, especially when seen as darkness falls.

I like the coloured and fancy brugs. But 'the whites' have a specialness all their own.