White Bryony

Bryonia alba

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Bryonia (bry-OH-nee-yuh) (Info)
Species: alba (AL-ba) (Info)

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Partial to Full Shade

Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

Eugene, Oregon

Trenton, Utah

On Jun 25, 2014, scirpidiella from Pińczw
Poland (Zone 6b) wrote:

This species - Bryonia alba - has numerous common names: White Bryony, English Mandrake, Wild Vine, Wild Hops, Wild Nep, Ladies' Seal, Tetterbury, Snakeweed, Devil's Turnip, Bastard Turnip.
It is frost hardy (to zone 6) perennial climber to 4m (=14ft) tall, common in Poland (but not native to this country) in wild state (roadsides, hedges) and gardens.
The thick tuberous roots were been used to falsify the carved dolls called "Homunculus" (= little Homo, originally made from Mandragora roots).
Also medicinal and strong poisonous plant.
Very ornamental (lovely leaves and numerous black fruits), strong climber, not noxious (non invasive) in Poland.

On May 15, 2006, tweeber from West Valley City, UT (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've heard it was introduced in the 1970's. It is originally from England. Washington has it listed as a class-b noxious weed. It is mainly spread by birds eating the berries and by the berries dropping. I believe it is a problem plant. The vines can grow up to 150 feet and cover the tops of trees. It dies in the winter and the dead vines produce a mat that collects snow, weighs down trees and damages them. I've seen some trees on my property overrun by white bryony that have died. The whole plant and berries are poisonous, but can be used for medicinal purposes. I wouldn't recommend getting rid of the plant unless you wear protective clothing. It can irritate the skin easily from the liquid in the roots and stems. The only way I've heard to effectively get rid of it is damaging or removin... read more

On Apr 29, 2005, TrentsWife from Eugene, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

Although on some other sites I have read it is said to not grow in Oregon, but it is on the Noxious Weed list in 42 states. And I can attest that it does grow in Oregon. If you get this plant in your yard, I strongly advise you to remove it. Right now, in late April, it has white flowers on it, which will soon change to dark red or almost black berries. It is said that getting the juice of the berries on your skin will cause severe urinary/bladder problems. If livestock eat it, it causes symptoms similar to locoweed, i.e: hallucinations, bowel obstruction, ect.
The only reason I left this plant in the ground, is because I wasn't sure what it was. But I am now. And I am going to remove it. I unfortunately have some digging to do, because it is a tuber plant. It's also ... read more