Blanket Flower, Indian Blanket, Gaillardia
Gaillardia x grandiflora 'Goblin'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gaillardia (gay-LAR-dee-uh) (Info)
Species: x grandiflora (gran-dih-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Goblin
Additional cultivar information:(aka Kobold, Dwarf Goblin)

Orange

This plant is resistant to deer

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Logan Lake,

Akron, Ohio

Gibsonburg, Ohio

Glouster, Ohio

Painesville, Ohio

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (2 reports)

Cottage Grove, Oregon

Menasha, Wisconsin

Twin Lakes, Wisconsin

Sundance, Wyoming

On Oct 4, 2011, NH_Lakes_Region from Pittsfield, NH wrote:

I planted a couple of these, as mature plants, at the front of a bed, in mid-May. I've gotten continuous blooming all season, with new blooms coming up now, early October. I WANT this to spread - the flowers are beautiful, and it attracts bees and butterflies like crazy. It's also very low-maintenance.

The only "negative" is that the stalks are covered in a somewhat rough "fur" and expired flower heads can feel like needles poking into your hands if you try to dead head with bare hands. I suggest dead heading with gloves, if you dead head at all. (I dead headed early in the season to keep the plant looking neat, but since late summer left all the dead flowers on.)

On Mar 14, 2011, ferngrrl from New Orleans, LA wrote:

Back in Pueblo, CO, these did great. Now, in New Orleans, these do great, in spite of humidity and freezes in the winter (the ground doesn't freeze here, though).

Goblin does tend to flop over, but that's easily remedied. And they do grow upright, even after they flop over. Like an S shape on it sside.

In May 2010, I tossed some seeds into an ancient concrete planter box on a concrete patio next to a metal toolshed. Soil was old, sandy, clayey, with some compost tossed in.

These crazy goblins bloomed from early fall *through the winter* and are still going strong now (March 2011).

Next I'm going to toss some seeds on some of the sandy-shell area that was under the concrete I pulled up.

On Aug 23, 2010, nutsaboutnature from Algonquin, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Love it!!!
This is my first year with "Goblin". I added three to my order from Bluestone on a whim since they were on sale & the pictures on DG looked so beautiful.

I could not be happier. They are full & gorgeous & have not stopped blooming all summer with very little care. Even the seed heads are pretty, but I read if you deadhead they'll continue blooming till autumn so I force myself to remove them.

The bees & butterflies love them too so all the activity around them is enjoyable to watch.

Definitely a keeper!!

On Jun 7, 2009, cmsjjdr from Panama City, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have these planted in an area that is gravel and sand. They require no care and bloom almost year round. It takes a very prolonged cold spell to kill the plants to the ground. They freely reseed though so I have not had to do anything to these since I got them several years ago. Two years ago I noticed I had some that bloomed with the trumpet shaped petals and some that are half trumpet and half the regular petals. I found out that my neighbor about 4 houses down had the other type and they have crossed. That is ok with me though. This plant does self seed very well though so that needs to be considered when planting. I now have a nice healthy blooming plant growing in a crack in the driveway.LOL

On Nov 22, 2008, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This plant is a non-stop bloomer from early summer to mid-fall in my garden. It requires little care and is quite vigorous.

On May 28, 2007, efbiosis from Oakland, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I'm considering taking this out of my garden. The plants flop and the stems are not very attractive, there are better varieties out there like 'Arizona Sun' and 'Burgundy'.

On Aug 16, 2006, charulbharat from Roswell, GA wrote:

My Georgia summer started out great with these beautiful blooms but in late july the leaves started to lose the great green color and became yellow or white.i have them in my mailbox area and they are still blooming but don't look as good as before.

On Jul 29, 2006, jg48650 from Pinconning, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

When I planted this last year, it was in a 4'' pot. It must now be 9'' across. It started blooming very early, in late May. It is still blooming, and I deadhead it regularly. It is drought resistant, as it is growing well near a mailbox with rocky, sandy, poor soil, and it does not get watered as much as the other plants. The only minor complaint is that some of the leaves seem to be fading. They were once a nice green color, but some are now yellow and white. Still, it keeps flowering!

On May 14, 2006, moptopjen from Sterling Heights, MI wrote:

These babies grow from May to October for me with so little care. Yellow and dark orange-red, and plentiful with attentive deadheading, or ...spent flowers are still cool looking if you want to pay less attention to them. Plus, other gallardia at other heights looks great and behave similarly for a low-maint garden.

My fave!

On Jan 15, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a cute little Gaillardia that is small enough to not flop. Light aids germination of seeds. Blooms June-November in my garden.

On Dec 9, 2005, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I am not sure what could go wrong with a Gaillardia, they all ask for so little and give so much.

On Jun 21, 2005, mellielong from Lutz, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I voluntarily take care of the flower beds on both sides of the front of our street. My side has a great oak over it, providing shade for my flowers in zone9b's humidity and heat. The other side of the street has absolutely no shade and most things just fry to death in the Florida sun. But not my blanket flowers! They provide great color and their foliage always looks so fresh and green. A definite pick for anyone looking for a plant that can withstand heat. Also a good choice if you live in a neighborhood with watering restrictions (like me). They get a little wider than I expected, which is a good thing. And they have mulitple buds and flowers covering them at any given time. Next year, I plan on adding more varieties of blanket flowers to the neighborhood.

On Dec 28, 2004, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Beautiful plant and long blooming for me. It draws the attention of everyone that walks through my gardens. It does self sow, but I make sure to hoe out the babies or transplant them, so I've not had an invasive problem with this plant.

On Oct 13, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Gaillardia is a plant that likes soil to be a bit drier, so don't overwater it. This variety is no exception. It's flowers are yellow, orange and red and are striking. Needs full sun to grow well and needs deadheading after blooms fade. It is a major attractor to bees, butterflies, birds and resistant to rabbits and deer.

On Sep 22, 2003, Gard4Life from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

One of THE BEST plants I've ever grown. Neat, upright stems, but it does spread. Gorgeous colorful blooms from June through frost in my area. Love it! Highly recommend it.

On Jun 1, 2003, lauburt from Vancouver, WA wrote:

Flowers prolificly and the color is very cheerful. Self-sows freely and can be invasive, so remove babies as soon as they sprout. Bees, butterflies and birds love them! Not too tall and looks great in the front of a bed!