Hummingbird Sage, Texas Sage, Scarlet Sage
Salvia coccinea 'Coral Nymph'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Salvia (SAL-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: coccinea (kok-SIN-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Coral Nymph
Additional cultivar information:(Nymph Series; aka Cherry Blossom)
» View all varieties of Salvias

Coral/Apricot

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Auburn, Alabama

Palm Harbor, Florida

Pensacola, Florida

Riverview, Florida

Tallahassee, Florida

Tampa, Florida (2 reports)

Winter Springs, Florida

Sumter, South Carolina

Abilene, Texas

Alice, Texas

Alvin, Texas

Austin, Texas (3 reports)

Beaumont, Texas

Broaddus, Texas

College Station, Texas

Conroe, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Grand Prairie, Texas

Lampasas, Texas

Leander, Texas

Longview, Texas

Port Lavaca, Texas

Round Rock, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Spicewood, Texas

Spring, Texas

Stratford, Texas

Tomball, Texas (2 reports)

Weatherford, Texas

Manassas, Virginia

Bremerton, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

Pewaukee, Wisconsin

On Nov 19, 2014, DavidLMo from St Joseph, MO wrote:

Wondering why there are two separate entries for this plant with somewhat differing data - e.g. hardiness zones.

See:

On May 10, 2013, TexasDollie from Dewey, AZ (Zone 7a) wrote:

This little jewel was a Mother Nature surprise, blooming out from under the deck stairs of our old house. So it will (down here in the San Antonio heat) thrive in part shade and decent water. I dug up the one that volunteered there and brought it with me to the new place, where it will join its red cousin under the Arizona Ash out back. Once it has seeded, I'll have some for trade and for spreading the hummingbird love!

On Apr 19, 2013, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love salvias so I'll buy almost any species / variety I come across. The peach flower color is beautiful and quite unusual for a salvia. Mine is growing very vigorously in a tiny pot, so I'm a bit worried about its potential for self-seeding and becoming somewhat invasive in my yard, though apparently this variety is less invasive / cold-hardy than the species.

On Jun 14, 2011, irishmist from Rochester, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I planted the hybrid variety 'Lady in Red' several years ago and it has reseeded readily and grown unprotected in the pots on my deck ever since. In subsequent years the plants are taller and sturdier than the original more compact plants. The hummingbirds do love it and actually find the taller blooms easier to reach.

On May 21, 2011, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have three Salvia coccinea varieties in my garden and all self sow every year. I have scarlet red, white and Coral Nymph. The red will pop up everywhere, the white and Coral don't seem to self sow as freely as the scarlet does, but I do have new plants each year in new places that came from seed. The mother plants come back in the same spots each spring also. The seedlings are very easy to spot and can easily be moved to a new place if you find them in an unwanted area. They do well in full sun or shade.

On Jan 14, 2011, Robynznest from Pittsburg, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

This beautiful plants self sows itself every year and looks exactly like the original plant. I haven't had to plant any new coral nymphs for 3 years now. So I think in this area the plant files are wrong about the seed.

On Nov 11, 2009, Tammylp from Lima, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Love this salvia, but it seems to have more blooms in the morning, possibly before the overhead sun is upon it. By mid afternoon, its blooms are either closed or dropped.

On Apr 16, 2009, craftyorchid from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

I received this as a 'mystery plant' from my Mom year before last and am so glad to have finally found what it was! I planted this in partial shade in a garden in my front yard in late June, and was disappointed when it wilted back and stopped flowering. I didn't realize that the blooms had just spent and it self-sowed in at least 7-8 different places in my garden! I even found it popping out of a tiny little crack between my sidewalk and my house! I tilled up my garden to plant a bulb garden that year, but I'm sure if I'd let it be I'd have seen it again the following spring.

I'm definitely going to buy some seeds of this so I can enjoy it again!

On Dec 3, 2008, Florida9 from Palm Harbor, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I started 6 plants from seed 3 years ago, and now have dozens. It reseeds readily in my unmulched beds of sandy soil, but is not invasive since little plants are easily pulled. Mine stay 18" - 24", flower year 'round and are loved by the bees. They grow equally in full sun or partial shade. A beautiful wisp of pink and white that compliments many others, including black and blue salvia.

On Aug 12, 2008, abitabar from Abita Springs, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Love this plant so much. It is part of a pink garden that I created this year to go around a new pink crape myrtle. It is one of about 10 different pink bloomers and caladiums that I planted along the walkway from the carport to the back door -very nice to come home to. The hummers love this salvia the best and it has started to self sow. Can't wait to transplant the seedlings.

On Jul 22, 2008, robcorreia from San Diego, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

Butterflies, hummers and birds absolutely LOVE this plant!

On Nov 17, 2006, Shirley1md from Ellicott City, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

A wonderful colorful & compact Salvia loved by bees & birds. I wintersowed the seed and it bloomed the same year! So easy to do!!

On May 18, 2006, sallyg from Anne Arundel,, MD (Zone 7b) wrote:

It self sows for me dependably and thrives through Maryland heat and humidity. Emerges kind of late in spring but grows and blooms till frost.

On May 27, 2005, Kelly333 from Longview, TX wrote:

I love this beautiful salvia. I planted one last year, and it self sowed into 6 plants this spring. I am thrilled. Heavy bloomer at my place. However, this plant did not survive the winter. Treat as an annual only.

On Apr 19, 2005, barbur from Port Lavaca, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant has been a jewel in my garden. It has bunches of delicate looking pink and white blooms. It seems ironic to me that those blooms are on such sturdy plant. It has thrived in my south Texas sun and heat. I dead head it and it rewards me by blooming constantly. I threw the spent blooms back into the garden not realizing how it reseeds. Plants came up in the fall that I shared with all my neighbors. The parent plant and the seedlings even bloomed through the winter and our 10 inches of snow!

On Jan 16, 2005, LilyLover_UT from Ogden, UT (Zone 5b) wrote:

This pretty salvia is great for attracting hummingbirds. It's easy to grow from seed, and it repeat blooms throughout the summer.

On Jun 17, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Although this plant usually is grown in full sun, it can be grown in partial shade in South Central Texas. It looks best planted in front of darker leafed plants so that the beautifully colored flowers standout. It is a prolific self-seeder. Unwanted plants can be easily pulled and discarded, planted elsewhere or potted and shared with friends and/or neighbors. When replanting or potting, the plant will wilt. Just keep watering it every day until it is established. Once established, do not over water. Although not necessary, dead head the blooms for faster reblooming. If the plant looks scraggly in midsummer, prune it back to about half its size (or clip off less if you do not want to shear it this extremely). It will quickly recover. This salvia keeps blooming until the first frost, dies ... read more

On Sep 23, 2002, hummer_nut from Montgomery, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

A very pretty salvia. In zone 8, it acts like a perennial during mild winters, but it self sows if seed is not collected. It would make a nice container plant.