PlantFiles: White Velvet, White Gossamer Plant, Hairy Wandering Jew
Tradescantia sillamontana

Family: Commelinaceae (ko-mel-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tradescantia (trad-es-KAN-tee-uh) (Info)
Species: sillamontana (see-yuh-MON-tah-nuh) (Info)

Rose/Mauve

Thumbnail #6 of Tradescantia sillamontana by palmbob

By dave
Thumbnail #7 of Tradescantia sillamontana by dave

Positive Hibiscusfan On Aug 1, 2014, Hibiscusfan from Villas, NJ wrote:

Have been growing this delightful plant outdoors here in southern New Jersey as a foundation plant for the last six years or so. Plant often re sprouts eagerly during winter mild spells, only to be frozen back. Still it recovers in the spring and grows beautifully here!

Positive trackinsand On Aug 28, 2013, trackinsand from mid central, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

dies down to the ground in late fall, whether you have it inside or out, but comes back better than ever every spring. my experience is that it is root hardy to 17 degrees at least for small stretches of time in florida but our ground doesn't freeze.

Positive ThomPotempa On Dec 10, 2010, ThomPotempa from Houston, TX wrote:

My 8 year old daughter wanted me to buy this thing since it was fuzzy. Never heard of it and didn't look like anything that would be rugged. Put it in a bed that gets no artificial water (rain only), watered it once, and forgot about it. We know have a severe draught and this thing is just flowered away. Amazing.

Positive KatLvr On Nov 29, 2010, KatLvr from San Antonio, TX wrote:

A genuinely tolerant plant!

I acquired mine about a year ago, and have it in a cocoa fiber hanging basket, where it received nearly full sun for most of the summer. The foliage turned pinkish, but the plant seemed none the worse for wear.

Apparently it's partial to cooler weather, though: this autumn, it's bloomed nearly non-stop. Blossoms close at night, and reopen during the day.

Since it's in a basket, rather than the ground, I plan to bring it in when temperatures dip below freezing!

Positive burchambrenda On Sep 21, 2009, burchambrenda from Bremen, GA wrote:

Your plant looks more like mine that the others posted. Mine does not have hairy or fuzzy leaves. But it does have stems like the ones in your picture. Does your flowers open in the mornings and close in th evenings? Any info you can offer to me would be very much appreciated! Please see my plant pics posted online and let me know if they are the same as yours! Thank you in advance!

Positive nomibird On Jul 16, 2007, nomibird from Gassville, AR wrote:

I have this planted outside as a border plant for my front bed which is in full sun on the south side. It does die back in the winter but comes on strong in the spring and blooms from the middle of June to frost in October. In northern Arkansas not much stands up to the full sun, dry summers but this thrives in it. Absolutely carefree.

Positive 1plant_freak On May 11, 2007, 1plant_freak from Bath, NY wrote:

Hello, I received one of these plants as a gift. I absolutely love the looks of it and the flowers. It has grown so much that I need to repot it, but I would also like to give some clippings away to friends. I need to know if this can be rooted out in a glass of water, like other wandering jews?... I kepp this mainly outside during the summer here in NY, but once the colder weather comes, she gets put indoors. She does seem to thrive on neglect. But if anyone could let me know if they can be rooted out in water, I'd truly appreciate it. Thank you.

Positive palmbob On Apr 13, 2006, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Nice looking plant in the summer in my zone (9b-10a), but completely deciduous each winter- leaves turn to a big glob of mush and dry up and flake away in later winter.... but every spring it makes a comeback. I haven't seen too many other folks with this sort of experience (maybe one in Texas) so I suspect I have this plant in a very marginal zone.

Positive suncatcheracres On Jul 8, 2004, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I bought a pot of this plant last year from a local small nursery. I had never seen it before, and as the pot is overcrowded, I want to divide it and put it into two hanging baskets. It has never bloomed, but perhaps I have it in too much shade. But I have been taking cuttings and giving them to friends, as it grows very rapidly here in the heat and humidity of a Northcentral Florida summer, zone 8b. It overwintered quite nicely in a very makeshift greenhouse, but then we had a very warm winter last year.

Positive Wingnut On Jun 16, 2004, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Very interesting member of the wandering jew family. I had a nice sized pot of this (see pictures), but it got left outside in a freeze. I thought it was toast, so planted a fern in the pot. Believe it or not, it resprouted ~ two years later!!!

Positive broozersnooze On Aug 10, 2003, broozersnooze from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Have had a beautiful, large, lush hanging basket of this for over 2 years now. The lavenderish flowerets go beautifully with the fuzzy leaves. Heard another name for this is "white coat" wandering jew. Hope this one isn't as agressive as the shiny-leafed plain green or watermelon stiped type. This one remains outdoors all year & so far have not had any "renegades" growing in the yard like the others.
Have a beautiful hanging basket of this for over 2 years now, live in Jax, Florida (zone 9). This stays outside 24/7/365 &, so far, has weathered the winter beautifully.

Positive kayinms On Jan 17, 2003, kayinms wrote:

Started mine from a little bitty piece. Easily rooted,easily grown, blooms continuously. When not in bloom, the leaves are beautiful alone. Turns from pretty to gorgeous with the contrast between the velvety soft white leaves and the pink flowers. Thrives on neglect. Makes a beautiful hanging basket.

Grenoble,
Umatilla, Florida
Bremen, Georgia
Hawkinsville, Georgia
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Warner Robins, Georgia (2 reports)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Monterey, Tennessee
Broaddus, Texas
Burleson, Texas
Kerrville, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Spicewood, Texas