PlantFiles: Bailey Red Twig Dogwood, Redosier Dogwood, Red Osier Dogwood
Cornus baileyi

Family: Cornaceae
Genus: Cornus (KOR-nus) (Info)
Species: baileyi (BAY-lee-eye) (Info)

Synonym:Cornus stolonifera

Inconspicuous/none

By grafting
By budding

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

By kennedyh

Thumbnail #6 of Cornus baileyi by langbr

By langbr
Thumbnail #7 of Cornus baileyi by langbr

Negative wpgranny On Oct 9, 2010, wpgranny from Waite Park, MN wrote:

I chose this based only on "Red Twig Dogwood" name and wanted the neat little bundle of red twigs that I see along the highways in the wild. Instead I have a 6 foot shrub that I've had to prune back several times to keep it off the steps, etc. I guess I forgot to read the tag that said "Height 8-10 feet". But I can't say it didn't thrive in this climate!

Positive Lizard272 On Nov 9, 2009, Lizard272 from Lafayette, CO wrote:

I have two and they are hardy, but have remained rather small in our climate. They receive mostly indirect sunlight. I would say they are a nice, controlled addition but not a "showstopper".

Negative maxsue On Jul 27, 2008, maxsue from Greenacres, WA wrote:

I planted this shrub based on the height and width indicated on the plant tag. It is now 13 feet tall and over 16 feet wide. As it is next to our driveway, I now must figure out how to dig it out or continuously prune it to stay in bounds. It is as big as a regular unnamed dogwood I have in my backyard. Don't believe the plant tags!!!

Positive kimmisk On Apr 22, 2008, kimmisk from Raleigh, NC wrote:

I found this plant at a speciality nursery and bought it. My husband and I just love it! The winter color was so bright and red and was a great contrast against the Yoshino Cryptomeria Cedar trees behind it. Since I didn't prune it much, we were rewarded with flowers in the spring. I happend to be at Home Depot today and bought 2 more! First time I have ever seen them there. They were a great price also - only $20.00 for 3 gallon pot.

Positive BeckyHogenkamp On Aug 25, 2007, BeckyHogenkamp from Maupin, OR wrote:

I bought the shrub because of the color and the name,(My grandaughter is Baily) and it has proven hardier than I expected. I live in zone 7. Sagebrush, Juniper trees and tumbleweeds are most common. I've given it some shade but it tolerates drier and hotter weather than I thought it might.

Positive lupinelover On Jan 11, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Ted-twig is primarily grown for its winter-interest; the stems turn either red or yellow in cold weather, making a garden interest. It grows best in moist soil, but after it is established, it takes months-long drought without missing a beat.

Best twig color comes from severely pruning this every year or two; therefore most flowers will be lost since it blooms on old wood. White berries are produced in fall if left unpruned that birds relish.

Pottsville, Arkansas